Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice would be appreciated

• 11-12-2014 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi there

I posted in After Hours about an issue I went through when rehoming two dogs. I think perhaps you guys on here might understand it from another perspective as some of you may be involved in rescue. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057342896

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

OP, I just read through those posts, just wondering, you said you got a number for the 'new owner', do you have a full name for this person and a landline number? Honestly I think the only way you can find out is if you turn detective because it doesn't sound like they're going to tell you anything willingly. Don't laugh but have you thought of getting a pet detective I think there is one person in Ireland who does that I'm sure I've seen something on Facebook about him? I know it's a bit extreme but you sound so heartbroken and desperate (as I would be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

I have just read through your posts on the other forum and feel for you. You did what you thought was best, but have found out that people are not always what they seem and are very good at covering up their actions.

You have done as much as you can and unless people tell you the truth you will find it very difficult to find out what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭NewYork1979

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    OP, I just read through those posts, just wondering, you said you got a number for the 'new owner', do you have a full name for this person and a landline number? Honestly I think the only way you can find out is if you turn detective because it doesn't sound like they're going to tell you anything willingly. Don't laugh but have you thought of getting a pet detective I think there is one person in Ireland who does that I'm sure I've seen something on Facebook about him? I know it's a bit extreme but you sound so heartbroken and desperate (as I would be)

I'll take a look about that pet detective.

I only have a number but no name and landline I'm afraid. I spoke to him once when he said they were fine, I said can you send them to a vet of your choice so I can get them microchipped, nothing. I asked for a picture, nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

You said in your post in AH that you volunteer, so were the dogs the responsiblity of a rescue? Did you rehome them to the original family without microchipping etc first?

Did the original family sign an adoption contract which stated they had to go back to you in case it didn't work out? Or that you were to be informed if they wanted to rehome them?

Hi Muddypaws,

I just posted this in the original thread..

There's very little peculiar about it but apologies for the lack of the full tale so to speak.

Basically I volunteer with a charity, I took on these puppies as the charity hadn't room, so I did it myself as I was made aware of the situation personally and I didn't want to leave them where they were, my call. I decided to take it on, pay for everything myself, neutering, food etc. I looked after them in my own home until I found good homes for them. While I wasn't under the charity, I was very careful with my homecheck for the dogs etc. I adopted the dogs to these people however I hadn't the adoption agreement signed as I was calling back myself to collect them and take them to the vet. I did all this as I knew the people in question hadn't much money. Sadly the dogs were moved before I contacted the people to arrange for me to call to take them to the vet etc.

I heard from woman who introduced me to these people that the father got rid of them as one of the dogs got sick, the sickness was a slight cold which I knew about and which I gave my advice on and I kept in touch. The dogs were apparently given to a "friend" of the father's.

That's about the size of it.

Thanks everyone for reading this, some food for thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Hi Muddypaws,

I just posted this in the original thread..

There's very little peculiar about it but apologies for the lack of the full tale so to speak.

Basically I volunteer with a charity, I took on these puppies as the charity hadn't room, so I did it myself as I was made aware of the situation personally and I didn't want to leave them where they were, my call. I decided to take it on, pay for everything myself, neutering, food etc. I looked after them in my own home until I found good homes for them. While I wasn't under the charity, I was very careful with my homecheck for the dogs etc. I adopted the dogs to these people however I hadn't the adoption agreement signed as I was calling back myself to collect them and take them to the vet. I did all this as I knew the people in question hadn't much money. Sadly the dogs were moved before I contacted the people to arrange for me to call to take them to the vet etc.

I heard from woman who introduced me to these people that the father got rid of them as one of the dogs got sick, the sickness was a slight cold which I knew about and which I gave my advice on and I kept in touch. The dogs were apparently given to a "friend" of the father's.

That's about the size of it.

Thanks everyone for reading this, some food for thought.

Sorry, I actually came back in here to edit my post, as it was very brusque.

Sadly, as most rescues learn to their cost, you try and treat people 'kindly' and you get burnt, it is true what they say about people that get dogs for free not appreciating them. Such a shame, when you do actually treat people with some humanity, and they don't repay it.

Do you feel you could go back to the family that you gave them to, and tell them how you feel, that you just want to know the dogs are alright, and to reassure the new owners, that if they ever need help, you will always be there? Maybe they honestly don't realise how much the dogs meant to you?

Do you live in a small community? Maybe someone else will know who this man's friends are, and point you in the right direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Not sure what I can say to make you feel better OP but you've learned some pretty big lessons about getting contracts signed, dogs chipped before homing etc.

People often give out about rescues being so fussy, this is exactly the reason why.

Can the woman who introduced these people to you not get any more information.

What has the father got to do with it? Does he live with the people who adopted the dogs?

The woman who introduced me got nowhere and I think at this stage she has had enough of it.

Harsh lessons learned is right, this is one I will never forget. I'd give anything to know they were alive.

The father was in the family, I dealt with the father, mother and teenage son but the father it turns out is a pr99k.

Muddypaws, I asked the family I gave the dogs to very nicely to let me know that the dogs were ok but they've only told lies. I don't live in the same community as me. Someone made the point that I could go to the guards and go for the angle that I'd paid for everything and that I wanted to know what happened my property. I was always grateful for the guards help so I didn't push them, one guard said I should make a statement and the other said it was better go the nice route and just ask the family what happened but they ignored the guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I'll take a look about that pet detective.

I only have a number but no name and landline I'm afraid. I spoke to him once when he said they were fine, I said can you send them to a vet of your choice so I can get them microchipped, nothing. I asked for a picture, nothing.

Have you tried googling the telephone number?

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Have you tried googling the telephone number?

I did. I'll try the guards again.

I play out the scenarios in my head and what might have happened and no outcome is good. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Do!

I mean technically these dogs still belong to you. That family didn't give you any money I'm presuming and the dogs were not theirs to pass on.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will let you know if I get news. I'll keep trying.

Mods, could you close this thread, I'm not sure how to. I had the original thread in after hours and I've asked for it to be closed too as I need to deal with this now in someway and I don't think leaving it open will help. I hope this doesn't seem ungrateful for the advice so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

muddypaws wrote: »
    Sorry, I actually came back in here to edit my post, as it was very brusque.

Sadly, as most rescues learn to their cost, you try and treat people 'kindly' and you get burnt, it is true what they say about people that get dogs for free not appreciating them. Such a shame, when you do actually treat people with some humanity, and they don't repay it.

Do you feel you could go back to the family that you gave them to, and tell them how you feel, that you just want to know the dogs are alright, and to reassure the new owners, that if they ever need help, you will always be there? Maybe they honestly don't realise how much the dogs meant to you?

Do you live in a small community? Maybe someone else will know who this man's friends are, and point you in the right direction?

"Sadly, as most rescues learn to their cost, you try and treat people 'kindly' and you get burnt.." It's not fair to say that all people are unappreciative of dogs when they get them for free... :mad:. Have you met everyone whose been given a dog for free?

Toulouse wrote: »
    Do!

I mean technically these dogs still belong to you. That family didn't give you any money I'm presuming and the dogs were not theirs to pass on.

I'll try this line with the guards, my friends brother is a guard and I'm going to talk to him. The first thing the father said was that they signed nothing so it was none of my business anymore but flip that on its head and perhaps there's something there..

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Good luck with it, keep trying. Come back and let us know how you get on, I hope it's a good outcome.

Frog Song wrote: »
    Good luck with it, keep trying. Come back and let us know how you get on, I hope it's a good outcome.

I'll absolutely let you know..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, the law (common law) holds that once you voluntarily hand a dog, fridge,TV, book, or any item over to someone with the intention of it becoming their property, unfortunately the act of handing the dog over is what dictates that the dog is now theirs, not yours.
    Thisis why rescues use contracts, because it can keep rescues out of this mire.
    Now, you *may* be able to prove or convince a judge (if it comes to that) that you had a verbal agreement, but you'll need to find ways to back this up, witnesses, emails, texts, whatever.
    I wish you luck, I think many rescues have made similar mistakes and, as muddypaws says, got burned... it is these incidents that has forced rescues to try to make it all as watertight as they can.
    If you want this thread re-opened at any stage, send one of the mods a PM :)
    Good luck.

Thread closed at OP's request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement