Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OK, so I thought I'd have a little fun with this one. Every other year when the Ryder Cup is not being battled for at the end of September, The Europeans compete for the Seve Trophy. Well I thought that us golf nuts would like a little of both every September when we are winding up our very own Order of Merit, so now for the Golfer of the year, we have our very own Ryder Cup replica, The Seve OB Trophy (Complete with the engravers equivalent of a typo!:rolleyes:)
    As if points are hard enough fought for, now we might just see a royal battle on our hands by the time we get to Meath :D:p;):P:cool:

17911380190_6b810673f8_z.jpg18099138625_17f507ed7a_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Just to clarify SeveOB - have you just named a trophy after yourself :p:D

:D

Just to clarify SeveOB - have you just named a trophy after yourself :p:D

:D

might be the only way i ever get my name on it!!!!

Seve OB wrote: »
    might be the only way i ever get my name on it!!!!

Says the man in first place. :D

No good laugh, fair play.

Says the man in first place. :D

No good laugh, fair play.

there is a long way to go yet......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Yes, I've money to burn and will pay whatever it takes to play the best courses
    Well it's not quite the Claret Jug Rory McIlroy picked up last July when he won the British Open, but The Captains Prize in September is our Major and now we have our very own Claret Jug perpetual trophy.

I must extend a very special thank you to Boards and Dav in particular, who have been very kind and generous to weigh in with some sponsorship towards this little beauty.

17476527814_d947b23e09_z.jpg

Those of you who played last weekend will have seen it up close and personal. So come September, who will be the next to have their name engraved on Our Claret Jug?????

18095651742_abd64a10f0_z.jpg

That's class Seve :D

But shouldn't I take ownership of it until September :pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ciarraiabu1977

Lads,
    looking to become involved with the society-based in the dublin area, is it too late or can i still join?

Cheers

Lads,
    looking to become involved with the society-based in the dublin area, is it too late or can i still join?

Cheers

No you can still join but as Charlie says above, there won't be any subsidy available for the marquee courses
    Drop me a PM with your name, number, email, handicap & Club and I can get you set up

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭technodub

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Alright dude, how's things?! When are you joining us for a round? Captain Seve has the reigns this year.
    Enjoy the jug, we're bringing it home this year!!!!!

Not bad mate golf is good and the jug is shiny :eek::rolleyes: I am getting used to having it on my mantle piece not gonna let go to easy! Hopefully get out with ya soon and talk over venue ideas!
    Hey there Technodub, we are all playing great golf this year. take a picture of that Jug and frame it :D

Mail sent ! Best to take it to email now if possible as i will be brutal at replying on this! What dates are the events you have left??

Updated GOTY table guys and girls. The battle is beginning to heat up now for the Jug team spots. You would think the top 5 might be secure at this stage, but with 4 rounds still to play, there is still a lot to play for, so I wouldn't be counting your chickens just yet!

18054049375_4b4b95ab84_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭technodub

Alright dude, how's things?! When are you joining us for a round? Captain Seve has the reigns this year.
    Enjoy the jug, we're bringing it home this year!!!!!

Not bad mate golf is good and the jug is shiny :eek::rolleyes: I am getting used to having it on my mantle piece not gonna let go to easy! Hopefully get out with ya soon and talk over venue ideas!
    Hey there Technodub, we are all playing great golf this year. take a picture of that Jug and frame it :D

Updated GOTY table guys and girls. The battle is beginning to heat up now for the Jug team spots. You would think the top 5 might be secure at this stage, but with 4 rounds still to play, there is still a lot to play for, so I wouldn't be counting your chickens just yet!

18054049375_4b4b95ab84_b.jpg

Mail sent ! Best to take it to email now if possible as i will be brutal at replying on this! What dates are the events you have left??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Just looking at the table there, 2 of the top 10 are not playing this weekend but it will take a few strong results for them to drop to far.

Going be a good run in!!

Just looking at the table there, 2 of the top 10 are not playing this weekend but it will take a few strong results for them to drop to far.

Going be a good run in!!

I've a feeling this could be a good week for you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I've a feeling this could be a good week for you

Dunno Seve, think I might have used up my good score there!! Been doing a lot of short game practice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Yes, I'll pay up to €5 extra
    How good does one need tobe to join the BGS?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yes, I'll pay up to €10 extra
    All levels very welcome Jake. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭bobster453

How good does one need tobe to join the BGS?

Haha considering i am a member not very good at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

Macker can we bring back the good old days ?:D
    311859.jpg

well it was never going to last was it:rolleyes:.... congratulations to 3putt who with 3 great solid performances on the trot, makes the leap into first place. Myself and fix are hot on your heels so make sure you bring you c game to Killeen to give me a chance :D

thinks are warming up nicely in the race for a jug spot also. few guys in there who have games in hand, and with 5 events already played, good perfermances can really seen them make strong moves up the table over the next 3 events

my guess is that somewhere between 430 and 450 will be the requirement for a top 10 finish, so get practising guys... we need that jug back :)

19326572762_96d4497e2b_b.jpg

Very tight again this year (in fact much closer) - many ex players in top 10 again.

Interesting stuff.

But plenty to go. Anyone can get in top 10 yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Anyone can get in top 10 yet.

hope so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Very tight again this year (in fact much closer) - many ex players in top 10 again.

Interesting stuff.

But plenty to go. Anyone can get in top 10 yet.

Have to agree with you there Fix, might be easier for some if GUI handicaps were more closely monitored.......

Guess there have been a few occasions where the Gui within 2 of society handicap has been broken.

I'll get my coat now !
    :eek:

mafc wrote: »
    Have to agree with you there Fix, might be easier for some if GUI handicaps were more closely monitored.......

Guess there have been a few occasions where the Gui within 2 of society handicap has been broken.

I'll get my coat now !
    :eek:

I think you should - checked CSS and didn't break it.
    But maybe it has.

Anyway - I'll take anything I can get to win one of these - bloody near impossible. 3 putt and myself have had well over 30 efforts combined - don't think we have one combined ( 3 putt you have never won one ?)

May have to retire without a win - will definitely need shots in Cork after that :D:p

I think you should - checked CSS and didn't break it.
    But maybe it has.

Anyway - I'll take anything I can get to win one of these - bloody near impossible. 3 putt and myself have had well over 30 efforts combined - don't think we have one combined ( 3 putt you have never won one ?)

May have to retire without a win - will definitely need shots in Cork after that :D:p

Wasn't talking about you Fix..... the old Boards.ie handicap index 2015 tells it's own story....

mafc - are you one of those lads who finds a problem in everything (lol)

Slow play, handicaps, courses, bandits, looking for a ball for 20 seconds :D:D:P:P

I'll get my coat.

mafc - are you one of those lads who finds a problem in everything (lol)

Very slow play, handicaps, courses, bandido's, looking for a ball for 350 seconds :D:D:P:P

I'll get my coat.

Fixed that for you... :)

• Advertisement

These posts end in tears.

Lads can get very sensitive in this area ;)

See all at some stage - hopefully Cork.

All fun and games till a trophy or shield on offer.

Lads would do anything for a trophy Seve ;):D:p

All fun and games till a trophy or shield on offer.

Lads would do anything for a trophy Seve ;):D:p

I think you have secured your spot in the team Fix.

Seems like others don't even want to be consider for a captt pick:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Fixde you're right ive never won one either. Still dreaming of it. But on the brightside that leaderboard looks rather nice. Not even close to being over yet tho, anything can happen. But looks good for that extra game in october.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well bugger. Just realised because of the All Irelands of the Senior Cup, I won't make it to Fota Island and with probably 500 points needed to be SURE of making the team, I'm going to need some stellar performances in Killeen and The Monty to have a sniff of making a Captains pick ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Seems like others don't even want to be consider for a captt pick:rolleyes:

Have I ever told you you're the best captain I've ever seen? ;)

RoadRunner wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

RoadRunner wrote: »
    ...and a devilishly handsome young man too

Is there a sign up thread for killeen or will there be ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sofireland

Just wondering - is it ok to Bring a guest to an outing - eg Killeen?

sofireland wrote: »
    Just wondering - is it ok to Bring a guest to an outing - eg Killeen?

Sure thing. Check the thread for rates, but lots of room at Killeen so guests are very welcome

Folks, mark your diary.

17th October.

Keeping in tradition with our course list, its gonna be at another huge Venue, with thanks to Technodub getting us a great deal

Seve OB wrote:
    Folks, mark your diary.

Seve OB wrote:
    17th October.

My diary is already marked for this day.

Ireland v Argentina/all blacks,
    Rugby World Cup Quarter Final
    Millennium Stadium Cardiff

shaunac93 wrote: »

Not expecting a captains pick ? ;)

We are golfers around here, what is this rugby young speak of :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

All presuming we top the group.. ;)
    France are France it is no formality. :D

kiers47 wrote:
    All presuming we top the group.. France are France it is no formality.

That's presuming France beat us. Sunday is also in the diary in case we top the group!! Going over Wed-Wed and have tickets for both quarter finals

Rikand wrote:
    Not expecting a captains pick ?

No sure I'm going to win today and have two good finishes to make it into the Ryder jug team proper :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

That's presuming France beat us. Sunday is also in the diary in case we top the group!! Going over Wed-Wed and have tickets for both quarter finals

Ah fair play. Going to the London games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sofireland

Quick question guys - the two guests I brought to Killeen were seriously impressed, they're not on Boards, but can they join the society next year?

sofireland wrote: »
    Quick question guys - the two guests I brought to Killeen were seriously impressed, they're not on Boards, but can they join the society next year?

Firstly, it's great to hear they were so impressed, glad they enjoyed it.

Anyone is welcome to join the society but the rules are they must have a boards username. We are a society which has grown from the forum and as you see and know, this is where all the discussion about the society happens. Other societys have their local or workplace to meet and arrange their events, this is where we meet :D

Pretty much everyone these days has an e-mail address which is all you need to sign up to boards. If they do that, and come on here to ask about joining, then that's all that is needed. It's not a requirement that they be regular posters, but it would be nice if they could keep an eye on the relevant threads

So this event saw some big changes to the leaderboard. With 5 events already completed, some people made huge leaps due to having games in hand, while others could only move forward by dropping poor cards, myself included and it resulted in me regaining top spot. 3 putt has to be the most consistent golfer of late and has become a force to be reckoned with. Sitting in third place now after his win, Keano is surely favourite to jump further forward at the next outing as he still has a game in hand.

Looking further down the table and the battle for a place on the Jug team is far from over with ballyk, RoadRunner, spacecoyote, The Big Easy and Bobster all having games in hand still. Hot on their heels and certainly not out of winning the GOTY outright, come dwd, Barnaboy, bombedbiscuit, Buddy Holly, LuckyGent and gerhard all with multiple games in hand, so just turning up for the last 2 events will result in huge leaps forward for them regardless of other scores.

I called it earlier in the year I though 430-450 might be enough for a top 10 position, but looking at it now, it's shaping up to be much nearer 500 being the required number! The Ryder Jug will take place at high noon on 17th October at the fabulous Druids Glen, so that's yet another mouth watering course to add to this years line up. Mark your diaries folks and if you are in the shake up for a team spot, please keep me posted with your availability on that date.

20046375782_03257097a4_h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

So this event saw some big changes to the leaderboard. With 5 events already completed ...

It's looking damn close at the top, I'd say it's going to go over the 700 points for the GOY winner, so 1st and 2nd or a 2nd and 1st should do it for me :pac:

Definitely hope to be it the hunt for one the ryder jug places, I recon 2 finishes around the top 6 should see me very close. Only problem is there's about 10 other people in the same position, lots to play for :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭paulos53

I called it earlier in the year I though 430-450 might be enough for a top 10 position, but looking at it now, it's shaping up to be much nearer 500 being the required number!

500 points looks like a good call. I just had a look at the table at the same stage last year and most of the positions from 5th to 20th have 20-40 more points this season

That means I need a top 5 finish somewhere which will be a tough ask as I have never played the Monty and I reckon Fota will suit the big hitters down to the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

I'll just have to win the next 2 to qualify. Can you imagine winning 2 in the same season. Eyes roll

Advertisement