Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paris and London to ban diesel and maybe even classic cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    Mods, can we split this off into its own thread?

Done! Hope you're happy with the thread title I gave it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Thanks.

the other article said that they were going to impose a sticker system for pollutants on cars, currently it says that diesels over 13 years old will get red flagged, but I dont think its much of a stretch to presume that they will want to impose this system on all older cars.

one way or another the plan seems to be in motion to force our 'dirty' old 'polluting' vehicles off the road, or maybe only allow us out for special occasions. Instead we will be compelled to purchase shiny new clean soulless machines for exorbitant fees.

Capri wrote: »
    From 2020 'Daysels' banned in Paris- they say 60% of French cars are daysel so there'll be a major shake up somewhere :p
    Marlow wrote: »
    A lot more than 60% are diesel. Diesel is a lot cheaper in France than petrol and no model of a car is allowed to be sold without a diesel option being available.

The PT Cruiser for example could not be sold in France until a diesel option was available.

So that's a 180 degree turn on previous policies and will definatly cause uproar and road blockades.

/M
    Bigus wrote: »
    Prius wins again, no messing with the japs !
    This wins in my book, big guzzler V8 in an restored motor :cool:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/4791428803.html
    Marlow wrote: »
    Doesn't really apply to France though. No motor tax there, as it's financed over toll roads and fuel (and the fuel is still cheaper than here). Diesel is so much cheaper than petrol there, that the cost of maintaining your car is a complete different calculation compared to that article.

/M

Heres the rest of the relevant posts from the original thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

I live in Paris and the air quality is sh*t.In my opinion cars have no place in a city, especially one so well served by public transport. People can say that they have the right to drive in the city, but does this right trump the health of others? I love seeing classic cars on the road, however they pollute much more than soulness new cars so therefore they don't belong in the city.And who in a city has the space to work on a classic?

Well then why not ban ALL cars from the city?

this concept of selectively banning vehicles based on arbitrary constraints is a bit unfair.

Consider the overall carbon footprint of a shiny new car compared to a 20 year old VW golf, granted there may be slightly more particulate matter emitted from the golf, but that pales into insignificance when compared to the resoursce cost of the new car. Or is it simply that the vehicles used to mine the material for the new car, the ships that transported it, the foundrys that refined it and the factories which built it were not located in your back yard, and are therefore of no concern to you.

Is Shifting all that environmental damage elsewhere worth it for a small improvement to the lives of parisians?

Btw many people who live in cities drive classic cars, if you can park a shiny new car, you can park a classic, work gets done at a mechanics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

You can debate all you like over the level of 'pollution' from cars, regardless of if they are classic, or new(ish) or petrol/diesel.
    The reality is, the world is changing, and like it or not we are entering a similar era, as was around a hundred or more years ago, from horses, to steam, to cars, diesel or petrol.
    I've been to both Paris and London, and have never felt the need to use a car, such is the public transport system.
    Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of Dublin, or indeed any major town/city in Ireland.

Where would most people stand on retrofitting some classics with electric drive systems?

maybe some of the lighter ones, I think the Renault 4l would be an ideal candidate, or a frogeyed sprite.....

classic stylings with ecomentalist credentials

Well then why not ban ALL cars from the city?

I'm very much for that. Cars don't belong in a city. An electric car share system for journeys not matching transport networks to complement public transport which is family friendly is needed (a rammed metro is not a place for young kids, old people or disabled people).

Ok, where do you set the boundary?

if you live in the city centre
    if you live on the outskirts
    if you live in a suburb
    if you live in a satelite town which has reasonable public transport
    if you cant justify ownership of a vehicle based on some arbitrary usage conditions
    if the vehicle itself dosent fulfil some conditions to qualify as acceptable

where would you draw the line?

and more importantly, in a free society, what gives you the right to decide what I can or cant own

if you live in a suburb
    if you cant justify ownership of a vehicle based on some arbitrary usage conditions

and more importantly, in a free society, what gives you the right to decide what I can or cant own

I'm not saying what or can or can't own, just that you shouldn't be able to drive it in a city.What right is most important: clean air or the right to drive where you want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

This is all bs.
    Typical government lack of thinking.

Buy diesels we will incentivise it..

,,, time passes

How dare you buy diesels we'll penalize you.

I'm not saying what or can or can't own, just that you shouldn't be able to drive it in a city
    oh, so I can own whatever I want, I just need permission to Drive it:rolleyes:

.What right is most important: clean air or the right to drive where you want?

98183-106343-helen-lovejoy.jpg

Sooner or later it always comes down to this sort of spurious argument, a false dilema in a desperate attempt to shift focus onto the other sides percieved evil

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Where would most people stand on retrofitting some classics with electric drive systems?
    Anyone seen Gattaca?

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_119177-Gattaca.html

I can think of worse things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

if you live in a suburb

It also largely depends on the city (or country) you live in. Taking London as an example, a very old city dating back possibly a thousand years to when it was first settled, as transport/people's needs changed down through the years, so did the city. They honed a public transport system for a number of reasons, one possibly that not every one had private transport. How long has London had an underground railway ? Over a hundred years I'd imagine. It's possible to get off an aeroplane, walk a few hundred metres, and take public transport probably to your front door, cheaply, reasonably quickly and without fuss.
    Contrast that to Dublin, where every journey is a nightmare, regardless of if it's private or public.

Thanks, I was trying to remember where I'd seen a futuristic electric DS

Advertisement