Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you deal with 'Tailgaters' ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Carpentry wrote: »
    But they do teach you to look bit futher down the road and try to predict any hazards on the road so you should slow down anyway seeing children playing near the road, sudden braking not going to save their lives... common sense

Please go back and have a few more lessons.

What you call confidence in your own (or a tailgaters) driving ability is actually overestimating your ability and its arrogant and dangerous.

Having read the justifications on this thread I realise now that tailgaters arent a bit ashamed, they actually think theyre great drivers - when they are a menace!

I never used to report people but I'm going to start reporting tailgaters from now on. At least that way I might save them from learning the hard way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

What's the issue?

Being bellicose, bullying sh1t heads that cause the majority of pile ups on motorways might be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Please go back and have a few more lessons.

What you call confidence in your own (or a tailgaters) driving ability is actually overestimating your ability and its arrogant and dangerous.

Having read the justifications on this thread I realise now that tailgaters arent a bit ashamed, they actually think theyre great drivers - when they are a menace!

I never used to report people but I'm going to start reporting tailgaters from now on. At least that way I might save them from learning the hard way!

And how are you going to judge whats tailgating and what is just simple driving behind ?

And how are you going to judge whats tailgating and what is just simple driving behind ?

Dear God!
    If you don't know how to tell the difference please tell me youre not a driver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Having basic brain activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Common sense? (*Deja vu moment)

Dear God!
    If you don't know how to tell the difference please tell me youre not a driver!

I actually am, been driving few years and never had a single moment of trouble on the road.

But I can tell you one thing. People who call other drivers tailgaters usually leave acres of space between the cars and then tend to catch the light sometimes going through the junction on red light and that's dangerous without doubt, or by leaving so big spaces between cars cause thing called traffic.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Common sense? (*Deja vu moment)

not really

I actually am, been driving few years and never had a single moment of trouble on the road.

But I can tell you one thing. People who call other drivers tailgaters usually leave acres of space between the cars and then tend to catch the light sometimes going through the junction on red light and that's dangerous without doubt, or by leaving so big spaces between cars cause thing called traffic.

That's like saying 'I touched an electrical appliance with wet hands once and didn't get electrocuted'

You have probably just been lucky. And possibly caused trouble without realising it.

Ive never seen 'acres' of space left- and wouldnt worry about people causing traffic, thats not an excuse to tailgate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Carpentry must be a wind up merchant.

• Advertisement

I am just pissed of with people that cannot drive or can barely and calling the others dangerous because they do not understand how it is to feel confident behind the wheel or just simply as a decent driving person.

Are you one of the people that put handbrake on every time they need to stop ?

Does that mean that you just simply don't give a f... about what's going on the road around you ?

Feel sorry for you....

...and by the way, it should have been "most stupid thing"

I have no idea how you managed to get that out of my post.

You really think heavy braking won't save someones life?

I wouldn't feel sorry for me. I certainly don't.

What I called your post is perfectly acceptable and you know it. Or do you?

And you are calling this heavy breaking ? he was driving like 5 kph ....

And you are calling this heavy breaking ? he was driving like 5 kph ....

Yup. What would you call it? As a result of his heavy braking he didn't slap into the idiotic, unexpected cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Slam the breaks, get your car fixed on their insurance an claim wiplash, make ****loads of money then laugh about it 6 months later

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Go have a look at the rules of the road, maybe? And then use your noggin.

As for pulling over, that just basically encourages the tailgaters the next time when they think "oh well driving up someones arse made them move the last time, I may keep doing it".

Yup. What would you call it? As a result of his heavy braking he didn't slap into the idiotic, unexpected cyclist.

it's just impossible to break heavy if you barely roll

sup_dude wrote: »
    Go have a look at the rules of the road, maybe? And then use your noggin.

That's quote from RSA

"Always leave enough room between you and the vehicle in front to allow you
    to stop safely. In dry conditions, you should make sure that you are at least two
    seconds behind the vehicle in front. In bad weather, make sure you are four
    seconds behind."

2 seconds isn't that big gap as you imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

That's quote from RSA

"Always leave enough room between you and the vehicle in front to allow you
    to stop safely. In dry conditions, you should make sure that you are at least two
    seconds behind the vehicle in front. In bad weather, make sure you are four
    seconds behind."

Yup, exactly! There's your answer

it's just impossible to break heavy if you barely roll

But your man just did it in the video I posted. He was going faster than 5km/ph too by the way.

• Advertisement

But your man just did it in the video I posted. He was going faster than 5km/ph too by the way.

How could he be going faster if he just stopped because of the taxi driver in front of him, you just gave a bad example, not my fault....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

Only a fool breaks the two second rule.Hence he was a fool as I doubt it was a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

2 seconds isn't that big gap as you imagine.

A quick calculation for various common road speeds says that a 2 sec gap equates to:

10kph = 5.4m
    50kph = 27.6m
    80kph = 44.4m
    100kph = 55.4m

To give you something to scale that against, I drive a Land Rover Defender 110, a pretty big 4WD, and that's 4.5m long. So, those lengths translate to in and around:

10kph = 1 4WD length
    50kph = 6 4WD lengths
    80kph = 10 4WD lengths
    100kph = 12 4WD lengths

It looks like it's you who isn't so sure of what a 2 second gap looks like...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Back when cars were a lot more basic, a mate had a Wipac spot lamp mounted on the boot of his Mini, as a reversing light. Believe me, if you drove on his bumper, you would find yourself slamming on your brakes until your eyesight recovered!

How could he be going faster if he just stopped because of the taxi driver in front of him, you just gave a bad example, not my fault....

No he didn't :confused:

The only time he stopped is when the cyclist appeared

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

If I am on a motorway I will usually wait until I am alongside a truck and then I will slow down to match it's speed. Usually about 80kmh I will keep this up until I am bored of going slow. . I love the wild gesticulation that I can see in my mirror.

I feel it's our duty to fnuck with thele tailgaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

I keep driving normally. I'm usually at the speed limit unless there's a good reason to be under.

It's annoying and especially more so when they're headlights are misaligned/too bright

mike_ie wrote: »
    A quick calculation for various common road speeds says:

10kph = 5.4m
    50kph = 27.6m
    80kph = 44.4m
    100kph = 55.4m

To give you something to scale that against, I drive a Land Rover Defender 110, a pretty big 4WD, and that's 4.5m long. So, those lengths translate to in and around:

10kph = 1 4WD length
    50kph = 6 4WD lengths
    80kph = 10 4WD lengths
    100kph = 12 4WD lengths

It looks like it's you who isn't so sure of what a 2 second gap looks like...

2 seconds rule explanation, again from RSA

"A good way to see if you are four seconds behind the vehicle in front is to
    choose a point such as a lamp post or road sign. When the vehicle in front of
    you passes the post or sign, say the following rule twice – ‘only a fool breaks the
    two second rule’. Check where your vehicle is in relation to the chosen point. If
    you have moved past"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

iDave wrote: »
    Don't know how to do deal with them myself but...now you might think this as dramatic...but they are the scum of the Earth.
    90% of drive a combination of Audi or BMW.
    I don't think you're being dramatic, the self-entitlement of these juveniles never ceases to amaze me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

2 seconds rule explanation, again from RSA

"A good way to see if you are four seconds behind the vehicle in front is to
    choose a point such as a lamp post or road sign. When the vehicle in front of
    you passes the post or sign, say the following rule twice – ‘only a fool breaks the
    two second rule’. Check where your vehicle is in relation to the chosen point. If
    you have moved past"

You seem to have some notion that what you just said disqualifies what I've just proven... :confused::confused:

Advertisement