Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked Ham...help

• 10-12-2014 3:54pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before but I could really do with some advice.

I'm planning on practising my Christmas Ham on Saturday… I’m not the best cook but I am getting better and more adventurous.

Last year I just boiled and nothing else a ham fillet. So at the weekend I plan to jazz up the boiling with a stock and bay leaves and do a glaze of cloves, honey, brown sugar, mustard and a can of cider.

Now here is my problem, what ham/gammon do I buy or does it really matter? :confused: I was in the butchers earlier and all I could see were massive joints and I don’t need a whole ham. The only other option I could see was ham/gammon fillets but these look nothing like all the “cooking” (bbcfood/Nigella/Donal Skehan/NevinMaguire etc.) websites they are more like this?

Would a fillet like that work out o.k. and should I go for smoked or unsmoked. (We do like a nice smoked bacon joint but again all I do is bake in the oven for 1½/2 hours nothing else, I really need to improve I know:o)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

The Ham fillets should be fine as long as they have a nice layer of fat and skin on it.

After you boil it, you need to remove the skin, but be careful and keep the layer of fat, this is important for the baking stage.

Keep it fat side up, score the fat and insert your cloves, finally pour your glaze over the top and bake.

Recipe:
    http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2013/0909/3970-irish-ham-fillet-with-mustard-and-honey-glaze/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭Grandadsbear

Overflow wrote: »

THANK YOU... that looks more like what I was looking at in butchers!!! Although a few of them didn't have the fat on which had me doubting myself!!!!

Looking forward to Saturday and giving it a go!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Should be fine. Just remember that the bulk of the actual cooking is done in the boiling stage, and the bit in the oven is just to finish it off. For a small piece of ham you don't want to leave it in too long or else you'll dry it out too much and/or burn the glaze.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭Grandadsbear

Just wanted to update and say a BIG THANK YOU. I made the ham using the recipe Overflow posted and it was divine... The size of the fillet really should have done us 2 days but all was devoured on Saturday evening!!!! YUM!!!!

Advertisement