Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Difference in Tax for two Cars....

• 10-12-2014 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Just found this online. What do people think. I like the use of Borat.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭les succulent ducks

I cant upload images.... bollocks......

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Describe it for us. Perhaps with an interpretive dance?

ha ha...... feck it anyway.... I found it online.... it was something to do with car tax. The difference between a 2005 car and a 2015 car....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Save the image and then upload it to imgur.com.

Or even just use the url on imgur

Boards.ie - Why can't I upload images? It tells me I cant upload image due to me being a new member? I have been a user since Nov 2009?

What the devil is the meaning of this...... Poste haste....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need 50 posts min to upload afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Boards.ie - Why can't I upload images? It tells me I cant upload image due to me being a new member? I have been a user since Nov 2009?

What the devil is the meaning of this...... Poste haste....

Do you have a breathalyzer connected to your computer under some court order maybe?

hold it..... I have 45 posts...... let me post things.....

TCYFEL5.png

YAY!!!! It worked.... there she is now anyway.....

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Two completely different engines and isn't a good comparison.

What would be a good one would be a post-2008 Fiat 500 with the 1.2 engine and a 2002 Fiat Punto 1.2 same engine and emissions.

Indeed but I think it is trying to show the difference in value of the Big one on the left compared to the value of the one on the right. Surely at this stage the tax should be higher for these type of cars etc....

YAY!!!! It worked.... there she is now anyway.....

Pretty good in the end.
    The text in the bottom left corner is a bit cringe.

By the time a chape tax diesel makes it to my budget they'll all be financial write offs due ro necessary repairs/replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

sounds like some kind of lefty outrage! let's take to the streets!

Indeed but I think it is trying to show the difference in value of the Big one on the left compared to the value of the one on the right. Surely at this stage the tax should be higher for these type of cars etc....

You mean those who can afford pay more should pay more? Madness, what sort of way is that to treat your cronies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some people seem to overlook the fact that resale values of cars with higher motor tax tend to be poorer than those on lower motor tax. Motor tax has a very influential factor on resale values so if you want something with cheap motor tax be prepared to pay more for the privilege. A car that costs more to tax tends to cost less to initially buy and vice verse.

Primera is a poor example though as even if they were cheap to tax they wouldn't be any more desirable. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

its just not right. the poor aul fecker with the 10 year old almera having to pay 1000 in tax.

and lets be honest, the rich person with the land rover only paying 400.

Its just not right.

tax should be based on the value of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

its just not right. the poor aul fecker with the 10 year old almera having to pay 1000 in tax.

and lets be honest, the rich person with the land rover only paying 400.

Its just not right.

tax should be based on the value of the car.

No, they should be fair and base all cars from say the year 2000 on Co2 rates.
    The horsehit of it that I can buy a 2008 version of my car where the emissions are the same but I pay nearly 1k a year in tax just because it's a 04. Idiots, the lot of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

bear1 wrote: »
    The horsehit of it that I can buy a 2008 version of my car where the emissions are the same but I pay nearly 1k a year in tax just because it's a 04. Idiots, the lot of them.

ah Co2 is a joke also, sure there are people that have older cars, before any of this Co2 rubbish came out and and im sure the tax on them based on Co2 would be through the roof also.

I still think it should be based on the value of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Evogue purchase probably payed €20k in VRT and VAT, such payments to the state should be encouraged, if they are fooled by cheap motor tax as cheaper motoring long may it continue, makes motoring for the rest of us cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Yeah, it's supposed to be based on emissions but my old 1.9A4 costs twice what we pay for a 1.9 Golf, just because it's not as old! Same engine.

As well as that, they set the new rates too low and had to ramp them up when they realised. Our Golf was only €155 or something when we got it but it's nearly twice that now. We have it 3 years.

If they did the same pro-rata to the pre08 tax the A4 could be nearly €1300 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

To look at this another way, the Co2 tax system made a lot of pre 2008 big cars very affordable second hand as the high tax was a discouragement to buying them.

Lots of lads running around in pre 08 big BMWs and Mercs which they wouldn't have otherwise. And they are happy enough to pay the tax for the privilege.

A mate has a fab 06 740 which cost near 100k new. Jesus, it's nicer than my house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Lets be honest, this is more accurate:

Taxi_zpse51687e8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

If they did that, all pre-08 cars would get unfairly stung though. Take a VAG car with the 1.9 TDI engine. By and large, the CO2 output for a typical user for a car with that engine would be largely the same, regardless of year. But since the squeeze came on CO2, VW tweaked the gearing and engine management systems and EGR's and the like to reduce it a lot for the CO2 official text (which bears little resemblance to real world driving).
    So folk would be paying wildly different rates for the same engine.
    Also, the rates and the stages they increas in are stupid. The lower ones only increase by €10 for every 10 grams of CO2. The top one increases by €1250 in one go, the difference between 224 grams and 225 grams. Even the lower steps are crazy. Starts going from 390 to 570 to 750 to 1200 to 2250. Crazy. It should be much more incrimental.
    ah Co2 is a joke also, sure there are people that have older cars, before any of this Co2 rubbish came out and and im sure the tax on them based on Co2 would be through the roof also.

I still think it should be based on the value of the car.
    I'd kind of agree. Fairest way might be to bracket the cars by original selling price. 10-20k a flat rate of €150. 20-30k, €250, 50-60k = €550 etc, up along the chain. Then add 20 cent to the price of fuel for the rest, so you pay based on the car you drive and based on the amount of usage. The reason I'd even include the rate based on the original cost of the car is to ease the amount by which they'd have to increase fuel cost.
    Also to keep in touch with the "you think you can own something expensive, we'll take some money off you for that!" mentality that served us so well over the years...
    The Evogue purchase probably payed €20k in VRT and VAT, such payments to the state should be encouraged, if they are fooled by cheap motor tax as cheaper motoring long may it continue, makes motoring for the rest of us cheaper.
    VRT is cheap enough if the tax is cheap though!
    Rob Thomas wrote: »
    Yeah, it's supposed to be based on emissions but my old 1.9A4 costs twice what we pay for a 1.9 Golf, just because it's not as old! Same engine.

As well as that, they set the new rates too low and had to ramp them up when they realised. Our Golf was only €155 or something when we got it but it's nearly twice that now. We have it 3 years.

If they did the same pro-rata to the pre08 tax the A4 could be nearly €1300 !
    They set too many too low down. They should have scaled it more fairly. If folk were happy paying over €350 for a 1.2 litre car pre-08, why did they need to set the CO2 bands at €104 and €150 for brand new cars with CO2 lievels only averagly low rather than particularly low?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Holly crap ! Aren't you too busy out protesting to be on here spouting this sh1te !
    The landrover is supposedly cleaner and in our tax system they therefore pay less.
    If you think it should be more to tax because its worth more do you not think the 25k they've probably paid in vrt and vat is not enough ?

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Holly crap ! Aren't you too busy out protesting to be on here spouting this sh1te !
    The landrover is supposedly cleaner and in our tax system they therefore pay less.
    If you think it should be more to tax because its worth more do you not think the 25k they've probably paid in vrt and vat is not enough ?
    No we need another tax on top of that. You can't be getting away with paying for something once you know.

Advertisement