Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed cam vans

• 10-12-2014 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭

The other day I pulled out to overtake a snail doing about 70 in a 100 zone on a straight stretch of road.

I tend to prefer to overtake quickly so I left some space and sped up and overtook. Of course as I'm slowing back down after the maneouver I notice a speed van tucked away. So the only straight stretch of road for about 7 miles is the most dangerous stretch of road which is a bit bizarre but anway...

Chances are I was doing 105kph. My question is do the speed vans monitor traffic going in both directions? It was parked on the side of the oncoming traffic and when I went past it I was back on my normal lane. Also is there any margin of error whereby if you are going 5% over speed limit it wont trigger? I don't know how the new vans work but I didn't see any flash it was dark at the time.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭tmg

coming into longford town perchance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Xcellor wrote: »
    The other day I pulled out to overtake a snail doing about 70 in a 100 zone on a straight stretch of road.

I tend to prefer to overtake quickly so I left some space and sped up and overtook. Of course as I'm slowing back down after the maneouver I notice a speed van tucked away. So the only straight stretch of road for about 7 miles is the most dangerous stretch of road which is a bit bizarre but anway...

Chances are I was doing 105kph. My question is do the speed vans monitor traffic going in both directions? It was parked on the side of the oncoming traffic and when I went past it I was back on my normal lane. Also is there any margin of error whereby if you are going 5% over speed limit it wont trigger? I don't know how the new vans work but I didn't see any flash it was dark at the time.

Cheers

Speed camera points out of the rear window, covering traffic travelling in post directions, if thats any help.

If you were doing 105, changes are you were doing slightly less, most speedos read slightly over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Xcellor wrote: »

Cheers

Your speedometer is biased so you should be grand. I was doing 110 according to my speedo when I passed one in Kilkenny and I was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

tmg wrote: »
    coming into longford town perchance?

No it was Athlone to Ballymahon. Coming out of the village forget the name, not glasson the one further along. Its a new speed camera I think but I've seen it three times in the space of a few weeks. It's a joke they put them on straight roads. There are so many dangerous spots on that road and yet they choose the safest stretch ... anyway rant over

Advertisement