Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reindeer in Dublin?

Options
  • 10-12-2014 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

So, fast question, is there anywhere in Dublin that carries reindeer meat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Should be, but speaking of reindeer, last Saturday was the day they took 5% of the Stags in from the Phoenix Park and put animal-friendly red paint on their noses, so kids can be brought up to the park to see if they can "Spot Rudolf"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yeesh. That's like having the Mona Lisa and spray-painting over it so your kids know what a Jason Pollock looks like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

99% sure you can't. We get it directly from Norway for Xmas.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    99% sure you can't. We get it directly from Norway for Xmas.

How much do you pay in shipping Tabnabs?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

You guys order reindeer meat especially for Christmas? That's kinda sick and devious. I admire that. I suggest you put a clown's red nose on the plate for the full Rudolph experience.

• Advertisement

I'm an atheist who winds up cooking christmas lunch every year. Reindeer carpaccio is delicious, delicious revenge (had it in Helsinki, it was *magnificent*).

img_9320-e1332485369661.jpg?w=900

(Nicer with blackberry or raspberry sauce than just the traditional olive oil/parmesan dressing though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Lidl are selling it in their UK stores for Xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Ikea sells Reindeer sausages AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Should be, but speaking of reindeer, last Saturday was the day they took 5% of the Stags in from the Phoenix Park and put animal-friendly red paint on their noses, so kids can be brought up to the park to see if they can "Spot Rudolf"

If that's true then that's fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If that's true then that's fantastic!

It is. They put red (animal friendly) food dye on their noses and then set them loose again. I took my baby niece up there, pretty much every single day last December. Did I see Rudolph? Did I fcuk ! :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Is it an expensive meat to buy....I could imagine it being very deer!!!

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Is it an expensive meat to buy....I could imagine it being very deer!!!
    Boom, boom!
    (And then you have 40lb or so of venison).

No, it's not that expensive in Finland, getting it here from there is the expensive part.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Sparks wrote: »
    How much do you pay in shipping Tabnabs?

We get it delivered by hand through family and friends. There are a number of Scandinavian shops in London, it's worth Googling and emailing them in case they can source it.

We get it delivered by hand through family and friends.
    Ah. Rats. :D

Oink wrote: »
    You guys order reindeer meat especially for Christmas? That's kinda sick and devious. I admire that. I suggest you put a clown's red nose on the plate for the full Rudolph experience.

Unlike Ireland with it's turkey and ham, Norway has many regional variations for the Christmas dinner, and Reindeer is one such meat. It makes sense when they are both farmed in huge numbers as well as roaming wild in the mountains.

reinsdyrsteik.jpg

It makes sense when they are both farmed in huge numbers as well as roaming wild in the mountains.
    Not to mention when they are absolutely delicious...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Would it be that different of a taste from venison?

I am sure you could source a sufficient quantity of venison as an alternative. I doubt many people could tell the difference and it would be much cheaper than getting a small quantity of Reindeer shipped in?

Maybe I am wrong I have never specifically tried Reindeer, but every other species of deer I have eaten has had a very similar taste.

Would it be that different of a taste from venison?
    I thought it was slightly different. Venison always seems to have a darker sort of taste to me (yeah, I don't have a fantastic vocabulary for describing taste). To me venison always mean stews and dark sauces. Reindeer tasted lighter than that. But that's a personal preference sort of thing.
    I am sure you could source a sufficient quantity of venison as an alternative.
    Easily, but I'd know it wasn't it :D

Advertisement