Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Latest Samsung Tablet?

• 10-12-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Which tablet is Samsungs latest? Thinking of switching over from an iPad Air. Samsung's website features the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 but I've also come across the Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

The Tab S series are their latest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

its only a few months newer, both came out in 2014

personally , i'd rather the pro 12.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Are new models imminent or a long way off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Are new models imminent or a long way off?

Expect them next year, around April or May possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Pro 12.2 user here, very highly recommended.

Especially when used with the "proper" Samsung pen which is sold separately.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

why switch over

Samsung’s devices remain unfashionably coated in TouchWiz. Performance is hampered, memory is hogged by uninstallable custom apps and upgrades to the latest form of Android are therefore laborious and well off the pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

braddun wrote: »
    why switch over

Samsung’s devices remain unfashionably coated in TouchWiz. Performance is hampered, memory is hogged by uninstallable custom apps and upgrades to the latest form of Android are therefore laborious and well off the pace.

Touchwiz is mostly gotten rid of in a couple clicks to install another launcher.

Samsung devices are, by and large, well supported on XDA if you want to flash a custom ROM.

edit: and because samsungs naming scheme for devices is atrocious and impossible to keep up with, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_series#Model_comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Is it true that a lot of Android apps are not optimised for tablet form? I've been doing a bit of reading and I'll also be moving from my iPhone 5S to an Android device as well (potentially a Note 4).

There's tonnes of videos & articles online about custom launchers for Android smartphones but not too many for tablets. A Chromebook also springs to mind as a possible choice to pair with a Note 4.

Themes I'm currently looking at are Buzz, Themer & Audax. Has anyone used these on an Android tablet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

I have been using a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) tablet for the past 5 months or so and have to say that it is simply brilliant.
    I use Nova Launcher on all my android devices so no Touchwiz to be seen.

Performance is NOT hampered in any way, memory is NOT hogged by uninstallable custom apps.
    Apps can removed or disabled if required.

Combined with the S-Pen, this tablet is fantastic.
    I use the S-Pen functionality to take notes at meetings (which is why i bought it initially), kids use it for drawings.

Screen is superb. Use it for movies as well, not so much games.

Some apps may not be compatible with tablets, but you should not see them in the Play Store if totally uncompatible.
    Just bought a Samsung TV and the compatibility, screen sharing etc is unreal.

Also have Note 3 & Note 4 phones in the home which work just as well.

First decide which screen size is good for you (10 or 12 inch for example).
    Then have a look at weight etc.

TAB S is newer and generally more powerful compared to the Tab Pro, more memory etc.

Advertisement