Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surface piercings

• 11-12-2014 4:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

So I'm planning on a surface piercing that will be verticle to my tragus.
    I have a piercer who I trust 100% she has done my conch, rook and opened up a closed tragus piercing for me.

I won't be getting it done until the new year as my piercer doesn't want it to cause trouble and she'll be closed over Christmas if something does go wrong and I'll need advice, so I'm getting it in the new year.

Any tips on surface piercing care? I understand the likelihood of rejection and such and general day to day care are they any different from let's say my conch or rook piercing when it came to healing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I also already had my tragus done and my surface vertical piercing rejected twice. It scarred incredibly badly the second time.

My only advice is to be really careful with it while its healing because its such a delicate, thin piece of skin. The second time I got it done it was healing reasonably well, until I got a smack off a car door (windy day) into the head and it all but fell out of my ear. I took very good care of it after I hit it but it still ended up rejecting.

Best of luck but if it starts rejecting take it out sooner rather than later, my scarring is very obvious and I wish I'd just taken it out when it started getting sore rather than just taking extra care of it and hoping for the best.

My piercer told me that it rejects on 1 in 3 people and that its more likely to reject if you already have your tragus is done because the area is already under stress and pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I know it makes no sense but for me you are either the type of person who can heal a surface or you can't, wether it be a mixture of how you care for it/ your skin and how it heals etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I also already had my tragus done and my surface vertical piercing rejected twice. It scarred incredibly badly the second time.

My only advice is to be really careful with it while its healing because its such a delicate, thin piece of skin. The second time I got it done it was healing reasonably well, until I got a smack off a car door (windy day) into the head and it all but fell out of my ear. I took very good care of it after I hit it but it still ended up rejecting.

Best of luck but if it starts rejecting take it out sooner rather than later, my scarring is very obvious and I wish I'd just taken it out when it started getting sore rather than just taking extra care of it and hoping for the best.

My piercer told me that it rejects on 1 in 3 people and that its more likely to reject if you already have your tragus is done because the area is already under stress and pressure.

Thank you very much, it will be on the wear where I don't have my tragus done, however that side my tragus is scarred due to a piercing gone bad.
    My conch and rook healed quickly,but I do understand that surface piercings are quite different.

If it helps I have two navel piercings and neither rejected :p

(I do understand that there is a huge difference between navel piercings and a surface piercing on my face, no worries!)

I know it makes no sense but for me you are either the type of person who can heal a surface or you can't, wether it be a mixture of how you care for it/ your skin and how it heals etc.

I completely understand, my piercer reckons I should be ok with it, however she won't do it until the studio is open again after Christmas so I have the support if it does cause trouble.
    But like you said everyone is different and unfortunately I have no way of knowing until I take the plunge and do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Don't forget that it's a high motion area, so the chances of rejection are greatly increased!

• Advertisement

Star Lord wrote: »
    Don't forget that it's a high motion area, so the chances of rejection are greatly increased!

Hmmm yes you have a huge point there, I think I just need to weigh up how much I want the piercing vs the possibility of it rejecting and being left with a scar.

I've to go In to book a tattoo appointment anyway so while I'm there I'll also discuss it with her which I'm planning on doing anyway! Wanna start stretching my ears too so need to see which one I'm better off doing first!

So much things I want and so little skin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Hmmm yes you have a huge point there, I think I just need to weigh up how much I want the piercing vs the possibility of it rejecting and being left with a scar.

I've to go In to book a tattoo appointment anyway so while I'm there I'll also discuss it with her which I'm planning on doing anyway! Wanna start stretching my ears too so need to see which one I'm better off doing first!

So much things I want and so little skin!

if you get a piercing there will be a scar. if you mean a long scar that ewill because you let it happen. the chances of rejecton are high

Advertisement