Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City of Culture

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

phog wrote: »
    Why, there are loads of culteral events happening in the city. Remember, these events are now happening without the same financial backing as was there last year.

They are not very well advertised if they are happening. I see very little advertised this year at all. Its as you were before the CoC as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

vkid wrote: »
    They are not very well advertised if they are happening. I see very little advertised this year at all. Its as you were before the CoC as far as I can see.

Where are you looking? and who are you following to find out what's on?
    limerick.ie is pretty good for updates to what's going on in the coming weeks, as are quite a few limerick twitter accounts, like the limerickartsoff Limerickcitybiz ilovelimerick and then follow the theatres such as limetree and ul or the theatre companies such as bottomdog, then follow the history ones such as the huntmuseum, limerickslife, even the limerick library (I think they are only on facebook) then follow the galleries such as ormstonhouse, limerickgallery, the event venues like milkmarket and dolans even the colleges and universities use social media for a lot of their advertising now, there are lots out there who advertise all the time, but with little or no budgets they can't really be putting out a glossy brochure or even place adverts in the press so online is how they do it and as you have access to the internet you can see what they are up to and what is going on without leaving the comfort of your own home.
    Sometimes you have to look for what you want and not just wait for it to land in your lap (I know this sounds harsh but it really does get my goat when people can't find anything on but aren't looking either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I seldom listen to Live95FM or read the local press but I follow them on Twitter and find that they are very good at retweeting events and links to their own articles/news items.

I've also added my email to the Limetree Theatre and the City Library which keeps me informed on the events that are directly involved in.

Some Twiiter Accounts I follow which might be of interest to those looking for something to do with regrds to culture.

LimetreeTheatre
    Limerick Panto Society aside from promoting their panto, they tweet about a lot of other events in Limerick

People of Limerick is an account curated by a different person each week so gives a great insight into Limerick and what's happening
    Limerick Museum
    Limerick'sLife her website is an excellent resource for anyone interested in local history
    TheTweetyStone

There are many more but these give a flavour of what's happening around the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

To be honest I do not use facebook or twitter that much,. I hate facebook..but I do know if you are depending on social media channels as the basis of any advertising or marketing campaigns then there is a huge risk of missing a big chunk of your target market. Social media should be used alongside other media as part of any campaign, or you have to spend a considerable amount of money on it to give it the reach required.

There are very few businesses that can rely solely on social channels....and probably the reason people like me believe there is very little on since the end of last year. It is not enough for any event, business or organisation to tweet or facebook an event and expect it to reach to their target market. Its cheap / free advertising but rarely works without running in parallel with other mediums, you cannot ignore traditional media either...ie print, radio etc

"Sometimes you have to look for what you want and not just wait for it to land in your lap (I know this sounds harsh but it really does get my goat when people can't find anything on but aren't looking either)"

I take exception to that. Thats a huge assumption and plainly wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

vkid wrote: »

I take exception to that. Thats a huge assumption and plainly wrong.

But you have said yourself that you do not use "facebook or twitter that much" so the assumption isn't wrong as social media is the way forward, it is how people advertise and if you don't use it but still want to know what's going on, then you are waiting for someone to drop the information in your lap.

Printed and Radio adverts are expensive and if you are running an event out of a passion for the subject that passion doesn't often turn into a budget, free mediums are the only ones available to many.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

City of Culture NYE Festival page posted a concert poster this morning very strange 1 st activity in ages

Advertisement