Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Energy ESW-8 - Inverter to 120v 60hz

• 11-12-2014 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

I bought Energy Take Classic speakers and a Sub for the US.

The sub has it's own hardwired power cable which requires 120v 60hz power as opposed to our 220v 50hz power from the socket.

Does anyone know the proper Inverter to get? A normal step down Inverter from Maplin or the like won't do it because of the 60hz as far as I understand.

Any ideas would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

you might be able to get someone to convert it

they'd need to open it and have a nose around first

seems a little wire link to cut and component to remove, uprate caps

ftyz0.jpg

1c6a0.jpg

vbk19.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

QikBax wrote: »
    I bought Energy Take Classic speakers and a Sub for the US.

The sub has it's own hardwired power cable which requires 120v 60hz power as opposed to our 220v 50hz power from the socket.

Does anyone know the proper Inverter to get? A normal step down Inverter from Maplin or the like won't do it because of the 60hz as far as I understand.

Any ideas would be great.

You can almost certainly run them perfectly well with a regular step-down transformer that converts 220V to 120V (but still 50Hz). Just don't cut it too fine with the power rating of your transformer.

I have audio equipment that I brought from the US that's been running fine for years with a regular step-down transformer. Three Definitive Technology speakers with powered subs and a Onkyo Integra AV receiver, all running off a single beefy transformer. The only issue is that sometimes the larger transformers can have a bit of hum (out of the transformer itself, not the speakers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Luck100 wrote: »
    You can almost certainly run them perfectly well with a regular step-down transformer that converts 220V to 120V (but still 50Hz). Just don't cut it too fine with the power rating of your transformer.

I have audio equipment that I brought from the US that's been running fine for years with a regular step-down transformer. Three Definitive Technology speakers with powered subs and a Onkyo Integra AV receiver, all running off a single beefy transformer. The only issue is that sometimes the larger transformers can have a bit of hum (out of the transformer itself, not the speakers).

Cool. Thanks for the help.

I'm going to try and borrow a step down transformer from somewhere and give it a go before I buy one. I'm worried I may have blown a fuse in the sub when I plugged it in so I want to try it out first.

Thanks again.

Advertisement