Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD space

Options
  • 10-12-2014 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Hey hey,

I've got a 120Gb kingston ssd, it holds my operating system Windows 7, most used programs which would be light room, photo-shop, capture 1, Premier pro, but my hard drives full I can't use any of the programs because it says the scratch disk is full but I reassigned the drive for my scratch disk :confused:

Does any one know of a program I can use for scanning the hard drive to see whats taking up so much space?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I use this little program --> https://windirstat.info/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have an 80gb SSD and had similar issues. I moved the my documents folder to another drive along with the temp folder.

Windows defaults a lot of stuff to the primary drive which isn't good on an SSD, if you have the likes of zune installed it just eats up an ssd at an alarming rate.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I use Treesize Free. I find it to have cleaner output than WinDirStat. One thing a mate is having huge problems with lately is using Apple Devices and local backups with itunes. iTunes does not support changing the default backup folder (that lives on the system drive in the %appdata% folder) so if you have multiple Apple tablets or phones backing up locally try switching to cloud only backup instead. You'd be suprised at how much space these backups take up!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ScumLord wrote: »
    if you have the likes of zune installed it just eats up an ssd at an alarming rate.

Thats a name I have not heard in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I cleared out a load of old System Restore points to save space on my boot drive. I saved around 50GB of space this way.

Do this only if you're sure you don't need to rollback to previous system states.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/how-to-delete-old-restore-points-to-save-disk/28648a45-ac7a-4f14-95b6-cb91021566f8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've a 120GB SSD myself as my main drive and find it grand. ATM I have 68GB free out of 111GB available and I still have all my documents / pictures on the SSD. A few tips:

- move your swap file to a separate hard disk
    - store your browser cache in a RAM disk (much easier on the life of the SSD too - I use softperfect RAM disk)
    - regularly use ccleaner to remove temp stuff - it does a good job and it's free
    - it's probably obvious, but move all your large files to a separate hard disk. Downloads / music / movies / torrents, etc.
    - upgrade to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 if you haven't done so yet - it saves a good bit of footprint. Do delete the Windows.old directory though after you've retrieved all your data
    Thats a name I have not heard in a long time.

Ah c'mon, Windows Phone 8 is only 2 years old :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Hey hey,

I've got a 120Gb kingston ssd, it holds my operating system Windows 7, most used programs which would be light room, photo-shop, capture 1, Premier pro, but my hard drives full I can't use any of the programs because it says the scratch disk is full but I reassigned the drive for my scratch disk :confused:

Does any one know of a program I can use for scanning the hard drive to see whats taking up so much space?

99% it's photoshop causing the issues, depending on the resolution of the projects you work on PS will reserve any space it can find on the SSD/HDD as scratchdisk space.

Advertisement