Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you deal with 'Tailgaters' ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Confidence + no clue how to drive safely. That's the usual mixture that ends up ruining some poor soul's day. Or life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Carpentry wrote: »
    sorry again, but driving Lexus privately :) I wouldn't touch BMW nor Audi

Good. I hate to see a good car wasted on a bad driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Well, the 2 second rule applies to the driving on the motorway, so I guess on the city streets it's up to the driver to maintain safe distance.

Did my answer made you happy ?:)

Not really - it highlights your lack of knowledge of the rules of the road, and of basic distances more than anything else, to the detriment of other road users.

According to Road Traffic Laws as of 1st March 2013

In traffic, the distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you is known as the safe headway. Keep a safe headway by ensuring you are at least two seconds behind the vehicle in front. This is known as the two-second rule.

Two second rule applies to driving in general, not just on the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Good. I hate to see a good car wasted on a bad driver.

what took you so long ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

jii, how am I going to sleep tonite with this in mind :confused:

Couldn't tell you, chief. Sounds like you're asleep in the van anyway, so I'd imagine you'll be grand. Pity about the other poor bastards on the road, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

mod

That's enough bickering and sniping for now, let's all tidy up our toys and get back on topic.

jii, that was a bit harsh :rolleyes:

Ninja edit spotted. Straighten yourself up before you kill someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Couple this evening on the m50.. Kinda scary how some people drive just as dangerous in the pouring rain as they do in dry conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Driving home the other night, pouring with rain really wet roads had a car tailgating me, right up the Ars* of my car, if I had to break suddenly absolutely no way he/she would have stopped in time. It was long 50km/h stretch , no-where to pull in and let them overtake, and i was driving close to 50km/h so i wasnt dawdling - what have you found the best way to deal with people like this? - who's fault in an 'accident' caused by this? is it always the car drivers fault thats travelling behind?

If you were driving at 50km...speed up granny or tailgating will happen!

JeffKenna wrote: »

Oh good man, stones. Another psychopath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

Driving home the other night, pouring with rain really wet roads had a car tailgating me, right up the Ars* of my car, if I had to break suddenly absolutely no way he/she would have stopped in time. It was long 50km/h stretch , no-where to pull in and let them overtake, and i was driving close to 50km/h so i wasnt dawdling - what have you found the best way to deal with people like this? - who's fault in an 'accident' caused by this? is it always the car drivers fault thats travelling behind?

Use your handbrake as they get no warning....

50km/h was the speed limit on the road was my reading of the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Carpentry wrote:
    Are you one of the people that put handbrake on every time they need to stop ?

Am you are supposed to take the car out of gear and put the handbrake on when stopped.

How did you pass your driving test?

Coasting is a fail I believe

LucidLife wrote: »
    Use your handbrake as they get no warning....

Master of Evil are you, Darth! :):):)

Ok folks, so I am going to drive around a bit, do some tailgating, and will come back right after with some fresh feedback from the road.

BTW, where is Irish sense of humor gone ? I wish I had no speak in here. Cheerie-o cheerie-o some one of you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

He was driving according to speed limit and conditions. And your comment is ageist.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Am you are supposed to take the car out of gear and put the handbrake on when stopped...

Handbrake first, squire. For the civilian test, anyway. You may choose to select neutral depending on what's happening.

Am you are supposed to take the car out of gear and put the handbrake on when stopped.

Coasting is a fail I believe

Actually, you should leave the car on the first gear, clutch pressed and apply handbrake.
    I am a happy owner of AT transmission so no fuss withe handbrake thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Lads yee have windows. Roll it down and put your hand out it and signal them to feck off. I've been tempted to brake check them but I never have. Slow down and annoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

50km/h was the speed limit on the road was my reading of the comment.

He said he was driving 'close' to the 50km. My reading of that is he was just under it. It's people like the OP who cause the most accidents on roads, thinking he has a god given right to hold people up because of the speed limit. Find a place to pull in and let people pass, I don't know one stretch of road in this country where you couldn't find some gap and leave the traffic behind you building up off.

• Advertisement

Actually, you should leave the car on the first gear, clutch pressed and apply handbrake.

Wrong.

How did you pass yours or you did not ? Is it big L still on your windscreen ? :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    Master of Evil are you, Darth! :):):)

It happens :) I didn't think of it I assure you but I experienced it.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Wrong.

Can you be more specific ?

Hahahaha there are levels of humor here for me ty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

ratracer wrote: »
    I don't get this at all. Why would you be intimidated by anyone driving behind you?? I'd just keep driving my own course. If someone wants to pass, let them off but don't stress over it, unless you are not confident in your own driving ability.

You might be a confident driver but if you ignore what is behind you, I wouldnt class you as a very competent driver. You need to be wary whats behind you incase of unexpected circumstances.

Can you be more specific ?

Oh yes.

He said he was driving 'close' to the 50km. My reading of that is he was just under it. It's people like the OP who cause the most accidents on roads, thinking he has a god given right to hold people up because of the speed limit. Find a place to pull in and let people pass, I don't know one stretch of road in this country where you couldn't find some gap and leave the traffic behind you building up off.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you had just misread his post but no. You're one of them. Oh well. I bow out.

Carpentry wrote:
    How did you pass yours or you did not ? Is it big L still on your windscreen ? 

I passed mine by getting friendly with the examiner :D

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote:
    Handbrake first, squire. For the civilian test, anyway. You may choose to select neutral depending on what's happening.

I never stated in that order though
    So I'm still right

Advertisement