Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBMC newbie

• 11-12-2014 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've been reading about XBMC for ages now but from what I've read it's pretty class, just wondering what kind of hardware and setup is involved in it? Does it require a hefty pc or could it work with a mini pc that could clip onto the back of the tv...

I've seen the thread for what plugins people use so I'll refrain from asking about that, but how easy is it to install and use them.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Its ease of use all depends on what you want to do with it.

I tried to use it some time last year and couldn't get my head around it and went off looking at other stuff instead.

Eventually came back around to it and read up on stuff with it.

A lot of the issues I had were around how my libraries where arranged. So if you are going to be using media on the XBMC client (as opposed to purely using plugins), you may want to lookup information on Scrapers and how they work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Spazdarn wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've been reading about XBMC for ages now but from what I've read it's pretty class, just wondering what kind of hardware and setup is involved in it? Does it require a hefty pc or could it work with a mini pc that could clip onto the back of the tv...

I've seen the thread for what plugins people use so I'll refrain from asking about that, but how easy is it to install and use them.

Any help appreciated.

The hardware is dependent on the OS you use as well as whether you wish to transcode files or not.

So using something like Openelec (which is built specifically to run XBMC) with no heavy work to be done, you can use hardware as light as a Raspberry Pi ....

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnthonyB

The hardware is dependent on the OS you use as well as whether you wish to transcode files or not.

So using something like Openelec (which is built specifically to run XBMC) with no heavy work to be done, you can use hardware as light as a Raspberry Pi ....

I just set up a Raspberry Pi with RASPBMC and it's really easy. And fun.

I have a wifi network with media stored on Network Attached Storage (a big hard drive attached via Ethernet cable directly to the wifi router). I bought a Raspberry Pi with an SD card, WiFi dongle and HDMI cable...download RASPBIAN as the OS and RASPBMP, then hook it up, and point RASPBMC at the NAS address, and let it do its thing.

Total cost about €60...

Oh, and you can control it with your TV remote (there are a few that do that...mine's a Samsung and works fine)

Advertisement