Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you deal with 'Tailgaters' ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Something tells me I'll be using my now not-imaginary back off sign on you soon.

oh well, you're not the only one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

If someone is driving agressively behind you, slowing down only makes them more likely to do something dangerous to get past you.

If you aren't in a hurry and you're a sensible driver, why not just let them pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Decrease speed gradually (obviously!).
    Hazard lights or gentle brake- tapping.
    Indicate left when theres clearance for them to overtake (but for some reason a lot of them dont want to overtake, and prefer to stay there tailgating!)
    What are Mercedes and Lexus drivers the worst for or is only Baudi drivers? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If someone is driving agressively behind you, slowing down only makes them more likely to do something dangerous to get past you.

If you aren't in a hurry and you're a sensible driver, why not just let them pass?

Slowing down is letting them pass more safely and frankly I'd be safer slower with some muppet near me than trying to race them

Unless you're driving over the line how are you stopping them?
    You cant make a safe place to pull in magically appear in front of the driver ahead, by harassing them :/

• Advertisement

What if the driver behind you doing this purposelessly and just feeling confident enough behind the wheel with not feeling the need to leave more space between two cars ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Carpentry wrote: »
    What if the driver behind you doing this purposelessly and just feeling confident enough behind the wheel with not feeling the need to leave more space between two cars ?

Whaa ??

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Whaa ??

purposelessly - without a clear purpose; "let's not purposelessly dispense the aid"

I know sometimes english language - hard language

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I guess it depends on what a safe stopping distance at 50 kph would be, I know in city traffic you'd be pretty close to other cars at this kinda speed, probably would leave a bit more distance on country roads.

Probably not relevant....but was driving yesterday pretty much same deal as OP, 50 kph on the road I was on can in front was I guess like 50 meters or so out, we reached a small incline on the road and I ended up having to break quiet a bit as the car in front dropped down to about 30 kph as they couldn't be bothered accelerating up the hill which brought me fairly close to his car...so not always the car behinds fault, if you're not maintaining a consistent speed cars may end up tailgating you even if they don't intend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

What? So confident that the laws of physics don't apply to them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

buck65 wrote: »
    What about caution / hazard lights , this usually gives the message to back - off. Then pull in let them pass, follow them with your headlights on until you drive them off the road. Get out , take hurley from the boot and finish them off.

I like this one the best :D

purposelessly - without a clear purpose; "let's not purposelessly dispense the aid"

I know sometimes english language - hard language

I've never seen that word in my life until now.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I've never seen that word in my life until now.

that's why OldNotWise ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Pumped the brakes on a raving lunatic one morning, was doing 100 in a 100 zone, he basically tried to bully me out of his way... a few miles later we had to stop at roadworks, he got out of the car after me and started mouthing off. I got out and was bigger than him, a lot bigger (6"4 18 stone) and told him to f off.

A few weeks later I seen him a few feet behind another car at top speed trying to bully his way by... dipstick. A punch in the bollocks might not have been wasted on him.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Pumped the brakes on a raving lunatic one morning, was doing 100 in a 100 zone, he basically tried to bully me out of his way... a few miles later we had to stop at roadworks, he got out of the car after me and started mouthing out. I got out and was bigger than him, a lot bigger (6"4 18 stone) and told him to f off.

A few weeks later I seen him a few feet behind another car at top speed trying to bully his way by... dipstick.

remember ---> the bigger the target the easier to hit :O)

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I had a mad ex who was a cigarette rep, she used slam on the brakes when it happened with no warning.
    She was never rear ended but many of her victims would have to swerve off the road depending on where she did it.
    I did say she was a nutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

I don't get this at all. Why would you be intimidated by anyone driving behind you?? I'd just keep driving my own course. If someone wants to pass, let them off but don't stress over it, unless you are not confident in your own driving ability.

ratracer wrote: »
    I don't get this at all. Why would you be intimidated by anyone driving behind you?? I'd just keep driving my own course. If someone wants to pass, let them off but don't stress over it, unless you are not confident in your own driving ability.

In case you have to brake heavily and they slap into the back of you? Thought that was pretty obvious

ratracer wrote: »

When you have to brake suddenly because a child or animal runs out in front of you you'll understand. Your driving ability has nothing to do with the cars braking distance.

When you have to brake suddenly because a child or animal runs out in front of you you'll understand. Your driving ability has nothing to do with the cars braking distance.

But they do teach you to look bit futher down the road and try to predict any hazards on the road so you should slow down anyway seeing children playing near the road, sudden braking not going to save their lives... common sense

• Advertisement

But they do teach you to look forward down the road and try to predict any hazards on the road so you should slow down anyway seeing children playing near the road, sudden braking not going to save their lives... common sense

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

But they do teach you to look forward down the road and try to predict any hazards on the road so you should slow down anyway seeing children playing near the road, sudden braking not going to save their lives... common sense

Life ain't that simple... the need to brake suddenly can happen for lots more reasons.

But they do teach you to look bit futher down the road and try to predict any hazards on the road so you should slow down anyway seeing children playing near the road, sudden braking not going to save their lives... common sense

Regardless of how good a driver you are, sudden breaking is a necessary fact of life at times. A child can run out from between two parked cars for example.

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read

Does that mean that you just simply don't give a f... about what's going on the road around you ?

Feel sorry for you....

...and by the way, it should have been "most stupid thing"

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

It's amazing how often the term 'common sense' is used to mean 'popular ignorance'.

It's amazing how often the term 'common sense' is used to mean 'popular ignorance'.

I'd say common sense is what's the people in this country missing the most

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Does that mean that you just simply don't give a f... about what's going on the road around you ?

Feel sorry for you....

...and by the way, it should have been "most stupid thing"

I would argue that driving under duress with some ****wit driver inches from your rear bumper doesn't make you a safer, more aware driver, but that's just me.

Added to that that your braking distance is going to be the least of your worries if a kid runs out in front of you and you have the basic physics of another couple of tonnes of vehicle behind you propelling your forwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Get out of their way. Give them the finger. Life's too short to do dangerous stuff like brake in front of them and slowing down will just enrage the fools into dangerous overtaking.

With any luck they'll end up a serious crash eventually.

Keep looking in the rear view mirror on the car behind definitely not going to help either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Pull into the nearest hard shoulder momentarily to allow them to pass. What's the issue?

If the weather is absolutely **** and it's dark, there are times when you would have no idea what might be in the hard shoulder.

People driving on the hard shoulder is one of my pet hates.

Advertisement