Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you deal with 'Tailgaters' ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

No he didn't :confused:

The only time he stopped is when the cyclist appeared

I think we are watching different videos...

mike_ie wrote: »
    You seem to have some notion that what you just said disqualifies what I've just proven... :confused::confused:

You just gave me some examples based on vehicle you are driving and are not really correct :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tapping the brake pedal without actually applying the brakes usually does the trick.
    If they have a dash-cam, and crash into you shortly after you "brakecheck", I wonder could they have a case that you braked for no reason?

Personally, I take the foot off the gas, and see how slow can I go. They were up my ass at 60, still up my ass at 30. F**k im!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Carpentry wrote: »
    You just gave me some examples based on vehicle you are driving and are not really correct :eek:

Um... I have some examples based on 'metres' and 'seconds' ... things like time and distance are as fixed of values as you could be dealing with. The vehicle I drive doesn't change that - it gives a sense of scale...

But please, feel free to prove me wrong on that. I await your answer with bated breath....

:rolleyes:

I think we are watching different videos...

I'd hope so because if you think that the dashcam car stopped anywhere in the video before the cyclist appeared then I'd question whether you should be allowed on the road yourself.

• Advertisement

I'd hope so because if you think that the dashcam car stopped anywhere in the video before the cyclist appeared then I'd question whether you should be allowed on the road yourself.

Thank god you're not the one to judge. And if he was going faster than 5 kph than I am walking barefoot everywhere from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

the_syco wrote: »
    If they have a dash-cam, and crash into you shortly after you "brakecheck", I wonder could they have a case that you braked for no reason?

Personally, I take the foot off the gas, and see how slow can I go. They were up my ass at 60, still up my ass at 30. F**k im!

Theoretically they could have to brake if something ran out ahead in the dark with poor visibility. Whether that something turned out to be a plastic bag blowing in the wind is irrelevant. A dashcam is not going to disprove or prove that something appeared to come out in front of the car ahead.
    Braking for no reason in itself is not the problem, you dont drive too close thereby eliminating the danger of someone else braking suddenly by acting responsibly and pre emptively yourself. Someone could have a petit mal fit unknown to themself at the wheel, almost anything can happen to cause a change in the driver behaviour ahead.

the_syco wrote: »

My brakes are never actually applied when I do it. The brake pedal switch in my car is ultra sensitive. You barely have to brush your foot off the pedal and the lights come on.

I'd imagine they'd only have a case if it was insurance fraud or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

I skimmed the entire thread and didnt see one mention about just speeding up. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

Thank god you're not the one to judge. And if he was going faster than 5 kph than I am walking barefoot everywhere from tomorrow.

Seems a good idea to take you off the road anyway, but please stop posting replies that'll get nowhere. You're acting like the tailgates equivalent of a board poster now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Am I the only one slightly concerned about sharing a road with Carpentry?

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Carpentry must be a wind up merchant.

I really, really hope so.

danrua01 wrote: »
    Seems a good idea to take you off the road anyway, but please stop posting replies that'll get nowhere. You're acting like the tailgates equivalent of a board poster now.

wow, you have just added up something really valuable...:confused:

sup_dude wrote: »
    Am I the only one slightly concerned about sharing a road with Carpentry?

sorry to dissapoint you dude, van driver here, if everything said so far haven't put you off the road, and again, never had a trouble on the road:)
    I really, really hope so.

So blow me Rose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

bluewolf wrote: »
    Slow down gradually to reduce any damage / stopping distance in the event of an impact, and drive tight left to let them know they can overtake if they want

The official method. Yus, we approve of this. However, RoSPA also points out that "a brake-test that also tests the seatbelts is not usually necessary." ;)

sorry to dissapoint you dude, van driver here, if everything said so far haven't put you off the road, and again, never had a trouble on the road:)

Don't really care if you drive a van or a car, either way I wouldn't feel comfortable on a road with someone who doesn't understand basic distance principles, whether you've never had an accident or not...

sorry to dissapoint you dude, van driver here...

Yes, I can tell! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

Surely van drivers should be taking even more car with their behaviour on the road, and be leaving more room between them and any vehicle in front?

Well done on single handedly debunking the myth thats its the baudi drivers who are arrogant and lady drivers who have no spatial awareness!

danrua01 wrote: »
    Surely van drivers should be taking even more car with their behaviour on the road, and be leaving more room between them and any vehicle in front?

Especially when there's stuff in the van.

• Advertisement

sup_dude wrote: »
    Don't really care if you drive a van or a car, either way I wouldn't feel comfortable on a road with someone who doesn't understand basic distance principles, whether you've never had an accident or not...

I just said about hundred of times that driving close to vehicle in front of you isn't dangerous as long as you can maintain the distance whether the person in front is braking or not.

Well done on single handedly debunking the myth thats its the baudi drivers who are arrogant and lady drivers who have no spatial awareness!

sorry again, but driving Lexus privately :) I wouldn't touch BMW nor Audi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I generally slow down and speed up to annoy them, brake erratically and swerve around a little. They tend to back off then

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

kryogen wrote: »
    I generally slow down and speed up to annoy them, brake erratically and swerve around a little. They tend to back off then
    It's bad driving to do anything that is designed to annoy other drivers.

I just said about hundred of times that driving close to vehicle in front of you isn't dangerous as long as you can maintain the distance whether the person in front is braking or not.

The fact you don't know the difference between tailgating and driving behind is worrying. If you are driving far enough away that you can stop in time behind the person in front safely, then you are far enough back. If you cannot do this, then you are most likely tailgating and driving dangerously. Yes, you are correct. However, the problem is you had to ask and yet you managed to get a full license... People know the difference between tailgating and driving behind because there are rules and common sense... neither of which you don't seem to know very well

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Actually you didn't - you stated afterwards that:
    2 seconds rule explanation, again from RSA

"A good way to see if you are four seconds behind the vehicle in front is to
    choose a point such as a lamp post or road sign. When the vehicle in front of
    you passes the post or sign, say the following rule twice – ‘only a fool breaks the
    two second rule’. Check where your vehicle is in relation to the chosen point. If
    you have moved past"

So, which is it? The 2 second rule (which apparently you don't grasp, based on your response to my post), or your own arbitrary rule?

mike_ie wrote: »
    Actually you didn't - you stated afterwards that:

So, which is it? The 2 second rule (which apparently you don't grasp, based on your response to my post), or your own arbitrary rule?

Well, the 2 second rule applies to the driving on the motorway, so I guess on the city streets it's up to the driver to maintain safe distance.

Did my answer made you happy ?:)

Well, the 2 second rule applies to the driving on the motorway, so I guess on the city streets it's up to the driver to maintain safe distance.

You are the weakest link. Goodbye!

jimgoose wrote: »
    You are the weakest link. Goodbye!

jii, that was a bit harsh :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Dig up! Dig up! LOL

Nate

Advertisement