Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of the smell of Cat Urine

• 10-12-2014 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Recently moved into a new house and lately theres being a rotten smell coming from the landing. I think its cat urine. The house was renovated in the summer with new carpets put down but my neighbour said whilst the house was getting renovated there were a few cats hanging around the property and a cat may have urinated on the floorboards and then new carpet put over it. The smell is confined to just the landing area.

Any idea how i'd get rid of the smell? Obviously I can't go about removing and relaying carpets as i'm in a rented property.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

I recently got a pet kitten and we had a few 'accidents'. I am super sensitive to odours and would hate a 'cat' smell in my house. I researched a lot on line and tried a few things... sprinkle baking powder all over the carpet and leave it as long as you can. It looks awful and makes such a mess but it is a natural deodoriser and is harmless to the carpet too. I also bought a bottle of Lemon Juice and sprinkled it everywhere - again not harmful to carpet, and made a nice smell. Pet shops also sell various deodorisers specifically designed to neutralise animal urine smells. I bought one of these too and it seems to have done the trick. I also use those airfresheners that spurt out every time someone walks past. Hope you can solve your problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

If the smell is in the carpet you could try an enzymatic cleaner like bio washing powder, it breaks down the compounds that cause the smells much better than just chemical cleaners. You'll want a carpet cleaner though to remove t the excess

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

qt3.14 wrote: »
    If the smell is in the carpet you could try an enzymatic cleaner like bio washing powder, it breaks down the compounds that cause the smells much better than just chemical cleaners. You'll want a carpet cleaner though to remove t the excess

Don't think the smell is in the carpet as the carpet has only recently being put Down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We have 4 cats and for a while there was some spraying going on. We bought Fizzion from Amazon and it's great. It breaks down the enzymes so the smell doesn't come back. It's just capsules that you dissove in water in any spray bottle and you can spray it on pretty much anything at all. It worked great for us and it's cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt :) For absorbent surfaces, baking soda as mentioned above. For non absorbent surfaces and general cleaning up, get a used spray bottle (the kind you get bathroom / kitchen cleaner in) and dissolve a bio washing powder tablet in water in it and spray liberally. In my experience all the commercially available odour eliminators just mask the smell with another, and not very well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Alun wrote: »
    Been there, done that, got the T-shirt :) For absorbent surfaces, baking soda as mentioned above. For non absorbent surfaces and general cleaning up, get a used spray bottle (the kind you get bathroom / kitchen cleaner in) and dissolve a bio washing powder tablet in water in it and spray liberally. In my experience all the commercially available odour eliminators just mask the smell with another, and not very well.
    I swear by OdorXit; it's expensive but for stuff like peed on feathers in a pillow (or other things you can't really put in a washing machine) they do work from my experience. For day to day stuff caught directly I'd usually use baking soda, Bust It! and then wash it with cheap vinegar.

Advertisement