Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon "Pay in euro" -Beware

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

groom wrote: »
    Ulster bank will let you have a £ account. It's totally legit and you normal address is the one you give them. It's the same amount of hassle as setting up an Irish bank account.

Xetrade do fx transfers. So do transfermate. There are probably countless others

yep opened an NI Ulster bank account over the phone last week just had to bring id into a ulster banks branch in the south, they opened an account for me with a bank in newry and they sent my debit card to my address in the south.

simple out really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

myshirt wrote: »
    Problem with that Cinio is the constant Capital Gains Tax implications. It just eats into any savings you make, and costs you time in filling out the forms.

Most of the posters here are not that sophisticated. Revenue Commissioners then get their hands on it and you are facing interest and penalties, and all that crap. In my view, not worth it unless you do big enough transactions often.

Maybe I just don't know something, but it doesn't look like you owe any capital gains tax for buying another current...

You would be liable to capital gains tax, if you actually made profit of trading currencies.
    F.e. you have 1000 euro. Trade them for sterling, wait few days for exchange rate change, and then trade sterling again to euro. You end up with 1050 euro.
    In that case, this 50 euro you made would be liable to capital gains tax.

But if you just buy sterling for purposes of you shopping in sterling, then I can't see any possible liability for capital gains tax.

groom wrote: »
    Ulster bank will let you have a £ account. It's totally legit and you normal address is the one you give them. It's the same amount of hassle as setting up an Irish bank account.
    Will they issue you a debit card to it? (which you could use for online shopping in sterling without any currency conversions?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

myshirt wrote: »
    Problem with that Cinio is the constant Capital Gains Tax implications. It just eats into any savings you make, and costs you time in filling out the forms.

Most of the posters here are not that sophisticated. Revenue Commissioners then get their hands on it and you are facing interest and penalties, and all that crap. In my view, not worth it unless you do big enough transactions often.

There's no Capital Gains Tax implications unless you make €1270 in profit per year from those transactions, which, for the vast majority of people will never happen.

There's no Capital Gains Tax implications unless you make €1270 in profit per year from those transactions, which, for the vast majority of people will never happen.

Even better.
    But again - you can not make profit on exchanging currency if you only exchange it one way (f.e. euro to sterling), can you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

CiniO wrote: »
    Will they issue you a debit card to it? (which you could use for online shopping in sterling without any currency conversions?)

Yup!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I assume it won't matter if you buy it from Amazon Germany, as i got a €10 off €50 email a while back to use up by tomoro.

Although i wish their email stated it a bit better as it says you have to use it up 04.06.15 as later down the email it displays the date the right way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Pinkman

Slightly off topic but anyone know if Amazon have changed their delivery service to Ireland? I have ordered two items in the past few weeks and both took a week to arrive from the date they were dispatched. The main reason I shop with Amazon is due to how speedy their delivery is - usually 2-3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Shazamm

Yeah I ordered something last week, but it did state that it would be about 2 weeks delivery then. I thought it was because the thing i ordered was on sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

So is it still best to pay in sterling or Euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

always (99% of time) best to pay in any sites local currency so yes GBP

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

Charged €113 for £79 on amazon (AIB €111.47 plus €1.75 transaction fee) so much of a muchness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

ninty wrote: »
    Charged €113 for £79 on amazon (AIB €111.47 plus €1.75 transaction fee) so much of a muchness

true its not generally going to cost you a fortune unless a very expensive item..but a quid here or there for the sake of clicking a different button..

Advertisement