Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New car, diesel / petrol..mileage high enough?

• 11-12-2014 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭

looking to get something up the eyars after xmas, currently driving an 03 1.5 almera saloon. its grand but i bought it as a run around when i hadnt much cash last year and im in a better situation financialy now! so looking to upgrade.

partner has a 1.4 09 auris and the boot is too small for our little fellas buggy, constantly taking the parcel shelf in and out..

i dont think i am relaistically doing enough mileage to warrent a diesel:
    15miles per day round trip for work.
    once a month Dublin - Mayo and back
    maybe once a month other bit of long travelling, nothing set in stone.
    and pottering around at weekend.

looking at 2008 on, was looking at the following diesels:
    passat, jetta, vectra sri, golf (not too big), leon(same), impreza (mpg not great, but lovely cars imo).

thinking i might be better off getting something 1.4 petrol, like the tsi engines.

do all 2008 1.4 passats and golfs have the tsi engine? or was there a straight engine version as well? i know the engines made by skoda, does the 08 octavia 1.4 have the same engine?

would rather the diesel but if mileage would fook up the dpf then i dont mind petrol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I done similarly small mileage in a 2010 Ford Focus TDCI and find it still works out pretty well for me even with the small mileage daily and then a fairly large spin most weekends. The fuel savings are still pretty big over petrol although I was driving a 2.5 turbo petrol before switching so that makes a significant difference. So does the fact that the Ford 1.8 TDCI is ancient and hence no DPF and less issues like modern diesels.

I think you're probably better off with a petrol but maybe do a bit more research on whether the diesel makes sense depending on what type of car you are going for.

Advertisement