Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development machine specification

Options
  • 10-12-2014 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Can someone please recommend a good spec for an entry-level development machine? Would an Intel Core i5 3Ghz, 4GB Ram and 250GB harddrive suffice? I have a fairly limited budget to acquire some new machines and just need something that will do the job - say run either:
    • Microsoft Visual studio and SQL Server EXPRESS
    • Netbeans/Eclipse with MySql

I'd agree that the more RAM the better (and harddrives), but I just need to be sure about the correct processor.

Someone had recommended (2nd-hand) Dell Optiplex 990 SFF) with similar spec as per above, so I am considering it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh, and apologies if this is the wrong forum for this post :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What kind of dev work?

Unless it's something really intensive I wouldn't think it would take much in the way of hardware. So the specs you have there seem adequate. But I don't really have much to go on!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

What kind of dev work?

Unless it's something really intensive I wouldn't think it would take much in the way of hardware. So the specs you have there seem adequate. But I don't really have much to go on!

Mostly web development

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ikoonman wrote: »
    Mostly web development

Yeah those machines would be more than adequate. Big screens is what they'll need!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I agree with the big screens I also add a decent keyboard and a comfortable mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If it isn't a short term setup, maybe a small form factor machine should be avoided, in favour of a midi desktop or tower, providing space to add.

A high resolution screen or two medium resolution 1600x900+ screens is highly desirable so input and output are simultaneously in front of your eyes, so two or more video outputs (Need not be the same type of output, a mix of displayport / hdmi and VGA connected monitors is a common config).

Second hand machines would be fine, you'll very likely want to add memory, but this can be purchased from Crucial Memory or the likes.
    An SSD for the main work area, with a hard drive for bulk storage of virtual machines.
    It can save hours of devtime per week, payback cost within a month, if someone there is able to reinstall windows on the new drive.

Will automated testing and source control be held on external machines (a paid internet service), on an internal machine or on one of these dev machines?

• Advertisement
Advertisement