Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend healthy vegan jacket potato topping.

Options
  • 11-12-2014 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

As the title says really. Nothing involving spicy/garlicy/heavily flavoured things. The obvious choice would be baked beans but they are full of salt, sugar, preservatives, etc. Any healthy natural suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

You could make your own baked beans - far superior to Tony O'Reilly's pithy offerings - just soak a cup of haricot beans for 24 hours, then cook them in water for a half hour, chop up an onion fry for 10 minutes, then chop 3 cloves of garlic and add to onions fry for 1 more minute, add a tin of crush tomatoes, 2 teaspoons of mustard powder, 1/2 cup of molasses, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, a bay leaf, cook for 5 minutes, then add the beans and then stick the lot in an oven at 175 degrees covered with foil for an hour stirring once half way through.

Also coleslaw made with tofu mayonnaise (my preference is with loads of chipotle in there as well) and stick some sweetcorn in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Cut a nice ripe avocado into chunks, quarter a load of cherry tomatoes, chop up some fresh parsley / coriander / both. Then mix it all up with some lemon / lime jiuce, olive oil, black pepper, and whatever spices you like (I usually put in chilli and paprika).
    Nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Refried beans, I have a tin here, just looked at the label.......pinto beans 90%, onion, water salt 1%. If you want to thin them out you can heat them up with pureed tomatoes. Some nutritional yeast added in is nice too if you desire a slight cheesy flavour. You don't have to go all out mexican with the spicing but you can add avocado, sweetcorn, olives etc, whatever you like.

I also love "chickpea tuna" as a topping. Tin of chickpeas roughly blended with some nori and a small amount of homemade mayo.

Guacamole + whatever salad toppings you like.

Another thing you could try is baked sweet potato, I accidentally bought white sweet potatoes the other day (didnt know there was such thing before!) and baked them and the taste was amazing, different than the orange sweet potatoes. But baked normal sweet potatoes are nice too but I found I much preferred the white ones baked.

Advertisement