Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New MTB Trails in Sligo coming soon- Open Day Sat 13th Dec.

• 10-12-2014 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Taken from the Northwest MTB Club Facebook page
    Finally we are able to spill the beans on this... Coolaney development company, Coillte, Sligo co co and Northwest mtb have been working hard over the last two years to try and realise Coilltes plan to develop what is to be the biggest trail network in the Country right here in Sligo. If you would like to learn more please come to our open day in Coolaney community center, Coolaney Co.Sligo this Saturday 13th of December between 12am and 3pm....... This will be a amazing project with 80 klms of Single track, 8 individual Loops, 20% category 3, 50% category 4 and 30% category 5(black). A Gravity focused area and 8 separate descents back to the trail head!!
    Unfortunately we cant show you the trail network or maps here but they will be available on the day.
    See ye there.
    Damian, Kyle, Bryan and Gavin

https://www.facebook.com/NorthWestMTB?fref=nf

Might have to buy a new Mountain Bike :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Taken from the Northwest MTB Club Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/NorthWestMTB?fref=nf

Might have to buy a new Mountain Bike :D

Just seen this and was going to post it here, I've been thinking about joining the club for a while now, well done to the lads for getting this underway, looks like a serious alternative to the other sites further south and something for all the bikers in the west and northwest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Great to see Coillte working with MTB clubs like this...

Was at this today, plan looks great, huge plot of land that will ve used for the trail network, with some great views, and was told they even had a guy come down from Glenties for a look.

This will be really good for Sligo, I can see plenty of business for the locals during the summer months.

Funding just has to be secured but as Tenzor said, it's great to see Coilte work with the clubs to secure places to ride rather than clamping down on unofficial spots. Taking a leaf of of the UK's book, and that's no bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

This is massive news-fair play to all involved.couldnt make it yesterday but will be keeping an eye out for developements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

Funding still has to be secured? what do they reckon it will cost? €2m?

• Advertisement

jmrc wrote: »
    Funding still has to be secured? what do they reckon it will cost? €2m?

€5m, but when I say funding to be secured they're in the process of that. Don't know much about that though, other than it all looks promising but still work to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

So how long until we can ride on it?

So how long until we can ride on it?

The first phase (about 20km) they hope to have open summer 2016. Given the terrain that's not a bad timeframe at all.

10 minutes from the house if anyone needs a spare bed in 2016...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Boomchickawawa

I'm one of the steering committee. As it stands it's a funding issue from here on. Permission is got, all ducks are lined up. It will hopefully go to tender first quarter 2015 to run along side funding applications.

Kyle

• Advertisement

I'm one of the steering committee. As it stands it's a funding issue from here on. Permission is got, all ducks are lined up. It will hopefully go to tender first quarter 2015 to run along side funding applications.

Kyle

Hi Kyle,
    I met Bryan and Damian on Sat who filled me in on the details, well done to ye all, it'll be great to see when completed and ye deserve credit to the work put in so far. There's plenty on boards who will be interested so maybe you can pop in from time to time with an update!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

il be travelling from kerry to this if it goes ahead :) ROI needs more trails, congrats, hopefully funding will come through

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Boomchickawawa

rizzodun wrote: »
    Hi Kyle,
    I met Bryan and Damian on Sat who filled me in on the details, well done to ye all, it'll be great to see when completed and ye deserve credit to the work put in so far. There's plenty on boards who will be interested so maybe you can pop in from time to time with an update!

We had a great turn out through out the day, thanks for calling in . I'll try to keep ye informed as best I can but there is only so much I can put up in a public forum. ..

Just an update, the guys are looking for signatories for an online petition to show support for the project ahead of meetings with ministers and other groups with the aim to secure funding, this has potential to be huge for Ireland, not just the Northwest, another place to ride in Ireland on purpose built trails for all sorts of skill levels can only help advance the sport of mountain biking and by extension all forms of cycling which will also help grow tourist and cycling related businesses in general, and open the doors for the chance of developments in other parts of the country should this prove successful, even if you're not a MTB'er, and just popping in to see what this thread is about, show your support, it really is all positive, and it takes 30 seconds.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/coolaney-national-bike-park

Follow the progress on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Coolaney-National-Mountain-Bike-Centre/1541297972788179

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Just signed.

I'm not a MTB'er but a resource like this might convince me to leave the roads!

Would be a fantastic resource for the north west and the country in general, best of luck with it.

gambeta_fc wrote: »
    Just signed.

I'm not a MTB'er but a resource like this might convince me to leave the roads!

Would be a fantastic resource for the north west and the country in general, best of luck with it.

Yeah, the trails will suit all ages and abilities as far as I can see, spread the word, those guys have put a lot of work into it so it'd be great to see it come to fruition.

When it's too miserable for the roads, pick up a cheap MTB and head for the hills, great fun for a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

signed

Advertisement