Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sturdy cat towers

• 10-12-2014 7:57pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Zooplus has (finally!) started selling really sturdy cat towers. Normal towers are only 8cm pillars; this works but the towers tend to only last a few years if that before they become very shaky. Having seen this type of 15cm pillar towers myself I can say it makes a huge difference in how sturdy they feel and how long they appear to last. Of course it does not come for free but if you want a cat tower that will last for ages they are definitely worth considering (sadly Zooplus does have the biggest selection yet; I saw some really huge once with price tags in the high 800s previously which were a cat dream but that price tag, ouch!).

Anyway, here's another site that also does them and let you customize your tower a ton more. Not used them myself yet (I was going to order one in 2015 to replace one of our current towers) but I like what I've seen on their site but once again you pay accordingly for quality.

So do you know of any other sites that do 15cm (or thicker) pillar based cat towers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

what kind of towers would you recommend for a kitten/only cat??
    Ive never had one of these things, but sounds like a good thing to have in a new-to-cats-household?
    Has anyone made one from scratch? My husband is very DIY and loves to cobble stuff together - although he says he wont waste his fabulous (!?) sailing cord for a cat.
    Any tips/suggestions very welcome
    (p.s. I assume these towers are aka scratching posts?? or do they have other functions??)

Just googled some of these links Nody - THE PRICES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? AARRRGGGHHH!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd recommend it as it combines scratching tower with the ability to look down on their kingdom; for a one cat house you go with something cheaper (Ebay.de for example sell a lot of cat towers around 60 EUR mark; search for Katzenbaum) or something like this in a corner looking out in the garden. To your first question; yes you can build them yourself quite easily to be honest. If you look at a basic tower it's basically a round core pillow (round because it makes it easier to scratch and wrap the sisal rope, can be bought on ebay) with platforms every 40 or so cm in height and you then can put some anti slip carpet on them (glued) to make sure they don't slip :)

An alternative to buying a tower though would be to build a cat highway; serves the same thing giving cats a place to rest and look down on things. Your SO could build something like that from scratch easily (once again I recommend a sturdy carpet or similar to cover the wood to make sure kitty does not slip off) and there are a ton of ideas on the internet if you search for it. Here's a youtube video doing a combined sort of deal from scratch; let your SO go wild :P

or a more normal tower here.

Advertisement