Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology opportunities in Canada

Options
  • 10-12-2014 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey all,

I'm just looking for some advice about going to Canada. I currently have a Higher Diploma in Psychology and some a range of experience working in different areas of Psychology.

However, I would just like to know would I be better off trying to obtain a Masters degree in Psychology before applying for a visa?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What areas are you looking to work in?

I also did a H.Dip, but I have an MSc in Clinical Psychology under my belt. I'm speaking only with regard to Vancouver here, as I don't know what the rest of the country is like.

It's not easy, that's for sure. I originally thought I could get work doing assessments, but any available jobs were snapped up by doctoral students. I thought I could get work doing research, but dozens of applications went unacknowledged. I secured a job by being in the right place at the right time, essentially.

With only an undergrad qualification, you could probably get some front line work - mental health worker, residential worker etc. In Vancouver, you could expect to earn approximately $15/hr to maybe $18/hr at best. Research would be hard to get into because it's typically students who do the entry level work.

You can get a job at your level, but it won't be very well paid. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

You could maybe consider applying for a MSc or similar in Canada? I have been looking into this of late and there seems to be some funding available (at least far more than in Ireland) and additional possibilities for RA/TA work as a student. The fees in University of British Columbia are quite reasonable too. University of Toronto fees are considerably higher though.

Advertisement