Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local or Irish Xmas Presents

Options
  • 11-12-2014 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Support local this Xmas lads so post your ideas for local and indeed Irish Xmas presents here:
    Support local shops good place to start but thinking about local made stuff:
    (I have no financial interest in any of these.

- Who wouldnt enjoy a few Dungarvan beers as a present
    - Plenty of local books about. Waterford Whispers, history books, etc
    - Gift vouchers for local shops, restaurants. Ideal for the non-fussy.
    - Lots of interesting foods being made locally, Biddy earleys mexican etc. Ardkeen and others are good on this. Also the larder down on the quay near henrietta street. Also check out markets in town, Olaf hall etc.
    - Coffee lovers..ponticelli have various blends
    - Metalman will have their cans out in new year but there are other local-ish brews in Tipp and Carlow too (White gypsy and O Haras)
    - Night away in some of our beautiful county hotels. see ardmore, lismore etc
    - those interested in gardening, GIY have book out and memberships, opening next year i think
    - Cookery course in local restaurants, got this before myself, was a great day out.
    - Support local charities, they badly need the money.

other ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Max Powers wrote: »
    Support local this Xmas lads so post your ideas for local and indeed Irish Xmas presents here:
    Support local shops good place to start but thinking about local made stuff:
    (I have no financial interest in any of these.

- Who wouldnt enjoy a few Dungarvan beers as a present
    - Plenty of local books about. Waterford Whispers, history books, etc
    - Gift vouchers for local shops, restaurants. Ideal for the non-fussy.
    - Lots of interesting foods being made locally, Biddy earleys mexican etc. Ardkeen and others are good on this. Also the larder down on the quay near henrietta street. Also check out markets in town, Olaf hall etc.
    - Coffee lovers..ponticelli have various blends
    - Metalman will have their cans out in new year but there are other local-ish brews in Tipp and Carlow too (White gypsy and O Haras)
    - Night away in some of our beautiful county hotels. see ardmore, lismore etc
    - those interested in gardening, GIY have book out and memberships, opening next year i think
    - Cookery course in local restaurants, got this before myself, was a great day out.
    - Support local charities, they badly need the money.

other ideas??

Where did you do the cookery course Max? I love doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

i done it in The tannery, paul flynns place, pretty famous now at this stage. a lady called Eunice who I recently saw on rte1 done the course, very good, well worth it. You can attempt all these things from a book but after being shown how to do em and eat them, i done about 90% of em and they turned out alright......if i do say so myself

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tallcarrie

There's also the Waterford Homecrafts Christmas Fair at Garter Lane on O'Connell Street with a huge variety of locally produced quality craft 40 craftsmen and women in the south east; with prices starting from a few euro upwards, it is all within everyone's price range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I wasn't intentionally trying to buy local but I had need to buy gifts with short notice this week and both happened to be locally made products, and both real quality items at reasonable prices too so I (and hopefully the recipients) were super happy with them.
    I picked up a cheese platter (sheridans?) In ardkeen stores at €12 for a gift wrapped slate cheese board with relish, crackers and two local cheeses. Great value and ideal for my requirements.
    Picked up a vase in Irish Handmade Glass Co. for €30, the owner took a fiver off the sticker value and it was boxed, bagged and ready to go in a couple of minutes. Quality item that I know the person receiving will love. (I actually want one myself now)
    There are some great bits around to be fair, lots of great quality local items at decent prices and I'm happy to support them.

(Just noticed sheridans are not exactly local , but eh, they are Irish, close enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Tallcarrie wrote: »
    There's also the Waterford Homecrafts Christmas Fair at Garter Lane on O'Connell Street with a huge variety of locally produced quality craft 40 craftsmen and women in the south east; with prices starting from a few euro upwards, it is all within everyone's price range.

yeah we got a nice candle holder down there and also got a nice wooden chopping board down in cathedral sq market as present too, really nice, good heavy quality. There was some nice little decorations and other stuff in the polish xmas too, which was my first time in there im ashamed to say.....hard to see/do everything with kids in tow

+
    looked into that kite design place and there was some really cool bits of jewellery, glass and other stuff in there according to other half. Jewellery was made by button and co,, based in dunhill. who knew!

• Advertisement
Advertisement