Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cinema in McDonagh?

Options
  • 10-12-2014 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

Is this still going ahead? The other cinema has gone even further downhill since it changed to IMC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

thelad95 wrote: »
    Is this still going ahead? The other cinema has gone even further downhill since it changed to IMC.

think the existing cinema has plans for new one in the cattle mart..

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

No this got knocked on the head. Current cinema had objections as did others. Hopefully rumours about penny's and new cinema for old mart site are true. Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

Its 2008 all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Did we get the wrong brother? Looks like paul anderson is investing loads into screens round the country..http://http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/omniplexmaxx-screen-to-capitalise-on-irish-hunger-for-cinema-233565.html
    Its an article from last year..

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

Popped down to the omniplex in waterford last week. All nice and new. Great chairs, screen quality was excellent.
    Hoping to head down and see the MAXX screen in action for Exodus next week. Pity Kilkenny couldnt have gotten that.
    I know its a student town but two multi screen cinemas in waterford seems a bit OTT and both better and bigger than Kilkennys one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Callanutd wrote: »
    Popped down to the omniplex in waterford last week. All nice and new. Great chairs, screen quality was excellent.
    Hoping to head down and see the MAXX screen in action for Exodus next week. Pity Kilkenny couldnt have gotten that.
    I know its a student town but two multi screen cinemas in waterford seems a bit OTT and both better and bigger than Kilkennys one.

Is there two Cinemas in Waterford? That's even more depressing when you look at what Kilkenny has (n't)! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Heard at lunch time tha tThe old mart is going to be turned into a 8/9 multiplex cinema with lots of parking.
    They will move from the current cinema to the new cinema.
    Meant to be in the kk People.
    it was announced this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Heard at lunch time tha tThe old mart is going to be turned into a 8/9 multiplex cinema with lots of parking.
    They will move from the current cinema to the new cinema.
    Meant to be in the kk People.
    it was announced this morning

Same owners as the current one? IMC cinemas are awful.

Same owners as the current one? IMC cinemas are awful.

same owners.
    It is on the kilkenny people site

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Now we turn the conversation to what will be done with the old cinema on the Gaol Road?

It's only been open since 1998 and a lot of building went into it. Wonder if they've any plans for it.

• Advertisement

Threadhead wrote: »
    Now we turn the conversation to what will be done with the old cinema on the Gaol Road?

It's only been open since 1998 and a lot of building went into it. Wonder if they've any plans for it.

Tesco? :)

You never know!

Considering the locals there campaigned (successfully) against the skate park, it's definitely not going to be anything too 'anti social.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Very interesting development particularly when you consider all the accusations of a done deal between KCC and Tesco. So the CAS wasn't initaiated for Tesco afterall! Keep the faith!

Threadhead wrote: »
    You never know!

Considering the locals there campaigned (successfully) against the skate park, it's definitely not going to be anything too 'anti social.'

Actually now that you mention it, what a perfect location for a skate park!

Grats wrote: »
    Very interesting development particularly when you consider all the accusations of a done deal between KCC and Tesco. So the CAS wasn't initaiated for Tesco afterall! Keep the faith!

Tesco were talking to KCC about the Brewery site which is still a possibility.

Nothing to do with CAS nor does it make it any more or less useful.

Is Kilkenny the only county without a Tesco? Even Leitrim and Carlow have Tesco.

Is Kilkenny the only county without a Tesco? Even Leitrim and Carlow have Tesco.

**** Tesco

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Yes and so what?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

The city still function exceptionally well without a tesco believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

..where the fox is foxy when you need him/her.....?!

....come on like ...a new Tesco debate and ....silence....??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

this is great news for Kilkenny, hopefully they will build a big 9 screen cinema, cant see why anyone would have an objection to this, other than Waterford and Carlow cinemas,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Seems like a big site for just a cinema, will the site be sold off in sections?
    The new road will bisect it anyway.

hi5 wrote: »
    Seems like a big site for just a cinema, will the site be sold off in sections?
    The new road will bisect it anyway.

This is a worry alrigtht. They spent 5 million on the site. you would have to sell and awful lot of popcorn to cover that cost. I can see a load of retail under the cinema simliar to Carlow.
    If my understanding is right the CAS road will disect the mart in half. the Cinema will be between the new raod and barrack street.
    What will be going between new road (which leads on to Green's bridge ) and the New CAS road?

It is about the same size of carlow fair green which is a worry.

I would love to see another watershed , that side of town is let down by a want for a decent swimming pool. Throw in a skate park and be down with it.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    T

It is about the same size of carlow fair green which is a worry.

my heart goes out to the High Street traders if this turns out to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The High street traders are desperate to keep the Brewery site retail as it will keep the shopping that side of town. There's going to be a power struggle between High street/Brewery site and McDonagh/ Mart site.
    I'd be keeping a close eye on planning in Kilkenny in the near future, as what's in the interest of vested interests and the people of Kilkenny may be two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

hi5 wrote: »
    The High street traders are desperate to keep the Brewery site retail as it will keep the shopping that side of town. There's going to be a power struggle between High street/Brewery site and McDonagh/ Mart site.
    I'd be keeping a close eye on planning in Kilkenny in the near future, as what's in the interest of vested interests and the people of Kilkenny may be two different things.

Tesco on the cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

kikel wrote: »
    The city still function exceptionally well without a tesco believe it or not.

It does but the choice of supermarkets in Kilkenny is awful in my opinion. Towns many times smaller have a better or equal choice.

road_high wrote: »
    It does but the choice of supermarkets in Kilkenny is awful in my opinion. Towns many times smaller have a better or equal choice.

How many different options do you want to buy corn flakes?

I know I was the one who pretty much bought up the Tesco issue in this thread but now that Kilkenny is saturated with Aldi's and Lidl's, mainstream supermarket prices can seem ridiculous. In Aldi, I can get three frozen pepperoni pizzas for 1.99. The other day in SuperValu, I saw one pizza advertised as 3.99. The presence of Tesco would only benefit Kilkenny by lowering the price of people's grocery shop.

If not Tesco, I'd love to see a Dealz or BuyLo come to Kilkenny. That would really give Dunnes and Supervalu the kick up the arse they need. Again, Kilkenny is one of the few counties these stores haven't reached.

• Advertisement

The presence of Tesco would only benefit Kilkenny by lowering the price of people's grocery shop.

Do you really believe that? Try doing the weekly shop online via Tesco and let us know how much you save. Pulling out on or two prices as a comparison is not real world scenario.

Also aswell it is a fact that tesco actually remove jobs from a local economy.

Advertisement