Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sump replacement cost

• 11-12-2014 12:13pm

Car is in for a service. they reckon sump thread is gone and sump needs to be replaced. was last serviced Nov last year. they are quoting 500. I said go ahead.
    can someone let me know does this sound reasonable or am i being taken for a ride, because I genuinely wouldn't know

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What car is it? (year, make, model ,engine)

Sorry, was just coming back to edit, brain not working

peugeot 206cc 2007 1.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

could they not just put a nut on the other side of the sump bolt and seal it. drill a new drain hole and buy a new sump bolt? i could see that knocking one of the zeros off of the price they quoted.

even at that, i think €500 to replace the sump pan sounds like an awful lot. i could well be wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That sounds a bit excessive, to be perfectly straight with you squire. You should be able to get a sump-pan, gasket and bits-and-bobs for that for about €80, and about an hour to change it out. It shouldn't be a hugely complex job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

jimgoose wrote: »
    That sounds a bit excessive, to be perfectly straight with you squire. You should be able to get a sump-pan, gasket and bits-and-bobs for that for about €80, and about an hour to change it out. It shouldn't be a hugely complex job.

I was thinking about the same.
    You would nearly buy a complete used replacement engine for 500.
    Usually it's only a ring of bolts and it pops straight off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

^^

I'd agree with the above. Not to mention the fact that if they've been doing your services for the past few years, there's a good possibility that they accidentally stripped the threads themselves while undoing the sump plug. I'd agree with the above quote too - I'd be looking at the €100-150 mark depending on the price of the sump, including gasket and sealant. Then an hour or so of drain oil, bolt off old, bolt on new, refill, drive away.

'Course you're looking at a gallon of oil and a filter as well, unless your man is some sort of lunatic, but still-and-all.

jimgoose wrote: »
    'Course you're looking at a gallon of oil and a filter as well, unless your man is some sort of lunatic, but still-and-all.

That above price is on top of a service she's currently getting, which would already include the oil and filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Rethead the sump fit next bolt size up. 50 quid or so. I also be suspicous as to why all of a sudden the threads are gone.

mike_ie wrote: »
    That above price is on top of a service she's currently getting, which would already include the oil and filter.

Ah, quite so chief. I'm blind! :D

• Advertisement

If I got a sump myself somewhere and told them to fit that where would i go?

bluewolf wrote: »
    If I got a sump myself somewhere and told them to fit that where would i go?

where in the country are you?

it's not a part most places would have in stock, so if you wanted it today probably a breakers yard.

i'd say most motor factors or dealers would need to get one in overnight.

you're existing sump is most likely repairable. do you have confidence in the people working on the car or is it your first time with them?

I used to trust them quite well, they never took the piss at all, but I don't know this lad in there now. Price has miraculously dropped 100 euro on phoning again and since I don't have the means to go around looking for another one with a car stuck in the garage I'll just have to go with that
    I'm in dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

where in the country are you?

it's not a part most places would have in stock, so if you wanted it today probably a breakers yard.

i'd say most motor factors or dealers would need to get one in overnight.

you're existing sump is most likely repairable. do you have confidence in the people working on the car or is it your first time with them?

Could be a tricky part to get in a breakers but worth a shot. I'd be asking why they can't repair it. Rethread it or helicoil. Basic garage technique\equipment to do it.

He insists it can't be re threaded or repaired
    I'm just going to go with it since I can't pick up the car and drive away, and shop around next time

thanks for your help everyone :)

Problem now is that the car is incapacitated, so couple that with having to spend the day calling wreckers (while at work), plus having to arrange to get the part sent out to you somehow, or picked up and so on, plus the fact that they'll still charge for the labour, at this stage going with the €400 is your best option, and treat it as a lesson learned, and find another garage to do your work for you in future.

Aint that the truth. I've been stung before by a different branch but these lads would have never overcharged me before. Other places to go to sure

are they able to get you a brand new sump today? i'd be surprised if any retail parts department or motor factors had one in stock.

No they said overnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just to be annoying and to see what they do I'd ask for the old replaced parts to be returned. If they say no I'd want to know why and if they do return them then it would be interesting to see what the damage is and if its been made worse just to make sure you can't say it didn't need doing. It also covers you if they did nothing and really are taking the piss, like your not going to be looking underneath to see if they have replaced the sump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Kick up a bit of a stink over than no-one else has touched the sump except for them.
    If the can't manage to service car without destroying bits then they need to stop asking people to pay for their own mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There may be a fair amount of dismantling to get the sump off, there could be a subframe, suspension etc. in the way. This could account for a fair proportion of the cost and if they were to try repairing/rethreading the sump it would have to come off anyway.

However the threads shouldn't have been damaged in the first place.

my3cents wrote: »
    ...like your not going to be looking underneath to see if they have replaced the sump.

?? That would be the first thing I'd be doing.....

mike_ie wrote: »
    ?? That would be the first thing I'd be doing.....

I agree but the OP didn't sound like they would?? I'd look, but in the end what would that prove? If the sump looked old then they could just say they had to source one from a scrap yard rather than wait weeks and still have left your old one on. If the old one was in good condition a polish up might have it looking like new. They might even take the old one off get the sump plug out on a bench (drill stand), cleaned the sump up and put it back again with a new plug. Point really was the old part might help show what was going on. It could even be handy to use as evidence that they screwed it up in the first place.

^ For sure, I'd be taking the old part home with me, if for no other purpose than to piss them off. And my money is on them stripping the thread by trying to brute force it, but that's just speculation for now. But I'd still stick my head underneath to take a look and make sure they hadn't bunged on a secondhand part from the wreckers - if they had then I'd be asking why they were charging me for new parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I sounds like an apprentice broke it. Turned the wrong way, it's 100% repairable as I done mine a few years back and got it rethreaded for 20euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

I think there are mobile helicoil guys who can do it for you. Id nearly tell him you are sending someone down to do it! Sounds like a piss take.
    Helicoiling is a simple process to insert something into a larger hole and then having a particular thread in it.

lomb wrote: »
    ...Helicoiling is a simple process to insert something into a larger hole and then having a particular thread in it.

<F'NAAARRR!!>

lomb wrote: »
    I think there are mobile helicoil guys who can do it for you. Id nearly tell him you are sending someone down to do it! Sounds like a piss take.
    Helicoiling is a simple process to insert something into a larger hole and then having a particular thread in it.

Problem is you probably have to take the sump off first. For the Helicoil to work you have to retap the thread on the sump which produces metal swarf with you son't want in your sump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

my3cents wrote: »
    Problem is you probably have to take the sump off first. For the Helicoil to work you have to retap the thread on the sump which produces metal swarf with you son't want in your sump.

That's true hadn't thought about it. The sump would indeed need to come off and be cleaned before helicoiling so that the swarf could be all removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I know you have given the go-ahead to get it fixed but I'd be asking what went wrong. Did you get it serviced there the last time? A sump doesn't lose it's threads like that. Someone has messed up and you are footing the bill for something a mechanic has done. If it was my car I'd be looking for answers as to how the threads became damaged. Wether you take it further or not definitely get the old parts off them.

Advertisement