Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you deal with 'Tailgaters' ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

dunworth1 wrote: »
    I never stated in that order though
    So I'm still right

Aren't they all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

jimgoose wrote: »
    Oh yes.

Oh yes what ? Or you're google isn't up to speed today ?
    dunworth1 wrote: »
    I passed mine by getting friendly with the examiner :D

And you're telling me that is dangerous to have me on the road next to you ? poor me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Carpentry wrote: »
    Oh yes what ? Or you're google isn't up to speed today ?...

Far from Google we were reared, bah. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

We still didn't come up with the idea how to get rid of the so called tailgaters ? Im not going to feel safe on the road knowing they are out there;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Oh yes what ? Or you're google isn't up to speed today ?

And you're telling me that is dangerous to have me on the road next to you ? poor me :)

I never said that. I'm pretty sure that sometimes I do things which is dangerous while driving

Everyone one does one way or another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

We still didn't come up with the idea how to get rid of the so called tailgaters ? Im not going to feel safe on the road knowing they are out there;)

Roll down the window extend your right arm and extend your middle finger

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Custardpi wrote: »
    The Russian method is probably the most effective in these cases.

oh yeeeeeah! - thats the way to go lol :D

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I have an LED display in my back window.

I click a button on my steering wheel and it flashes 'Back Off Buddy' in red letters.

It can be changed to say other things but I keep that one as a default.

Very handy.

id like one of them too ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Oil_Slick02.jpg

just thought of another deterrent - camera pointing out from back window with a powerful flash - blind the b*stards! ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

In my old car, no one ever tailgated me.

Can't figure why...

Very few 50km/h zones have a hard shoulder. Anyway driving on the hard shoulder is a motoring offence.

yeah thats what i thought ....

If someone is driving agressively behind you, slowing down only makes them more likely to do something dangerous to get past you.

yeah i agree with that, slowing down winds em up more
    If you aren't in a hurry and you're a sensible driver, why not just let them pass?

and the ones where you let/want them to pass ... but they still continue to tailgate? ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

and the ones where you let/want them to pass ... but they still continue to tailgate? ....

For your own safety if you cannot shake them off, safely stop. I did this tonight and spoke politely to the driver about their tailgating. ''I wanna get home!'' was the response. No embarassment, no apology, because they felt they had the right to drive faster than everyone else because in their mind they are more important than everyone else on the road. I took the opportunity to record the license plate no. and will be forwarding it t the guards and reporting them for dangerous driving.

Drive at a reasonable speed of course and don't be overly slow and cause tailbacks, goes without saying- but Never speed up because a tailgaters pressuring you into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

But they do teach you to look bit futher down the road and try to predict any hazards on the road so you should slow down anyway seeing children playing near the road, sudden braking not going to save their lives... common sense
    Exactly, read the road ahead and slow down before you are up the arse of the car in front, remember only a fool breaks the 2 second rule ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

A note to tailgaters: flashing your lights does not have a positive effect.

Keep looking in the rear view mirror on the car behind definitely not going to help either
    You must be a professional at this tailgating :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

With Alligaters. Treat tailgaters with Alligaters. You know it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Theoretically they could have to brake if something ran out ahead in the dark with poor visibility.
    I find people who "brake check" when I'm behind them do so constantly. Sometimes it's a light tap, sometimes it's a heavy tap. I'm usually far enough behind them that I don't need to jam on my own brakes, but sometimes they slow down and then jam on the brakes, so you gotta have your wits about you.
    TheBrinch wrote: »
    I skimmed the entire thread and didnt see one mention about just speeding up. Simple.
    If you're going at 80km/h down a country road, how would speeding up stop them tailgating you?
    kryogen wrote: »
    I generally slow down and speed up to annoy them, brake erratically and swerve around a little. They tend to back off then
    If I was behind you, I'd just ring the Gardai and report you as a drunk driver.

ratracer wrote: »
    I don't get this at all. Why would you be intimidated by anyone driving behind you?? I'd just keep driving my own course. If someone wants to pass, let them off but don't stress over it, unless you are not confident in your own driving ability.

its fecking annoying thats why - and a form of bullying - and lights blinding in rear view mirror at night - and why have the potential inconvenience if they plough in the back of you?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

its fecking annoying thats why - and a form of bullying - and lights blinding in rear view mirror at night - and why have the potential inconvenience if they plough in the back of you?

Get rid of your middle rear view mirror, waste of time anyway, fold in your side mirrors problem solved.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    He said he was driving 'close' to the 50km. My reading of that is he was just under it. It's people like the OP who cause the most accidents on roads, thinking he has a god given right to hold people up because of the speed limit. Find a place to pull in and let people pass, I don't know one stretch of road in this country where you couldn't find some gap and leave the traffic behind you building up off.
    Here we have the king of the road :rolleyes: Get out of his way lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Here we have the king of the road :rolleyes: Get out of his way lads :D

What if someone was sick in the car and time was of the essence to get them to hospital? Has happened to me before.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Joshua5

if you can do it safey, just crap in your hand and throw it out the window at their windscreen.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    What if someone was sick in the car and time was of the essence to get them to hospital? Has happened to me before.

Call the ambulance ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Avoid having to Tailgate doddery dawdlers by driving a massively powerful car. Overtaking gets done faster and you don't need to spend ages glaring at their brake-lights every time they meet a car/bend/puddle/slight incline/something yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ratracer

You might be a confident driver but if you ignore what is behind you, I wouldnt class you as a very competent driver. You need to be wary whats behind you incase of unexpected circumstances.

Don't get me wrong, I don't tailgate and it bugs the crap out of me to have some gobsh1te driving up my ass ( doesn't happens all that often though ;)), all I said was if keep my own course and not allow myself be intimidated by it. The reactions by some on here to 'brake testing' etc is every bit as dangerous and stupid as the tailgater in the first place.

Arrive alive folks, be patient !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Avoid having to Tailgate doddery dawdlers by driving a massively powerful car. Overtaking gets done faster and you don't need to spend ages glaring at their brake-lights every time they meet a car/bend/puddle/slight incline/something yellow.

But the problem is where a continuous white line exists where one cannot do a pass out maneuver.

Wow, Mr. Big in his big sh1te car :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Oh my god. I was driving for ages at 50 feckin kmh

I can cycle faster than that.

Get out of the way of the proper drivers please

Advertisement