Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

05 Opel Astra Wont Start

• 11-12-2014 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a 1.4 petrol astra and it wont start for me. What happens is I turn the ignition and the car battery seems to work but there is no ignition noise(you know the kinda screach noise). Has anyone come across this problem before. Car just got a service 2 months ago, and help would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 aulddub

turn off electrics, lights, fan etc. Floor the accelerator and keep it fully floored, turn the ignition and keep turning it continuously until it fires, usually works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Could be a number of things. How old is the battery? Have you a spare key you could use to start the car and do as the poster says above. Turn everything off and try to start the car.

It could be the starting motor but try the basics first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

I had the same problem in my 1.4 05 Astra. The radio, lights etc all worked but no ignition.

This would only happen occasionally until the car began to shudder and misfire. I ended up changing coilpacks and the issue hasn't happened since.

I have no idea if the two things are related but as I said, it hasn't happened again in around 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

New battery most likely, mine done this last winter and a mate had exactly same thing just a couple weeks ago on my driveway.

Once battery looses capability to hold less than 12v it wont start. Mine held 11.6v but would not start and mates had dropped just below that.

Advertisement