Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cinema in McDonagh?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

kikel wrote: »
    How many different options do you want to buy corn flakes?

A lot more than Kilkenny has that's for sure...no Tesco, no Iceland, no Dealz, no M&S or locally owned deli type supermarket...Whatever one thinks about any of these, the reality is that in KK we don't have the choice and are stuck basically with the crap option of the German discounters or a few very second rate Dunnes or Super valus.
    I regularly shop in Carlow or elsewhere when I'm there for work or passing through, simply because there's far more choice in what I can buy.

hi5 wrote: »
    Seems like a big site for just a cinema, will the site be sold off in sections?
    The new road will bisect it anyway.

Hopefully just one small section of the site. And some decent retail/office space to encourage the kind of tenants and employers that Kilkenny is lacking currently to come here as it's a great business town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Do you really believe that? Try doing the weekly shop online via Tesco and let us know how much you save. Pulling out on or two prices as a comparison is not real world scenario.

Also aswell it is a fact that tesco actually remove jobs from a local economy.

Please explain to me how they remove jobs? If you mean they bring in middle management employees from existing stores, this is done by most supermarkets is it not?

Competition is always good for a local economy, I just feel Lidl and Aldi have it too easy at the minute.

List of potential tenants I'd like to see in the Mart and/or Brewery sites;
    Tesco
    Debenhams
    Penneys
    M&S
    Zara
    New Look

road_high wrote: »
    List of potential tenants I'd like to see in the Mart and/or Brewery sites;
    Tesco
    Debenhams
    Penneys
    M&S
    Zara
    New Look

Do we really need a second Penneys? If you mean move the current one, then fair enough. I can see a franchise restaurant moving there unfortunately something like HillBillys chicken or a Nando's.

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    Do we really need a second Penneys? If you mean move the current one, then fair enough. I can see a franchise restaurant moving there unfortunately something like HillBillys chicken or a Nando's.

Nah I'd say leave the current small one in Market Cross, hugely popular value store, reckon two would survive just fine with two.

road_high wrote: »
    Nah I'd say leave the current small one in Market Cross, hugely popular value store, reckon two would survive just fine with two.

If Penneys had designs on the cinema site, I'd be 99% sure they'd close the Market cross shop.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Please explain to me how they remove jobs?

Have a look at Carlow, Naas or Clonmel. All these places have lost jobs in smaller business because they cannot compete with tescos. Once tesco wipes a lot of them out prices go up and the weekly consumer shop is the same price it was before.

If tescos do come to Kilkenny it will devastate the high street.

Have a look at Carlow, Naas or Clonmel. All these places have lost jobs in smaller business because they cannot compete with tescos. Once tesco wipes a lot of them out prices go up and the weekly consumer shop is the same price it was before.

I don't see how it would devestate High street (unless you mean it as a turn of phrase). The only place I can think of on High street that would be in direct competition with Tesco is Spar and they would be able to compete with Tesco.

I don't see how it would devestate High street (unless you mean it as a turn of phrase). The only place I can think of on High street that would be in direct competition with Tesco is Spar and they would be able to compete with Tesco.

Tescos will suck people out of high street. People won't have a need to go there. It's the small independent traders that will suffer. The small shops that employ a number of people. These will be the real victims if a tescos opens on the mart site.

• Advertisement

Tescos will suck people out of high street. People won't have a need to go there. It's the small independent traders that will suffer. The small shops that employ a number of people. These will be the real victims if a tescos opens on the mart site.

I remember people saying this when McDonagh opened as well. High streets central location means it will always be a viable location for business survival. There are currently 7? large supermarket chain branches operating in Kilkenny city alone and small traders still survive. You're overestimating the effect of Tesco. It's attitudes like yours that are the reason Tesco has never been able set up in Kilkenny.

There are currently 7? large supermarket chain branches operating in Kilkenny city

Do we really need another?

My issue is not really Tesco it's splitting the beautiful city again that I'm concerned about. I'm a blowin to here, ye got something amazing here, please, please don't destroy it an and follow every other town in Ireland. Tesco will not give you better value, support you small traders, you'll have more jobs and a better community.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Tesco are in Carlow over 11 years; can you name a few of these grocery businesses and quantify the jobs losses due to their arrival? I can't say that I've noticed much impact myself.

I do agree they won't give better overall value, though you can get bargains in specific products just like in other supermarkets. I rarely shop there since they dropped many Irish suppliers in favour of foreign ones without passing on significant price drops.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Tesco are in Carlow over 11 years; can you name a few of these grocery businesses and quantify the jobs losses due to their arrival? I can't say that I've noticed much impact myself.

A video of naas above should help you understand what I'm trying to point out.

Try post the video again it's not working.

Try post the video again it's not working.

Just a link there now.

I can't see that happening in Kilkenny to be honest. The Tesco in Naas is located on the outskirts of the town whereas the two rumoured sites for Tesco are the brewery site and the cinema. Given their proximity to the High street, you could argue thaey would actually bring custom to the High street. There were very real and logical arguments put forward for McDonagh being the death knell for High Street with that end of town becoming the new 'town center' but it never happened.

I also notice there is no mention of the bypassing of Naas being a factor in it being a 'ghost town' which seems like a far more likely explanation.

I appreciate the video but it's riddled with RTÉ bias unfortunately.

Oh I do understand the point you're making but I'm asking you to demonstrate that it has happened to Carlow.

• Advertisement

There are so many vacant units on carlows tullow street that the council had to introduce RETAIL INCENTIVE SCHEME FOR VACANT PROPERTIES IN TULLOW STREET

Tullow street has been in nosedive since the same people in charge of Kilkenny now allowed the building of fair green and tescos.

I also notice there is no mention of the bypassing of Naas being a factor in it being a 'ghost town' which seems like a far more likely explanation.

Naas was bypassed over 30 years ago. This is about the effect a large tescos has on local retailers.,

Also remember when someone visits a Tesco they will generally drive into a large car park and not visit any other stores. Will get u info on this research tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

I really dont understand the OBSESSION here with tesco. I lived in waterford for years and did all my shopping in tesco, since I moved here I mostly use Aldi with some trips to dunnes/supervalu. Tesco is no better value than dunnes or supervalu, and Aldi wipes the floor with them in terms of value and is pretty good quality too. The only thing Tesco would offer for me would be late opening which is useful. I really think this is just a case of 'faraway hills'.

Naas was bypassed over 30 years ago. This is about the effect a large tescos has on local retailers.,

We'll agree to differ. If a Tesco opened on the outskirts of Kilkenny, I would worry for High street but given that city centre locations are more likely, I think it would add to High street.

Also remember when someone visits a Tesco they will generally drive into a large car park and not visit any other stores. Will get u info on this research tomorrow.

Do you think people who shop in Dunnes or McDonagh currently do anything different to that?

We'll agree to differ. If a Tesco opened on the outskirts of Kilkenny, I would worry for High street but given that city centre locations are more likely, I think it would add to High street.

I'm hearing the mart site being a possibility, that practically out of town as far as the city centre is concerned. People won't go into town.

Do you think people who shop in Dunnes or McDonagh currently do anything different to that?

No they don't, and an even bigger Tesco would have even more of an effect. This is creating another area for people to abandon local shopping. It's a real pity Tesco didn't get mcdonagh junction.. KK doesn't need more large supermarkets.,

rayc wrote: »
    I really think this is just a case of 'faraway hills'.

BINGO

• Advertisement

There are so many vacant units on carlows tullow street that the council had to introduce RETAIL INCENTIVE SCHEME FOR VACANT PROPERTIES IN TULLOW STREET

Tullow street has been in nosedive since the same people in charge of Kilkenny now allowed the building of fair green and tescos.
    None of those businesses were in competition with Tesco. They were mainly fashion clothing, shoes, electronics, hairdressers, a few pubs/clubs, a bank (National Irish) and another was a restaurant. The bakery was in trouble long before Tesco arrived.

I'm no fan of Tesco but I think you're mistaking blaming them for the demise of Tullow St when the problem was mainly due to the arrival of the Fairgreen Shopping Centre which offered a shiny new attractive shopping environment, big name chains and free parking close to the town centre. Your beef should be with new shopping centres, not a particular trader.
    BTW. In the time since Tesco arrived Dunnes Stores opened a large new store, and Lidl opened one branch and Aldi opened two branches. Yet despite all that competition I can't think of a single small grocery that is closed as a result.

Advertisement