Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Dr John Bradley

• 10-12-2014 8:42pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have just come across the news that Dr John Bradley, an archaeologist in the History Dept, died last month after a short illness.

I never had him as a lecturer myself but I know others who did and he was always popular. RIP Dr. Bradley

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Don't think the History Dept handled this very well. Didn't even notify students

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Don't think the History Dept handled this very well. Didn't even notify students

That's what I found very unusual. There isn't even anything up on the website.

His former employers, UCD School of Archaeology, had posted up announcements about him when he died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

That's what I found very unusual. There isn't even anything up on the website.

I was scheduled to have him for two lectures the week after he passed away and they never said anything, a different lecturer just arrived and told us

I was scheduled to have him for two lectures the week after he passed away and they never said anything, a different lecturer just arrived and told us

I didn't realise that he was still working as I had seen that he was ill. That's awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭TheBody

Perhaps the family didn't want to make a big deal out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Had Dr Bradley for a class back in 2008, absolute gentleman, RIP.

TheBody wrote: »
    Perhaps the family didn't want to make a big deal out of it.

I would have thought there was a big distance between 'not making a big deal of it' and just informing his own students.

And he did get an article about his death in the Kilkenny papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

All staff got an email when he died and a follow up with details of his funeral.

I'm not sure what the procedure is in these cases. I do recall when a Professor in the Philosophy department passed away, the SU organized a bus to take students to his funeral.

They definitely have a procedure they follow for when students pass away. It seems odd that they don't follow a similar procedure for staff.

Anyway, may he rest in peace.

Advertisement