Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Charter changes regarding "Game Sharing" and "Regional Marketplaces"

Options
  • 10-12-2014 3:08pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

This new generation of consoles has brought many changes to how we play and purchase games, and with that, they've also brought some new challenges regarding the safe discussion of those, for both users and Boards.ie alike.

The guys in the office, along with the relevant Mods, have been discussing exactly how to deal with the fact that many of the posts on Xbox forum are now discussing subjects that are borderline fraud. They've now clarified what is legally acceptable to discuss, and we're making changes to the Forum Charter in light of that.

I'll go through the changes, and allow everyone to discuss the changes in this thread, but before I do, please check the [thread="2057093220"]Forum Charter[/thread] to re-familiarise yourselves with it.

So, to the changes:
    Charter wrote:
    Absolutely no discussion on how to evade restrictions on geographically locked content. This includes posts that describe the use of Proxies, VPNs and browser add-ons, along with questions like "How do I watch the US Netflix on my console?"

Basically, if you need to pretend you are accessing the internet in a different region/country, you are not allowed to discuss it.
    Charter wrote:
    Absolutely no discussion on how to use “Game Sharing” or “Account Sharing”. This may change in the future, but until Microsoft clarify what an "Approved Mechanism" is, as per their Terms of Use, this ban shall remain in place.

The fact is that swapping account credentials with people over the internet is against the Xbox Terms of Use, and as such, we cannot allow discussion of it. As it says in the rule, this may change if Microsoft clarify what an "Approved Mechanism" is, but we doubt that any clarification will result in discussion being reopened.
    Charter wrote:
    Absolutely no discussion on purchasing products that require the use of a false address. This includes buying from different Xbox Marketplace regions, Amazon, or anywhere that requires a fake address.

Basically, using a false address is a form of fraud, and we cannot allow discussion of illegal activities.

So, to break all the changes down into one sentence: if you have to do anything beyond "add product to cart, pay for product, activate product", then it is not allowed.

Conversely, if all that you have to do is "add product to cart, pay for product, activate product", then discuss away! Totally legal and up for discussion.

We get that this is a fairly big change to what is allowed on the forum, so ask us any questions in this thread.

We will be deleting any posts that infringe on the above from now on, but previous posts are too numerous to remove, so refrain from quoting them from now on.

We hope that you'll all work with us to implement this change, and to help make the Xbox Forum better.

Thanks,
    The Xbox MOD Team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Can I get clarification on using US prepaid cards to top up my account.

For Example : you can buy xbox live credit in US currency from sites like pcgamesupply.com using your credit card or paypal.
    these can then be redeemed by turning on your xbox one, selecting the US region and then using the "redeem a code" feature. The money is then added to your account and you can shop away.

At no stage during this process are you asked to provide an address of any sort.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Can I get clarification on using US prepaid cards to top up my account.

For Example : you can buy xbox live credit in US currency from sites like pcgamesupply.com using your credit card or paypal.
    these can then be redeemed by turning on your xbox one, selecting the US region and then using the "redeem a code" feature. The money is then added to your account and you can shop away.

At no stage during this process are you asked to provide an address of any sort.

This is totally fine. It avoids the false address fraud, and uses functions built into the Xbox One without violating the Xbox terms of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Also, just for verification. Discussion of regional marketplace bypass etc. ban applies to boards PM's too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Also, just for verification. Discussion of regional marketplace bypass etc. ban applies to boards PM's too?

Common sense on this would be if someone asked "how do I ???" and they get a response of "PM Sent" for example, that would be a breach of the charter.

We do not and can not view your PM's as MOD's and that would only ever happen at the top level in serious cases that I'm aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

calex71 wrote: »
    Common sense on this would be if someone asked "how do I ???" and they get a response of "PM Sent" for example, that would be a breach of the charter.

We do not and can not view your PM's as MOD's and that would only ever happen at the top level in serious cases that I'm aware of.

We don't have access to pm's, obviously. But I'd agree with Calex above, anyone saying 'pm for info' or 'pm sent' in relation to evading the sites rules will be actioned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

calex71 wrote: »

Got there ahead of me Calex, thanks.

Just to go a bit further, obvious euphemisms are obvious, and will result in action as well. So that's a no to "Recipes", "American Cousins" and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Yeah that's fine. I just wanted definite confirmation is all. Thanks for the replies...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

CatInABox wrote: »
    Got there ahead of me Calex, thanks.

Just to go a bit further, obvious euphemisms are obvious, and will result in action as well. So that's a no to "Recipes", "American Cousins" and the like.

recipes? I think your definition of obvious are somewhat different to mine! :pac::D

recipes? I think your definition of obvious are somewhat different to mine! :pac::D

I suppose it depends on which forums you read, but I still see that one pop up every once in a while.

Advertisement