Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trimming fur on paws

• 11-12-2014 10:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any tips for trimming the fur on a long coated dog's paws? I've seen some videos where they say to use a slciker and brush the fur back before trimming and some that say to pull it down between their toes and trim it that way. No matter what way I do it I looks like I've cut clumps of hair off and the in the space of a few weeks they're all raggedy and unkempt again! :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

tk123 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips for trimming the fur on a long coated dog's paws? I've seen some videos where they say to use a slciker and brush the fur back before trimming and some that say to pull it down between their toes and trim it that way. No matter what way I do it I looks like I've cut clumps of hair off and the in the space of a few weeks they're all raggedy and unkempt again! :p

Only tried it once on bruce and first two paws looked awful! Other two weren't too bad but afraid to do it again. I went with brushing the hair up through his toes and cutting. The lady in the video made it look so easy and Bruce was hood standing still for me but i'm just going to pay the money and let the professionals do it. Will save Bruce some embaressment on his first christmas with us!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

This is the video where I learnt how to do my sheltie's feet, I was really pleased with the results. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbjfgfZZpBw

To summerize I push UP the hair from between the toes, trim off the bits sticking out that are not in line with his feet. Then I brush all the paw hair back and trim it. Remember, less is more!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks I'll try it like that again. I think I might just be doing it too quick and making a mess of it because Bailey doesn't like his paws being touched!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

tk123 wrote: »
    Thanks I'll try it like that again. I think I might just be doing it too quick and making a mess of it because Bailey doesn't like his paws being touched!

I use this scissors for trimming by the way: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDYwMA==/z/3W0AAOxynwlTcnsa/$_35.JPG It's small and you can snip away quickly, it's easier than using a large scissors in my opinion.

When trimming try and avoid trimming to close to the actual foot, you wanna try and skim the hairs on top with the scissors.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh we have one of them already!! I'll have to try tonight! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I trim all mine every second week. I use the above scissors. I trim a nice shape around the feet. Take any hair from between pads. Watch out for front dew claw & clip nails. It helps if you can put the dog up on a grooming table. Makes the job much easier even for large breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Roscommon Lady

Gently push your finger from underneath the paw , up through the spaces of the toes and the hair will stick up.
    Wait till evening time when your dog is more tired.

Advertisement