Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cinema in McDonagh?

Options
13»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

slimjimmc wrote: »
    None of those businesses were in competition with Tesco. They were mainly fashion clothing, shoes, electronics, hairdressers, a few pubs/clubs, a bank (National Irish) and another was a restaurant. The bakery was in trouble long before Tesco arrived.

That's the point, they don't have to be in competition with tescos to feel the effect of tescos sucking people away from the main shopping area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

kikel wrote: »
    That's the point, they don't have to be in competition with tescos to feel the effect of tescos sucking people away from the main shopping area.
    No not Tesco. A nice new shopping area with big name multiples and plenty of free parking was what sucked people away from a narrow congested street with little to no free parking nearby. Even then none of that had anything to do with Buzz's bar closing, the Temple nightclub closing, Crotty's bakery closing (since re-opened in new location), or Swan's Electrical relocating to their superstore on the edge of town.

I agree a new shopping centre could have an adverse impact on other retailers if the other retail units are in competition with established businesses and the new centre offers a better shopping experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Naas was bypassed over 30 years ago. This is about the effect a large tescos has on local retailers.,

Think it was bypassed about 20 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If you want Tesco, you can do online shopping and it will be delivered to your door from Carlow. So we don't need a Tesco setting up, we already have Tesco if one can use the internet.

I think a lot of people here are missing an important point, namely that Kilkenny (like everywhere else) is over-supplied with retail.

The Republic of Ireland is a market comparable in population size to Manchester. Kilkenny County has a population of about 100k.

Kilkenny's ability to draw from it's catchment counties (Waterford, Tipp, Carlow, Laois etc) has been seriously eroded by the improved infrastructure between everywhere and Dublin.

Then add in the effects of the 'virtual marketplace' on traditional B&M stores, the change in peoples shopping habits as a result of the recession, increased competition for disposable income from the food sector, the list goes on.

I question how much 'large scale' retail development Kilkenny needs/can stand. What needs to be asked is where will the punters be coming from and why will be they coming to Kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

pueblo wrote: »
    Think it was bypassed about 20 years ago?

Check this out. A great bit of footage.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2013/1001/477647-irelands-first-motorway-1983/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

anyway it is great we are getting a new cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bowlardo wrote: »
    anyway it is great we are getting a new cinema

I'm not too bothered...don't think a new cinema adds a whole lot and really hope there will be so much more brought to the table by this site.

That settles that then. It is a great bit of footage, thanks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Can we stick to the subject of a cinema please?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Dublin city has a bigger population than Manchester city. In terms of population, Republic of Ireland has double the population of the greater region of Manchester. Dublin county has 1.3 million people and the greater Dublin area is close to 2 million now.
    pueblo wrote: »
    I think a lot of people here are missing an important point, namely that Kilkenny (like everywhere else) is over-supplied with retail.

The Republic of Ireland is a market comparable in population size to Manchester. Kilkenny County has a population of about 100k.

Kilkenny's ability to draw from it's catchment counties (Waterford, Tipp, Carlow, Laois etc) has been seriously eroded by the improved infrastructure between everywhere and Dublin.

Then add in the effects of the 'virtual marketplace' on traditional B&M stores, the change in peoples shopping habits as a result of the recession, increased competition for disposable income from the food sector, the list goes on.

I question how much 'large scale' retail development Kilkenny needs/can stand. What needs to be asked is where will the punters be coming from and why will be they coming to Kilkenny

Dublin city has a bigger population than Manchester city. In terms of population, Republic of Ireland has double the population of the greater region of Manchester. Dublin county has 1.3 million people and the greater Dublin area is close to 2 million now.

Thanks for that, I appreciate the update which I was admittedly, too lazy to look up.

The point about the country being over supplied with retail still stands though, look at Shaws who have just pulled out of Longford after (I think) about a year. Not enough people with not enough spending power, with too much choice.

Advertisement