Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice

Options
  • 11-12-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I'm sure these messages happen quite a bit but I was looking for some advice regarding getting into stargazing.

I was hoping to buy a telescope but I have some concerns.

I live in Inchicore, [just outside the innercity, in fact its the outer city :) ]

I wanted to buy a telescope with a budget of €200, is it possible to get an any way decent scope for that price? And if so, which should I pursue?

Also, am I wasting my time trying to observe anything in Dublin? Is the light pollution too great?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I do sincerely mean that.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I would always say to beginners that they're better off getting a quality pair of binoculars rather than a telescope, they have a wider field of view and make identification of objects much easier. There are a number of Irish suppliers where you can get a classy pair for under €200.

Afraid the Dublin light pollution is going to limit you to the brighter objects yes, but what you will see should at least give you the taste to get down the countryside for some genuinely dark skies. You won't regret it I guarantee :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I've ordered a Celestron astromaster 70 for christmas, it seems like pretty good value for a first telescope (assuming you want a refractor). It's on amazon for less than a 100 with a moon filter. It's well worth reading the stickies in this forum if you haven't already.

I live a long way out in the country, so not sure what's appropriate if you're living somewhere with a lot of light pollution like Inchicore.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

You might be interested in this if you are willing to go second hand.
    The price is Sterling and you will need to factor in eyepieves

Michael.

Advertisement