Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starlet alternator squeal on load

• 10-12-2014 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 1997 Toyota Starlet. Everything is old except the alternator belt, which is new! It was squealing intermittently after the belt was changed (it's tighter now) and I've eventually managed to make it happen on demand. If I turn on lights, blower, rear screen heater, the alternator start screeching.

Would changing the battery help? It's a few years old - enough to have caps to put de-ionised water into. I've gotten two different answers from mechanics so now I'm not sure blowing the 80 quid will help. Couldn't hurt perhaps? How often does the average battery need to be changed?

Engine off, the battery reads 13.8V. Engine running it's 14.5V or so. Everything powered up and screeching a bit it reads 13.4V. Engine off and everything powered up it's 11.4V. This seems ok to me. Starts fine, runs perfectly, passes NCT every year - it's a Starlet after all :P

Edit: I realise this is one of those questions that might not have a direct answer. Just wondering if battery state can affect the alternator to the point of failure...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

if the belt is tight enough, the pulley on the alternator might be worn - when the load comes on, the belt slips on it

you should be able to get one

this sort of yoke :

https://en.as-pl.com/c/kola_pasowe_do_alternatorow

don't over tighten the belt to try n fix it - the bearing in the alternator will fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭carveone

gctest50 wrote: »
    if the belt is tight enough, the pulley on the alternator might be worn - when the load comes on, the belt slips on it

That makes sense alright. The belt is quite tight - certainly tighter than before - but I was assured that it was fine like that. But I did ask about the belt and he said - "if I loosen it, it might slip, and if I tighten it the bearing will fail". Hmmm.

I had an alternator go suddenly on me, one night, in the belting rain, 200km out from my destination in Banjoville, Florida and I'm not too keen on repeating that :rolleyes: So I'll head off and see what my local breakers has for me.

Thanks.

Advertisement