Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex-housemate and money

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Woshy wrote: »
    A while ago I got a random fb message (in my others folder) from someone I didn't know saying one of my fb friends, Andy (a guy I worked with years ago) had left this guy's apartment with no notice owing him some money in rent and bills. He'd sent this msg to every one of Andy's fb friends, saying he was owed x amount and Andy wouldn't return it or even respond to him, basically to shame him into giving money back. As I didn't actually see Andy in real life I don't know if it worked but there's an option for you!

I suppose it might work, I suppose if I had to consider such a route ever, it might be worth shaming them publicly but not asking for the money publicly, although it might be certain after that they will never pay, but at least someone near enough to them might bring it up or at least cast suspicion on them, they could of course claim its fake, so you might need proof to shut that kind of idea down too, no harm in letting everyone know what they are like? or is there? could you be leaving yourself open to being accused of libel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Chalk it up and move on , also get off face book

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Would you??????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Would you??????

Yes, have done in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

No way, all avenues have not been exhausted. The OP would be mad to give up at this stage.

• Advertisement

Let us know how you get on or what you decide to do.
    Path of least resistance sometimes is worth it, if I was less stubborn I might have taken my own advice in the past where I needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dixiefly wrote: »
    If she still doesn't pay, post a screen shot of the evidence to a thread of her partying and to her FB page and also if possible to a work related page. Blitz her before she can unfriend you. At the same time tell her that you will inform her employer.
    Regarding the "blitz her before she can unfriend you" part; there's nothing stopping her from going into the police station, and filing a case of harassment against the OP if the OP did this. Added to that, as the OP has no proof that the person owes the OP anything, thus the person could paint the OP as slightly unhinged. The person could also post on the OP's work related FB page that the OP has been harassing them.

Unless the OP has proof, it may be cheaper in the long run to chalk it up to experience, and to ensure they get a deposit next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

cruais wrote: »
    i could really do with the money especially for christmas as i am smashed.

Try the guilt trip approach. Explain that you were expecting to buy a nice Christmas present for <insert young relative here> who has been very sick lately, but because she won't do the grown up thing and pay what she owes, you can't afford it this year. Poor little <relative> will be a laughing stock when they go back to school and don't have <popular toy> until next year (when it's out of fashion) and it's all her fault. I hope she's proud of herself.

Try the guilt trip approach. Explain that you were expecting to buy a nice Christmas present for <insert young relative here> who has been very sick lately, but because she won't do the grown up thing and pay what she owes, you can't afford it this year. Poor little <relative> will be a laughing stock when they go back to school and don't have <popular toy> until next year (when it's out of fashion) and it's all her fault. I hope she's proud of herself.

To hell with that guilt trip tack, how about they were hoping to buy a turkey/food for xmas and pay the mortgage/insurance/electric/heating bills

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

four hundred quid is not worth the hasstle to chase up and getting annoyed about it only affects your own mental health, they don't give a toss.

Mentally write it off, chalk it up to a life lesson and simply forget about it. Mentally dropping dead weight is worth more that that amount of money.

• Advertisement

four hundred quid is not worth the hasstle to chase up and getting annoyed about it only affects your own mental health, they don't give a toss.

Mentally write it off, chalk it up to a life lesson and simply forget about it. Mentally dropping dead weight is worth more that that amount of money.

Id say, try recover it first, then you know you did all you could, THEN write it off mentally (not in a mental fashion or maybe).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

If this person was an investment and you were paying yourself the time spent chasing this and obsessing over this debt would it be worth it or should you just cut those losses?

Id say in this case most certainly the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

The OP hasnt come back here o comment so ye guys are probably right, it doesn't seem that big of an issue to the OP so not much point in the rest of us getting too concerned.

Probably a thread that could be closed at this stage.

Advertisement