Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bus Service Waterford - Dublin via motorway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

They don't accept free travel passes so the fare will have to be very good for them to stand a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

ryanf1 wrote: »
    They don't accept free travel passes so the fare will have to be very good for them to stand a chance

Huh?

They don't make anything from people with travel passes (do they?), so how/why would that affect the fare / their profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bagelbytes1

The fare is 10 euro for both Waterford-Dublin and Kilkenny-Dublin according to their comments on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

Huh?

They don't make anything from people with travel passes (do they?), so how/why would that affect the fare / their profit?

They do get paid. The taxpayer pays over 70m.a year but the transport operator doesn't get the full fare, only an agreed amount. Which is why some of them don't participate.

Huh?

They do get a fixed fee. They won't get any OAP passengers or disabled passengers like me who have passes. It is great value but I can get the train in just the same amount of time completely free of charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Very intersting indeed.
    Bit of compo for Bus Eireann on Sundays(cos of the students)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It appears to be 2 hours 15 minutes either way? You would think the motorway would be faster.

looksee wrote: »
    It appears to be 2 hours 15 minutes either way? You would think the motorway would be faster.

That would seem fairly spot on to me. Remember a Bus moves a bit slower than a car

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Bus eireann quotes 2.5 hours for their service.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1398336179-004.pdf

I did Waterford to O Connell St in 2 hrs, leaving Waterford at 9:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

ryanf1 wrote: »
    That would seem fairly spot on to me. Remember a Bus moves a bit slower than a car

I am saying that the journey takes the same length of time by the old route or the motorway. I would have thought the motorway would be faster.

http://www.dublincoach.ie/timetables-fares/waterford-kilkenny-dublin-bus.php

Sorry, mis-read the timetablle, there is 15 minutes in the difference, still does not seem much considering the number of stops on Bus Eireann and the fact it takes the old route.

• Advertisement

It takes just about 2 hours by car so that makes me think it's right

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Bus eireann quotes 2.5 hours for their service.

I did Waterford to O Connell St in 2 hrs, leaving Waterford at 9:30.

Yea but as someone who has availed of this service a few times, it definitely takes longer than 2.5 hours for bus eireann to get from Waterford to Dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

As far as I know a bus can't travel faster than 80km/h legally stop that would be why the time is only slightly faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

MacGyver wrote: »
    As far as I know a bus can't travel faster than 80km/h legally stop that would be why the time is only slightly faster

100Kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Vic_08

looksee wrote: »

It leaves the motorway to stop in Kilkenny which is a significant detour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Yeah that detour is always a pain in the hole. Bus Eireann run that route Waterford-Kilkenny-Dublin for one of their services and only once or twice did anybody actually get on/off there!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bm 83

Anyone else think that having the first bus of the day at 6am leave from waterford rather than dublin would be more beneficial? Get people to dublin by 8-15 rather than 9-15. I don't envisage too many getting the 6am from dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

bm 83 wrote: »
    Anyone else think that having the first bus of the day at 6am leave from waterford rather than dublin would be more beneficial? Get people to dublin by 8-15 rather than 9-15. I don't envisage too many getting the 6am from dublin.

Personally I'd prefer 5 as I have to be at work in Santry by 8, but I know that's wishful thinking.

Does anybody know if they offer a 10-trip or weekly ticket? I'll give a call myself tomorrow to find out if nobody here knows.

Advertisement