Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Premier League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Well done Ando, if he's hitting 50% on the doubles then he wins just about every time regardless of who he's playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Gotya wrote: »
    IMO great night of darts, the standard is so high!!

Looking back I can't believe Chisnall lost the last leg, kicked off 180, had 6 darts to finish a three dart out, should he of went, treble 18, for a shot at the bull?

I begrudgingly answer this at the risk of agreeing with mardle :eek::D

TBH I think he took the sensible option. Anderson was on 200+ and with the 1st dart bang in t20 it was just waiting for another. He could have taken a go at t18 with his 2nd dart but moving away from t20 he could have missed.

Also didn't Chizzy have 2/3 bounceouts when throwing at the bull during the game? He may not have been feeling to confident about thrwing at the bull, especially with the added pressure of it being to win.

I don't mind what he done because he made his mind up early. I can't stand players(,eg Taylor a lot) on 161 for example, hitting t20, t17...then stopping to check scores and then setting up the double. I think if you're moving around the board specifically for that big checkout then you go for it. If you're opponents not on a checkout, why not go t20,t20 & 1/9 to set it up. It should be easier(for them!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Devastator wrote: »
    I begrudgingly answer this at the risk of agreeing with mardle :eek::D

TBH I think he took the sensible option. Anderson was on 200+ and with the 1st dart bang in t20 it was just waiting for another. He could have taken a go at t18 with his 2nd dart but moving away from t20 he could have missed.

Also didn't Chizzy have 2/3 bounceouts when throwing at the bull during the game? He may not have been feeling to confident about thrwing at the bull.

I didn't get to watch last night but in my opinion as a ****e darts player, if the first dart is in T20 you should stay there. Rod Harrington is always in favour of this too. You've found the line so stick with it.
    Maybe if your opponent is waiting on a finish go T18 to leave a shot at Bull if you get the single but if Anderson was well back then he did the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Chizzy did 100% the right thing last night.

For the first time I've heard Part was talking out of his hoop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

I think Chizzys downfall was stoping to psyc himself up before throwing. He's a rythem player shoud of just fired it it.
    Sickend Anderson won it, He's coming across as a real grumpy man the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

ya i dont like who gary has become since winning the worlds, a big mouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

DuckHook wrote: »
    Pl included even though it's pretty much an exhibition that sly sports run :rolleyes:

If there even was such a thing as a Triple Crown, surely it would be World Champs, World Matchplay and World GP. 3 different formats and all 3 at least have "World" in their name!

Iron Hide wrote:
    If there even was such a thing as a Triple Crown, surely it would be World Champs, World Matchplay and World GP. 3 different formats and all 3 at least have "World" in their name!

Truth. Theres 4 big majors in Pdc. World Championship, Match Play, Grandslam and the Premier League. The World Cup is a ridiculous tournament but still I'm looking foward to watching some players that we haven't seen over the last 5/6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Truth. Theres 4 big majors in Pdc. World Championship, Match Play, Grandslam and the Premier League. The World Cup is a ridiculous tournament but still I'm looking foward to watching some players that we haven't seen over the last 5/6 months.

The premier league is an exhibition, and how do you deem the world cup ridiculous when the premier league has multiple relegation nights etc.

premier league imo is not a "major" and never should be its purely a sky pr exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

The Grand Slam of Darts would be my third biggest after the Worlds and the Matchplay. Then the Grand Prix.

The Premier League is a load of tripe.

• Advertisement

I can see where ye are coming from with the exhibition comments but thats changed over the last few years with the massive money now in it. Heres the biggest prize money for winner in all 5 biggest tournaments.

World Championship £250, 000

Premier League £200, 000

World Matchplay £100, 000

World Grand Prix £100, 000

Grandslam of Darts £100,000

The second biggest winning prize money on the tour. Double what the other 3 are worth. Thats a major in my eyes.

Practicaly every tournament on the PDC is an 'exhibition' really like, what with the pantomime atmosphere, walk on girls, boxing style walk ons, fancy dress crowd and even a fancy dress player. Hyped up like a toddler on cola bottles . It's halfway between darts and a circus. Some of ye love a right ole moan. If ye want real darts, follow the BDO or INDO rather than bitching about everything every single week. A major in any *sport?* is one that has the biggest prize money.

* ?* - For a different thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Prize money doesn't come into it. It's an invitational tournament and a non-ranking event. It can never be considered a major when there is not a clear qualification route. If for example the top ten the world qualified and the prize money given out went towards ranking then it would be a major but in it's current format it clearly isn't.

Isn't the Masters in golf an invitational event?

And the top 6 ranked players qualify for the PL. Some of ye just dont seem to like anything about it, which is fair enough.

Practicaly every tournament on the PDC is an 'exhibition' really like, what with the pantomime atmosphere, walk on girls, boxing style walk ons, fancy dress crowd and even a fancy dress player. Hyped up like a toddler on cola bottles . It's halfway between darts and a circus. Some of ye love a right ole moan. If ye want real darts, follow the BDO or INDO rather than bitching about everything every single week. A major in any *sport?* is one that has the biggest prize money.

* ?* - For a different thread.

Its really not a "major" its an exhibition that isnt a ranking event and people are given wildcards based on their perceived popularity, bunting is in there purely to sell the bdo/pdc angle and has not even won a floor event (open to correction).

Your argument is basically "because sky said it" its a major and people saying otherwise are bitching and moaning.

Your wrong...its that simple.

And the top 6 ranked players qualify for the PL. Some of ye just dont seem to like anything about it, which is fair enough.

lol your struggling now..

http://www.augusta.com/masters/players/qualifications

lol your struggling now..

I asked a question? Thought it was invitation. Look lads yeve the top players coming out telling ye every week its up with the worlds, any player thats not on it is desperate to be in it. Ok it mightnt be an official major but it is a major tournament.

Its really not a "major" its an exhibition that isnt a ranking event and people are given wildcards based on their perceived popularity, bunting is in there purely to sell the bdo/pdc angle and has not even won a floor event (open to correction).

Bunting qualified for every tv tournament last year,and got to the later stages of most! Quater finals of the worlds too. In his first year. He was in it on merit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It's worse than that, only the top 4 qualify with 6 wild cards being picked.

It has nothing to do with not liking it, it's a non-ranked invitational tournament. You can't argue with facts. It's not a major.

• Advertisement

Bunting qualified for every tv tournament last year,and got to the later stages of most! Quater finals of the worlds too. In his first year. He was in it on merit.

Thats debatable, imo bunting was there mostly for sky/wayne mardle to use the BDO angle and it was mentioned a hundred times every match he played.

he is a good player but lets admit the truth about why he was there.

I asked a question? Thought it was invitation. Look lads yeve the top players coming out telling ye every week its up with the worlds, any player thats not on it is desperate to be in it. Ok it mightnt be an official major but it is a major tournament.

The masters has strict qualifying criteria and only a few people get invites.

Thats debatable, imo bunting was there mostly for sky/wayne mardle to use the BDO angle and it was mentioned a hundred times every match he played.

he is a good player but lets admit the truth about why he was there.

Every player in the PL played in the BDO before. No one has come over an been as successful as Stephen in his first year since Barney moved over. Yeah he's been fairly poor this year but he had an unbelievable year last year.

Ok it's technically not a major, but it has the most prize money, biggest crowds, probably one of the most wantched tournament. It's a massive tournament. Not some mickey mouse exhibition as many of ye seem to think. It's highly sought after by the players.

Every player in the PL played in the BDO before. No one has come over an been as successful as Stephen in his first year since Barney moved over. Yeah he's been fairly poor this year but he had an unbelievable year last year.

Ok it's technically not a major, but it has the most prize money, biggest crowds, probably one of the most wantched tournament. It's a massive tournament. Not some mickey mouse exhibition as many of ye seem to think. It's highly sought after by the players.

How many of those players where defending BDO champ when they switched? I have nothing against Stephen bunting by the way he is a good player and could easily win a few "majors" if he keeps his head screwed on.

I agree with all of this. Sure it has £200k prize money for the winner, of course the players want to win it! It isn't a major though because it's non-ranking.

Just like I have always said that the Grand Slam also wasn't a major because it was non-ranked but starting from this year it is now a ranking event and can rightly be considered a major.

How many of those players where defending BDO champ when they switched? I have nothing against Stephen bunting by the way he is a good player and could easily win a few "majors" if he keeps his head screwed on.

You cant defend the BDO championship if you switch, so no one has? But Barney switched over without defending his title, Jelle Klassen did too.

You cant defend the BDO championship if you switch, so no one has? But Barney switched over without defending his title, Jelle Klassen did too.

You might want to check your facts on this, barney won the bdo in 2005..lost the final in 2006... klassen won 2006 but lost the 2007 final.

The first line is nonsensical at can only imagine its an attempt at being pedantic.

im out.

You might want to check your facts on this, barney won the bdo in 2005..lost the final in 2006... klassen won 2006 but lost the 2007 final.

Klassen did not lose the 2007 BDO final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Every player in the PL played in the BDO before.

Lewis & Wade? :confused:

I see where both sides of the argument are coming from but I wouldn't call the PL a major or an exhibition, for me its just another tournament, be it with huge prize money. I like the PL, I often goto the Belfast nights, watch it every other week and often can be found talkin ****e about it on here but because its invitational(mostly) and non ranking is why I don't think it can be considered a major. Due to the sheer size, prize money and obviously its a competition which is why I wouldn't consider it an exhibition either.

• Advertisement

I am wrong. Barney won the year before he switched. Lost the final the year he did.
    Klassen won the year before he switched and got knocked out the year he switched.

How has a discussion on the premier league turned into this :-/

See ye all here next year

Advertisement