Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC 6/10 unit replacement

Options
  • 10-12-2014 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi folks,

I have a 12 year old HKC 6/10 with extender board, no dialer and 3 keypads, which I am considering updating as I dont know the eng code and I'd like to change access codes. I've a couple of questions

What extra functionality is available in a "modern" alarm? I would like remote notification either via PSTN, GSM or Lan / broadband and ability to activate / deactivate remotely.

Is HKC still considered a popular alarm manufacture? Any alternatives?

What current models would be a suitable replacement for the 6/10?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Siemens SPC Range would tick all the boxes there.

Using just the lan connection you will get alarm event notifications , remote access via phone app or browser. Free apps & free cloud service.

When it comes to these features HKC would not be considered the popular choice. They are the only ones charging for the above features.
    With Siemens , GSD or Risco all the above would be free without any charge for apps or any annual subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bkearns

KoolKid, Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

The HKC 10/70 has everything you will need also GSM text and apps wired and wireless key fobs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Its around €60 a year for HKCs securecomm service. If youre using the gsm-sc app service youre actually saving money as the cheapest data plan is €10 with meteor + you have to remember to top it up. So €120 a year using other gsms and youll only get push notifications and an app for that price where as HKC include data and texts. The main point is to encourge the use of multiple paths incase one comm path fails may it be the internet failing due to the power going or the phoneline being snipped or even a gsm jammer being used. Its €60 for both comm paths and the €60 covers all credit.

Yes other makes are free providing you use an ip connection but if you want to use a gsm to provide texts and the app then HKC is cheaper.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you want multiple paths there are numerous cheaper options available using any system, as we say shop around.
    If ,like most people you want a working app with some form of free notifications then HKC is not an option as they don't offer an IP connection or a free version of the app.
    I wonder why that is.:rolleyes:

The apps in use tell a story.

HKC 500 - 1,000
    Risco 10,000 - 50,000
    Siemens 5,000 - 10,000

• Advertisement
Advertisement