Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a thermostat that takes a SIM card?

• 11-12-2014 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Can someone please recommend a GSM thermostat timer. We want to put a SIM card in our thermostat so we can turn the heat on or off by SMS text message.

There are some on Amazon but if we could get a personal recommendation here that would be great. We can order from the UK but if we could also source from Ireland that would be a bonus as we are under some time pressure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Belkin WeMo from Harvie Normans ??
    Works off WiFi router.

Are looking for a switch or an actual thermostat or clock ?
    Some time clocks can also operate off the phone line.

I know some burgalar alarm systems use a SIM card, so maybe ask on the electrical forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Also considering thermostats that could connect to the WiFi here allowing us access remotely using an app or email etc.

scudo2 wrote: »
    Belkin WeMo from Harvie Normans ??
    Works off WiFi router.

Are looking for a switch or an actual thermostat or clock ?
    Some time clocks can also operate off the phone line.

I know some burgalar alarm systems use a SIM card, so maybe ask on the electrical forum.

Sorry, missed your reply before I replied!

Basically we are having a wired thermostat timer combination installed in the living room. This will be wired back to the boiler out back. We have other wireless frequencies in the home so would rather stick with wired for heating. I heard about SMS thermostat timers recently, and found this online PT32-GST GSM Thermostat Programmer at £129. It seems like a useful feature, being able to remotely turn off the heat by SMS text from your phone, or turn it on if coming home early on an especially cold day etc. Turning on boost from bed would be cool, if also lazy :)

What do you mean by switch? We want this device to turn off the heating when it reaches a set temperature which is the thermostat, and a digital timer for automatically turning on and off the heating at certain times of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

dusf wrote: »
    Sorry, missed your reply before I replied!

Basically we are having a wired thermostat timer combination installed in the living room. This will be wired back to the boiler out back. We have other wireless frequencies in the home so would rather stick with wired for heating. I heard about SMS thermostat timers recently, and found this online PT32-GST GSM Thermostat Programmer at £129. It seems like a useful feature, being able to remotely turn off the heat by SMS text from your phone, or turn it on if coming home early on an especially cold day etc. Turning on boost from bed would be cool, if also lazy :)

What do you mean by switch? We want this device to turn off the heating when it reaches a set temperature which is the thermostat, and a digital timer for automatically turning on and off the heating at certain times of the day.

That looks like a fine piece of kit. It combines the timer and the thermostat, and now the GSM dialler, all in one device. Only 'downside' is that it is a single channel unit (for one zone only).

We do not have the house zoned yet though will at some point in the future after building on.

A thermostat/timer that is wired but connects to the WiFi for remote access seems like a better idea. It would not require a SIM to be topped up every few months etc.

Can anyone recommend or advise?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Get your system more efficient (zoning/programmable thermostats) which will make instant savings. Ensure you have maximum insulation in attic/walls and pipework and then spend the rest of your spare cash on gimmicks!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

Climote is worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Electric Ireland are doing nests for free if you switch to them and for €99 if you are already with them. This includes installation.
    We got one fitted a couple of weeks ago and are delighted with it. Cannot believe how short a time the heating is actually on with it according to the app/web page. Looking forward to comparing last years bills with this years.
    The remote on and off is very nice, no more worrying if I forgot to turn off the heating when going out, and no more coming back to a cold house!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Thanks, the Nest and Climote look great and I would not consider them gimmicks, they seem very practical. As important as insulation and zoning are I am not asking about that, we needed to replace a timer and we had a thermostat fitted at the same time.

In the end, to keep costs down for the moment, we went for the regular separate thermostat and programmer supplied by the plumber. We will invest in a Nest or Climote when we are getting further work done in the near future, probably the Nest as it seems better value but I need to properly compare both.

The timer we had installed is a Horstmann Centaur C11 Series 2 and the thermostat is an EPH. I have read the timer manual and I am familiar with the options, currently we have it set to 24H which basically keeps it on constantly. This provided adequate heat but the heating was then turned off by the thermostat at 19c (we are experimenting) which is great. The light to indicate that the heat is still going, as far as the timer is concerned, is on.

I expected the thermostat to turn the heat back on after maybe 30 minutes to top up the temperature but it has let the radiators run cold and the temperature has definitely dropped by a few degrees.

Should the thermostat not turn the heat back on after the temperature drops below 19c?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

youtheman wrote: »
    That looks like a fine piece of kit. It combines the timer and the thermostat, and now the GSM dialler, all in one device. Only 'downside' is that it is a single channel unit (for one zone only).

Its a programmable thermostat though, not a programmer/timer, isnt that the case?
    It just varies what the stat sets the temperature for depending on the time and day?

I was thinking, a programmable stat for the hot water would be nice, probably isnt one available. I was thinking something like this might be possible to wire into an existing tank stat, but it wouldnt be able to tell the temperature only when a circuit was created when the temp set on the tank stat was reached, just checked, drayton do a programmable tank stat.
    Thanks, the Nest and Climote look great and I would not consider them gimmicks, they seem very practical. As important as insulation and zoning are I am not asking about that, we needed to replace a timer and we had a thermostat fitted at the same time.

In the end, to keep costs down for the moment, we went for the regular separate thermostat and programmer supplied by the plumber. We will invest in a Nest or Climote when we are getting further work done in the near future, probably the Nest as it seems better value but I need to properly compare both.

The timer we had installed is a Horstmann Centaur C11 Series 2 and the thermostat is an EPH. I have read the timer manual and I am familiar with the options, currently we have it set to 24H which basically keeps it on constantly. This provided adequate heat but the heating was then turned off by the thermostat at 19c (we are experimenting) which is great. The light to indicate that the heat is still going, as far as the timer is concerned, is on.

I expected the thermostat to turn the heat back on after maybe 30 minutes to top up the temperature but it has let the radiators run cold and the temperature has definitely dropped by a few degrees.

Should the thermostat not turn the heat back on after the temperature drops below 19c?

Maybe it has some kind of offset set up? in that its set temp is 19 Celcius when it reaches this it turns the boiler off, but it wont turn the boiler back on if it gets to 18C, maybe its set so it only comes on at 17, to prevent it cycling less?

cerastes wrote: »
    Maybe it has some kind of offset set up? in that its set temp is 19 Celcius when it reaches this it turns the boiler off, but it wont turn the boiler back on if it gets to 18C, maybe its set so it only comes on at 17, to prevent it cycling less?

It seems this feature of thermostats is called the temperature swing. I would have preferred one with a lower swing range. I notice the cold when it has been in the off part of the cycle for awhile and if I leave the thermostat set another degree higher to try and prevent this we would be uncomfortably warm when in the on part of the cycle.

They really should come with the option to configure the temperature swing and probably do! I see the Nest's swing is only 1 degree F or so.

Regarding your question about a separate stat for the water, I know you can configure a separate timer for the water and even have separate times for heat and water on some timers so I would be surprised if there are no water stats out there.

The Nest actually has a temperature swing or differential of 3F which I think is around 1.7 F.

It seems this feature of thermostats is called the temperature swing. I would have preferred one with a lower swing range. I notice the cold when it has been in the off part of the cycle for awhile and if I leave the thermostat set another degree higher to try and prevent this we would be uncomfortably warm when in the on part of the cycle.

They really should come with the option to configure the temperature swing and probably do! I see the Nest's swing is only 1 degree F or so.

Regarding your question about a separate stat for the water, I know you can configure a separate timer for the water and even have separate times for heat and water on some timers so I would be surprised if there are no water stats out there.

Im sure it can be configured, just like some/most? manual stats can be.
    The Nest actually has a temperature swing or differential of 3F which I think is around 1.7 F.

You mean 1 degree Celcius increase (edit difference) is about 1.8 degree F increase (difference) I believe.
    MAybe this suggests the Nest has an adjustable range in steps of about half a degree celcius

I am hoping it I take the face plate off there might be something I can adjust, maybe with a screwdriver. Does the face plate usually have to come off to adjust it?

I mean 3F, which is the swing on Nest thermostats, is 1.667C. I think :D

I want to order a cheap digital thermometer to place on top of the stat.

This looks like our stat only we have no indicator light which would be nice.

14-CM3.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

any WiFi connected thermostat will do

In relation to boilers that modulate, from what I read the boiler reads the water temperature, possibly in the return flow and this can be compared to the external temperature.
    If this is to ensure that condensing occurs? and that the boiler is modulated to a low level to not over supply heat and limit or prevent condensing occuring.
    While I can see that measuring the temperature of the water in the pipe back to the boiler might be a useful place to read it, wouldnt it be better for the room temperature where the stat is located to be measured? and have that compared to an external temperature.
    Im assuming thats what more detailed or specific room stats do, rather than an on/off state, like a normal stat?

I looked up an Ariston stat that goes with an Ariston boiler, seems that it might read temp and report it back to the boiler as well as actually turning on the call for heat.

Are there generic stats that do this, or is there a limit of specific stats for this purpose being fitted only to the same brand boiler?
    ie can one like this be fitted to an ideal logic?

Edit, Im wondering for the purposes of upgrading an existing thermostat to a new boiler, what extra work (wiring) might need to be fitted to transmit a signal to the boiler. The stat I looked at was the sensys, when I was considering an Ariston boiler. Preferring a hardwired solution, and not seeing that a wireless option that communicates with the boiler exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Look up boiler hysteresis, good boiler control has it built in especially if it's a PId Circuit

I don't seem to be making much headway here?
    Looking up the topic I found the question asked,does a modulating boiler operate as efficiently at its low or lower settings as it does at 100% I think I'll throw the towel in after this though.

• Advertisement

cerastes wrote: »
    I don't seem to be making much headway here?
    Looking up the topic I found the question asked,does a modulating boiler operate as efficiently at its low or lower settings as it does at 100% I think I'll throw the towel in after this though.

Your confusing a badly sized/badly installed heating system which has efficiency issues and a correctly sized/correctly installed heating system which optimises heating efficiency at any output setting.

A well installed modern gas boiler with minimum external controls will work much much better than a badly installed boiler with funky wireless all singing all dancing external controls.

Once a modern boiler is installed correctly the boilers own brains will determine the most economical way of achieving the temperture required by modulating the gas and the pump, this is different from older boilers which were designed to achieve the temperture required as quickly as possible irrespective of how much gas is used.

The level of external controls improve a modern gas boilers efficiency by giving the boiler extra information to further fine tune the heating process.

For example with the Ariston mentioned out of the box it will be looking to achieve the given temperture in the most economic way by monitoring the differential across the flow and return pipes(looking to achieve a 20c differential).

This process can be aided by fitting a outdoor sensor which allows the boilers brains to take into account outside tempertures reducing the fuel used on warmer days.

The process can be further aided by wiring a room thermostat in to the boiler so the brains can calculate how quickly the home heats up and adapt the output to squeeze a bit more economy out of the process(intelligent stats would have a negative impact on this process).

Now if you want to get really funky you can wire the cylinder stat back to the boiler so you can run the heating system at lower tempertures with over sized rads and then when the cylinder needs heating increase the temperture so the hot water is unaffected by the lower rad temperatures.

Given a choice I'd like to see more boilers with the basics done well before funky controls are added as its like fitting a fancy stero in a car with a rattling engine.

Advertisement