Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 AR Race Calendar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Looks interesting but left it too late in the year to think of entering although it is on my radar for next year depending on reports from this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

from looking at previous years results there wouldnt be huge field last year 30 in the 2 day , 19 in the non stop lunacy..
    very interested in how ye get on, always been tempted but the kayaking has put me off so far, and the fact that i generally have very little of anything done by this time of year.

might take a spin down to the beach in enniscrone to watch ye start ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

The other three in team ARSE and I are doing the non-stop lunacy :)

We're figuring our the logistics this week. Have ye got race support sorted AKW?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Neady83 wrote: »
    The other three in team ARSE and I are doing the non-stop lunacy :)

We're figuring our the logistics this week. Have ye got race support sorted AKW?

Race support is organised. Busy this week organising gear and laying out transitions. Gonna be a wide wardrobe choice cos this weather is so unpredictable.

All about attention to detail now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I know a lad signed up for the 24 hour version. He's just back from doing this,

http://www.dwrace.org.uk/index.php (a 125 mile non stop kayaking race)

So fair to say he is in good shape! Don't know how much running and cycling he has been doing. Last I was talking to him he hadn't heard a whole lot about it.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    I know a lad signed up for the 24 hour version. He's just back from doing this,

http://www.dwrace.org.uk/index.php (a 125 mile non stop kayaking race)

So fair to say he is in good shape! Don't know how much running and cycling he has been doing. Last I was talking to him he hadn't heard a whole lot about it.

I'll be sneaking a tow rope onto his boat!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

AKW wrote: »
    So who else is in for Coast 2 Coast ? This time 3 weeks it should be all well and truly over :)

Mrs AKW and myself are in for the non-stop http://triharderar.com/2015/02/going-coast-to-coast-in-ireland/ Surprising little chatter on the Facebook about it. Is it a big field of participants does anyone know?

Yep!

Am I prepared? No! :)

Just got a new road bike today, haven't cycled more than 65km in one go. Can't swim so I'm nervous about the kayak stage. Iv been taking kayak lessons at the weekends and I'm getting a lend of a kayak for the race.

My knee is giving me hassle over the last 6 weeks but fcuk it, be grand.

My support crew (1 work colleague) is away with the fairies. The plan is to make a plan after the race briefing and make 15 peanut butter sandwiches and go with the flow.

Non stop solo here I come! :)

Winner? No.
    Finisher? Hopefully!

Yep!

Can't swim so I'm nervous about the kayak stage. Iv been taking kayak lessons at the weekends and I'm getting a lend of a kayak for the race.

Ditto, though I've had lots of practice at falling out of the kayak :) Hopefully we won't be taking a splash on the day :)

Ditto, though I've had lots of practice at falling out of the kayak :) Hopefully we won't be taking a splash on the day :)

Haven't fallen out yet and that's part of my problem. I don't trust the buoyancy aid. I don't think il be finished the kayak by the time it gets dark :(

Il be the one with one of these on for the craic! Make sure to wave!

Iv the Blackstairs adventure race this Sunday then Belfast marathon on Monday. State of me.

Sure we will be grand! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Iv the Blackstairs adventure race this Sunday then Belfast marathon on Monday. State of me.

You what?

• Advertisement

Oryx ???

You changed your username again???

I just fell off my chair, give me a few minutes to pick myself back up again :eek: :eek: :eek:

Fair play to you, ya nutter. There better be race reports :)

Perfect training for a 24 hr event!! No sleeping in between now, ya hear?! :)

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    You what?

Yeah, it just kinda happened :)

I just fell off my chair, give me a few minutes to pick myself back up again :eek: :eek: :eek:

Fair play to you, ya nutter. There better be race reports :)

Ha, I just throw a few paragraphs into my "fitness log". It's always the same.

"Today I did <insert race>, it was hard because <insert injury>. I promise I will train for the next one and get my niggles fixed. <insert more lies>.

The end :)

Perfect training for a 24 hr event!! No sleeping in between now, ya hear?! :)

Ha, pinky swear!!!! :)

Folks,

Do you guys bother with High 5 or any of that stuff? Gels really fup me up, haven't used any drinks bar water.

Any recommendations?

Folks,

Do you guys bother with High 5 or any of that stuff? Gels really fup me up, haven't used any drinks bar water.

Any recommendations?

Shotblox are the business. One pack is roughly the same as two gels but they're in the form of jellies and I find them much less sickly and much easier to stomach.

Also tried Torc rhubarb and custard gels and thought they were nice but I don't see them for sale often.

I'd often throw an electrolyte tablet into the water, especially if I was going to be sweating a lot. In recent times I'd have used Salt Sticks capsules instead - much cheaper and easier to carry & take when you're picking up drinks on the way.

Folks,

Any recommendations?

Hi Truffle Pig, I use PowerBar Isotonic Sports Drink Powder (lemon) mixed with water, it gives you energy and helps to prevent cramp. I bring dioralyte too if I'm sweating a bit, it can be just the pick me up I need when food isn't doing the business.

Everyone uses different gels but you need to find ones that work for you, I use Maxifuel Viper Boost, I like the citrus flavor :)

Will give the shotbox a go Dilbert, thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement

Folks,

Any recommendations?

For what races?

Personally I find for running races up to marathon gels are fine and suit the high intensity.

With the longer duration stuff I tend to avoid gels other than a quick pick me up double espresso one. Bags of rashers, sausages, flapjacks, protein / carb drink, couscous (by the bucket) that kind of thing for the more moderate long distance racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

Best gels to use are no gels whatsover. gels should be used to recover from a complete energy crash, and no more. For longer races wher you should be in the fat-burn zone they are particularly counterproductive.

Thanks folks!

Plenty of choices there. I'm not a fan of gels myself. I usually do adventure races/marathons without anything.

I defo need something though. It's just a case of finding what works for me. Maybe just a few dioralytes aaaand a Snickers :)

Thanks for the tips, sorry for turning this into a chat thread! :/

Anybody fancy a Boardsie meet up before the race, say 9:30 ish at the front of the sports centre?

pointer28 wrote: »
    Anybody fancy a Boardsie meet up before the race, say 9:30 ish at the front of the sports centre?

Sure - why not? I'll be the nervous-looking guy with badgery facefuzz... :p

Jeez Dilbert that's a good description of myself!

Badgery facefuzz, must remember that one.

I'll be in the Midland Tri Club tri shorts (I'll forego the man bra though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Date| Details | Class| Entry Link
    Jan 17 | TEAR | AR 5hr | click here
    Feb 14 | CCAR | AR 5hr| click here
    March 7-8 | The Race | EE / MS | click here
    March 14 | CCAR | AR 5hr |click here
    March 14 | Killarney Adventure Race | MS | click here
    April 25 |MonsterMAC 2015| MS | Click Here
    May 3 |Blackstairs Adventure Race 2015| MS | Click Here
    May 16 | Waterford Adventure Race* | MS | click here
    May 16 | Hell & Back Hercules - Sligo | OR | click here
    May 16-17 | Coast2Coast | EE / MS | click here
    May 30 | King Muck - Castleblayney | OR | click here
    June 6 | Dingle Adventure Race* | MS | click here
    June 13-14 | Hell & Back Apollo - Bray | OR | click here
    June 27 | Gaelforce North* | MS | Click Here
    July 11 | Lilliput Legend | MS | Click Here
    July 18 | Race2Glory Kiltimagh* | MS | Click Here
    July 19 | Moxie* | MS | Click Here
    July 30 | The Beast of Ballyhoura - AR European Series Final| AR 72hrs| click here
    August 15 |Gaelforce West*| MS |Click Here
    Sept 5 | Achill ROAR* | MS |Click Here
    Sept 12 | Hell & Back Titan - Bray | OR | click here
    Sept 26 | Connemara Rough Diamond | MS | Click Here
    Oct 3 | Killarney Adventure Race* | MS | click here
    Oct 17 | SCAR* | MS | Click Here
    Oct 24-25 | Raid | AR 24hrs | click here
    Nov 7 | Sea2Summit* | MS |Click Here
    Dec|||
    |||
    |||
    |||
    | LEGEND||
    [AR] |True day or multi-day Adventure racing. (Beast etc)
    [MS] | Day or part day off-road multisport events with Adventure theme.(Gaelforce etc)
    [OR] | Obstacle type races (Hell & Back, Turf Warrior etc)
    [EE] | Endurance Event (covers a multitude)
    * | 2015 National Adventure Race Series Events

pointer28 wrote: »
    Dilbert75 wrote: »

How did ye all get on?

How did ye all get on?

Not great TBH, disappointed in the result but first ever AR of any kind so probably expecting too much and didn't treat it with the respect it deserved.

Course was tough but epic in a good way. Training wasn't specific enough to give it a decent stab but at least I know where to go from here.

Can see me doing some more of these and definitely have a score to settle with the Blackstairs next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

it wasnt on this list, but id strongly recommend anyone looking for a tough little multisport race to head for clare island adventure race next may, for a race with a total distance of 23 and a bit k its surprisingly tough.. yet do-able for everyone.. well run and of course if you want theres always the chance to stay overnight and enjoy the hospitality ..

Advertisement