Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you deal with 'Tailgaters' ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭roofer1988

Tzardine wrote: »
    If I am on a motorway I will usually wait until I am alongside a truck and then I will slow down to match it's speed. Usually about 80kmh I will keep this up until I am bored of going slow. . I love the wild gesticulation that I can see in my mirror.

I feel it's our duty to fnuck with thele tailgaters.

You should be bate off the road get out of the way just cause you have nothing to do all day.go way and get a job and move out of the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Wow, Mr. Big in his big sh1te car :rolleyes:

Evening. I'll presume you're Mr Slow, in his Micra? ;)

I reckon most of the dawdlers can't see properly. It gets dark, or it's raining, and they're hunched over the wheel doing 50, noses pressed to the windscreen, in a little world of fug. I also said I don't tailgate, I just overtake. Tailgating is a pita.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Evening. I'll presume you're Mr Slow, in his Micra? ;)

I reckon most of the dawdlers can't see properly. It gets dark, or it's raining, and they're hunched over the wheel doing 50, noses pressed to the windscreen, in a little world of fug. I also said I don't tailgate, I just overtake. Tailgating is a pita.
    Sorry Mr. Big but your crystal ball is cloudy, you might want to polish it up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭roofer1988

Generally I try to stay off the road during rush hour because of the woeful quality if Irish driving in general. There should be a test every 10 years and every 3 years if over 70. And I'm being generous at that. There are so many people on the road here whom should not be in charge of a wheelbarrow never mind a deadly weapon like a car.

Yea your dead right people driving slow and in the way, should not be on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

Grow up, Toyota cars what a fcuking childish comment :rolleyes:

I have always noticed a trend with this myself. Very often when stuck behind a line of traffic travelling 80km/h on a national road the car holding up the whole show is a Toyota.

Not saying Toyota drivers are slow, but a high proportion of slow drivers I get stuck behind are toyota drivers..

• Advertisement

roofer1988 wrote: »
    Yea your dead right people driving slow and in the way, should not be on the road
    Whatever way other people drive if you can't keep your cool you need to be taken off the road as well ;)

candytog wrote: »
    I have always noticed a trend with this myself. Very often when stuck behind a line of traffic travelling 80km/h on a national road the car holding up the whole show is a Toyota.

Not saying Toyota drivers are slow, but a high proportion of slow drivers I get stuck behind are toyota drivers..
    Maybe you should go to bed half an hour earlier and leave half an hour earlier in the morning then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

Grow up, Toyota cars what a fcuking childish comment :rolleyes:

Sure isn't it their own chief marketing slogan- 'the car in front is a Toyota'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

I usually go on or above the speed limit so when someone is tailgating me its really annoying. On back roads or roads where there's little overtaking possibilities I generally slow down to a crawl and hog the road to prevent them passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Depends ... do you want to stay calm or get stressed? Your choice and in your control.

Check your own judgement

- At night time cars in your rear view mirror can seem a lot closer and more intimidating than they actually are and in urban environment (where 50k zones are) drivers are used of driving closer to each other than rural environments.

- If you're feeling stressed yourself, then your reaction will be a stressed one and do nothing to calm either you or the other driver.

- Maybe they are genuinely in a hurry and will benefit from your polite cooperation.

Feel like pissing them off & stressing yourself out

- brake hard & then accelerate
    - turn on your rear fog lights
    - slow down then speed up

Feel like sending a confusing message

- flash hazards

Feeling nice

- slow down a little, keep as left as you can & allow them to pass without them having to go over the speed limit
    - flicking your left indicator can give them a clue you're letting them pass

Stay in control

- Stay calm
    - adjust your rear view mirror at night
    - keep your speed at the speed limit
    - put on some relaxing music and get on with your own journey or turn off the radio or music it is adding to the distraction,
    - tap your brakes a few times lightly as a signal to back off

Can't guarantee that they'll understand any of this or interpret it the way I think they should.

• Advertisement

You should be bate off the road get out of the way just cause you have nothing to do all day.go way and get a job and move out of the way
    You didn't think he was serious did you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

JeffKenna wrote: »
    He said he was driving 'close' to the 50km. My reading of that is he was just under it. It's people like the OP who cause the most accidents on roads, thinking he has a god given right to hold people up because of the speed limit. Find a place to pull in and let people pass, I don't know one stretch of road in this country where you couldn't find some gap and leave the traffic behind you building up off.

if you want to be pedantic i was doing something like 49,9999999 Km/h the needle was as close to 50kmh - allowing for calibration of the old type needle type (not digital) speedometer, it might be good idea to drive just under the speed limit just to err on the side of caution - and lets all remember that figure is a 'SPEED LIMIT' - it dont mean you have to maintain your driving at that speed it means you are breaking the law if you go over that limit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

only on a motorway not on a national road why people dont understand this i dont know.Slow drivers are responsible for accidents too drive on or move over

That would be collisions, saying its an accident implies no one is to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Call the ambulance ;)

Not much good if a loved one is in serious trouble.

Happened to me once where my pregnant OH was in trouble and needed to get to hospital. I turned on the hazards and in fairness every car left me by handily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Pull into the nearest hard shoulder momentarily to allow them to pass. What's the issue?

Hello Mr Tailgater

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

JC01 wrote: »
    Funny I feel the same about your "sort"

My sort care not for the opinions of your "sort"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

JC01 wrote: »
    Pay absolutly no heed of them, if they want to pass il pull in from the Center of the lane to let them. Ive never understood why people get so bothered by it.

Also in my experiance a lot of the people complaining about them are the same ones toddling along at 60 ina 80.

Your sort getting what they deserve from my sort!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,231 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

either try to ignore them
    or adjust your speed either up or down to feel a bit more comfortable with gap

I usually lift off and slow down a bit, I guess because it feels safer when someones too close if the speeds are reduced

if somebody wants to overtake it's odd they don't understand that
    they've got more visibility and room to accelerate if they leave a reasonable gap to the car in front

if they don't want to overtake and just like following close then its hard to understand why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Why is everyone in such a rush going nowhere. Slow down were a long time dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

if you sped up to leave a longer gap but by doing so you broke the speed limit would an explanation to the Gard's should they pull you over that "I broke the speed limit because the person behind was tailgating me" - would that cut the mustard or would they still do you? - im presuming 'Do you for speeding' ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I just work out the speed for their stopping distance and drive at that speed. White van tonight managed to get me down to about 15Kph going out towards Howth.

I love that bit in Top Gear when he's going on about the feature that controls the speed relative to the car in front like cruise control 2.0.

"You can have anywhere from X to the 'Full Audi'" :pac:

It's three type of vehicles with only two drivers;

Audis - 99% are driven by complete knobs (I assume they're all rep mobiles)
    Old Beamers with the below drivers in their 'night car'
    Van drivers

That and anyone with a KE plate, none of the can drive in Dublin. All to busy trying to get out of the 'big smoke'.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭whats_my_name

Meet many of these assholes on the n4 (speed limit 80km/hr) & on the m50 (100 km/hr). Used to panic & try & get into the next available space with little room in the lane next to me but now I wait until its safe to do so...unfortunately for the tailgater it might mean been behind me for a considerable amount of time! People don't seem to understand speed limits nowadays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Meet many of these assholes on the n4 (speed limit 80km/hr) & on the m50 (100 km/hr). Used to panic & try & get into the next available space with little room in the lane next to me but now I wait until its safe to do so...unfortunately for the tailgater it might mean been behind me for a considerable amount of time! People don't seem to understand speed limits nowadays!

That's a bit different. If you're overtaking and making progress fine, otherwise it's not up to you to set the speed limit. Lane hoging is as bad as tailgating IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭whats_my_name

That's a bit different. If you're overtaking and making progress fine, otherwise it's not up to you to set the speed limit. Lane hoging is as bad as tailgating IMHO.

Its lane hogging when there is no one in the next available lane but when there is a line of traffic that you are obviously going faster then albeit a car stuck up your ass its hardly lane hogging & no I would never determine the speed limit...there is usually little circular signs that does that for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

Maybe you should go to bed half an hour earlier and leave half an hour earlier in the morning then.

Sorry..what? I get stuck behind slow drivers all the time, any time, any day. I just made a comment on the type of car it often is.

Me getting up earlier doesn't change the likelyhood of this happening. They will still be there, plodding along, oblivious to the line of cars building up behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Carpentry wrote: »
    Does that mean that you just simply don't give a f... about what's going on the road around you ?

Feel sorry for you....

...and by the way, it should have been "most stupid thing"

There is a big difference between "One Of The Stupidest Things" and "Most Stupid Thing".

Most Stupid Thing = No.1 Stupid thing he has seen.

One Of The Stupidest Things = Probably top 5, maybe 10 stupid things.

If you can't grasp simple differences like that, then maybe you should shut the **** up and stop correcting people.

Unless of course you are actually correcting him and clarifying that you are indeed the "Most Stupid Thing", in which case, I certainly do agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

The logic in this thread is horrific

"Tailgaters are driving dangerously, so I drive dangerously to make them stop driving dangerously"

All you're going to do is cause an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've learned to ignore them, for the most part.

My daily commut starts on a stretch of road with a 60kph limit, followed by a stretch of road with 80kph before I come to the dual carriageway (N25).

I avoid driving at rush hour, so will leave the house at 7am. That way, I avoid most people who would sit on my bumper for doing between 60-70kph on the 60kph stretch.
    If I do end up with a tailgater, though, my options are limited. It's a narrow, very bendy and very uphill downhill bit of road, with tall hedges or walls either side. Short of pulling into someone's driveway, I can't pull over to let anyone pass, and there really are no bits where it would be safe for them to overtake.

So I do the only thing I can do. Drive exactly as I normally would and hope that nobody will come to any harm.
    Occasionally, I end up rather stressed and upset if I get a particularly aggressive one. But there's nothing you can do, you can't make other people follow the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

Shenshen wrote: »
    Occasionally, I end up rather stressed and upset if I get a particularly aggressive one. But there's nothing you can do, you can't make other people follow the rules of the road.

Unfortunately, that's the truth!

It IS aggravating when people drive at 20 mph in a 40 zone at rush hour, but there's no call to be up their ar*e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Jam on the brakes as if a I saw something on the road. let them go into the back of me.

They wont do that again

Advertisement