Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you deal with 'Tailgaters' ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

the_syco wrote: »
    I find people who "brake check" when I'm behind them do so constantly. Sometimes it's a light tap, sometimes it's a heavy tap. I'm usually far enough behind them that I don't need to jam on my own brakes, but sometimes they slow down and then jam on the brakes, so you gotta have your wits about you.

That doesn't sound like they are doing it to encourage you to keep your distance.
    I've noticed people braking frequently for no apparent reason (definitely nothing to do with me, as I don't drive too close)
    They could be seeing things.

Not as unlikely as it sounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Go even slower. If they want to act the dick they'll have to act the dick at a slower pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

jimgoose wrote: »
    The official method. Yus, we approve of this. However, RoSPA also points out that "a brake-test that also tests the seatbelts is not usually necessary." ;)

Didn't say a word about the brakes! I meant foot off the accelerator
    Causing a panicked crash behind me is definitely not the goal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I used to get annoyed by all the tailgaters up here, then I got a towbar fitted.

They don't like my car's bum so much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

bluewolf wrote: »
    Didn't say a word about the brakes! I meant foot off the accelerator
    Causing a panicked crash behind me is definitely not the goal...

Couldn't agree more, squire! But if it happens...

• Advertisement

Couldn't agree more, squire! But if it happens...

You keep calling me squire today!
    When do I get to be a knight :D

bluewolf wrote: »
    You keep calling me squire today!
    When do I get to be a knight :D

"Squire" is gender-neutral, Bluey! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Oh my god. I was driving for ages at 50 feckin kmh

I can cycle faster than that.

Get out of the way of the proper drivers please
    Proper drivers tailgate :rolleyes:

This reminds of the goul that I came across on the roundabout in Mallow earlier today, I was on the roundabout and two cars decided that they would drive out in front of me and I had to brake and flashed the lights at them. When I carried on this goul in a 10 c range rover that was stopped behind them took offence to my action and flashed her lights at me in retaliation :rolleyes:

Proper drivers tailgate :rolleyes:

This reminds of the goul that I came across on the roundabout in Mallow earlier today, I was on the roundabout and two cars decided that they would drive out in front of me and I had to brake and flashed the lights at them. When I carried on this goul in a 10 c range rover that was stopped behind them took offence to my action and flashed her lights at me in retaliation :rolleyes:

You should've got out and kicked the bollix out of him. That'd learn 'em.

• Advertisement

Avoid having to Tailgate doddery dawdlers by driving a massively powerful car. Overtaking gets done faster and you don't need to spend ages glaring at their brake-lights every time they meet a car/bend/puddle/slight incline/something yellow.

I reckon that's part of the problem- eejits at the wheel of more powerful cars not designed for Irish roads and without the ability and nous to drive them.
    Tailgaters should be restricted to driving fiat puntos or nissan micras until they learn to respect other road users. Drivings a privelege.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Wow, Mr. Big in his big sh1te car :rolleyes:

You called?? :)

Banjoxed wrote: »
    I used to get annoyed by all the tailgaters up here, then I got a towbar fitted.

They don't like my car's bum so much now.

Spikes are also good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Funtrepreneur

Generally I try to stay off the road during rush hour because of the woeful quality if Irish driving in general. There should be a test every 10 years and every 3 years if over 70. And I'm being generous at that. There are so many people on the road here whom should not be in charge of a wheelbarrow never mind a deadly weapon like a car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

slow down wait for em to try overtake then speed up so they cant overtake rinse and repeat, these people are the worst sort of scum and deserve everything they get as far as im concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Pay absolutly no heed of them, if they want to pass il pull in from the Center of the lane to let them. Ive never understood why people get so bothered by it.

Also in my experiance a lot of the people complaining about them are the same ones toddling along at 60 ina 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

evo2000 wrote: »
    slow down wait for em to try overtake then speed up so they cant overtake rinse and repeat, these people are the worst sort of scum and deserve everything they get as far as im concerned!

Funny I feel the same about your "sort"

You should've got out and kicked the bollix out of him. That'd learn 'em.
    It was a she, there were two lanes to the next roundabout and she passed on the inside my passenger looked to see if she looked as stupid as she acted, she kept looking straight ahead while shaking her head. If I came across her I wouldn't be responsible for what I'd do :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Big Black Bilbo

Carpentry wrote: »
    Does that mean that you just simply don't give a f... about what's going on the road around you ?

Feel sorry for you....

...and by the way, it should have been "most stupid thing"

Christ, if you're going to insist on correcting people's grammar, you'd be wise to make sure that yours is immaculate.

It makes you look silly.

That's free advice. You're welcome.

It was a she, They were two lanes to the next roundabout and she passed on the inside my passenger looked to see if she looked as stupid as she acted, she kept looking straight ahead while shaking her head. If I came across her I wouldn't be responsible for what I'd do :mad:

Just kick the ovaries out of her then. Do I have to spell every damn thing out to you people?? :)

• Advertisement

Christ, if you're going to insist on correcting people's grammar, you'd be wise to make sure that yours is immaculate.

It makes you look silly.

That's free advice. You're welcome.
    Don't mind him he still thinks brakes are breaks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 patsfan1286

If it's night time, adjust your rearview mirror so it shines their lights back in their face. Or push in the clutch and move the gears to reverse. It won't go into gear, but the clear reverse light comes on in the back. Scares the crap out of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭greasepalm

tailgaters easy ,put flashing blue light on roof and activate sirens and have the pop up sign in rear window

PULL OVER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭SwiftJustice

Put on your fog lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If you are that slow that people are up your rear end it is better to pull in and let them by I have done it often when not in the form to drive fast, full car and other reasons like rain, mist, looking for a new address, unfamiliar territory etc.....

The real culprits are those who think they can hold up everyone else when they are lost, looking for a new address, etc etc. and they dont see the 50 cars behind them trying to get to their destination TODAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

most of the time the car in front causing the hold up is either a yaris, corolla, avensis or landcruiser. 90% of the time its a Toyota of some sort.

will ye just pull in and leave off the cars if ye are holding some one up. its simple

doolox wrote: »
    If you are that slow that people are up your rear end it is better to pull in and let them by I have done it often when not in the form to drive fast, full car and other reasons like rain, mist, looking for a new address, unfamiliar territory etc.....

The real culprits are those who think they can hold up everyone else when they are lost, looking for a new address, etc etc. and they dont see the 50 cars behind them trying to get to their destination TODAY.

Sorry, no- ive been tailgated when going at a fair clip myself. I've been stuck behing very slow and faltering drivers like that too and I keep my atience and don't tailgate them either.

If you're another one who can't tell the difference between minimum stopping distance and 'acres' of room you aren't qualified to comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

At night I turn off all my lights.

thadg wrote: »
    most of the time the car in front causing the hold up is either a yaris, corolla, avensis or landcruiser. 90% of the time its a Toyota of some sort.

will ye just pull in and leave off the cars if ye are holding some one up. its simple
    Grow up, Toyota cars what a fcuking childish comment :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭roofer1988

Very few 50km/h zones have a hard shoulder. Anyway driving on the hard shoulder is a motoring offence.

only on a motorway not on a national road why people dont understand this i dont know.Slow drivers are responsible for accidents too drive on or move over

Advertisement