Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12 Pubs

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

pauliebdub wrote: »
    We're doing it next Friday, at least 10 of us going to 12 different pubs. We all have to wear our Christmas jumper and reindeer hats and since I'm organising it have to carry a bell that I ring when it's time to move on to the next pub. Can't wait, it's always mad, apart from the odd hassle.

You should print off the rules for everyone, maybe make laminated cards, save on the hassle later.

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

And to top it off its usually the most loud obnoxious "I LOVE ORGANISING" girl in the group in charge too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Grumble grumble grumble ... People enjoying something I don't .... Rabble rabble rabble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Keep it down u will wake up the elderly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

You should print off the rules for everyone, maybe make laminated cards, save on the hassle later.

;)

All the participants have to do is wear a Christmas jumper, I'll buy the hats in advance as soon as numbers are confirmed so that we are all wearing the same hats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

All the participants have to do is wear a Christmas jumper, I'll buy the hats in advance as soon as numbers are confirmed so that we are all wearing the same hats.

why bother??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Jesus yeah, It'd look so stupid if one of you didn't have matching hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Yeah in terms of the proper organised ones they can go do one. I don't own a christmas jumper but I did a 12 pubs last year so I just wore my normal clothes just me and the lads, we had a few rules but they weren't enforced at all. Went around the 12 pubs got fairly smashed then headed home 70 quid down the drain. Was good craic because of who I was with but not worth it at all. 12 cans and a takeaway in one of the lads' gaffs would've been better(we didn't get in to all the pubs and had to queue for a while for some of the pints) and a hell of a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

12 pub ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

And to top it off its usually the most loud obnoxious "I LOVE ORGANISING" girl in the group in charge too

I'm sorry but women have no place at a twelve pubs...for one they only drink every third pub or something like that. And most importantly I don't want to be near women when I am struggling with my 8th pint of the night :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I'm sorry but women have no place at a twelve pubs...for one they only drink every third pub or something like that. And most importantly I don't want to be near women when I am struggling with my 8th pint of the night :pac:

Women probably feel exactly the same!

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Women probably feel exactly the same!

Ah sure they'd only be taking advantage of me....vultures they are around Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

endacl wrote: »
    Ah. Belligerent drunks.
    userod wrote: »
    I hope your liver agrees with you.

What a petty attitude to have.

I said I drink how and when I like and ye straight away presume that A. I'm a belligerent drunk and B. I drink to such excess that my liver is in a jocker.

I've been out twice perhaps 3 times since September. I do my 5k weekend run the morning afterwards. Like I said I drink how and when I like but ye straight jump on the boards high horse.

Nice attitude ye have on how others chose to live their lives too btw :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I said I drink how and when I like and ye straight away presume that A. I'm a belligerent drunk and B. I drink to such excess that my liver is in a jocker.

I've been out twice perhaps 3 times since September. I do my 5k weekend run the morning afterwards. Like I said I drink how and when I like but ye straight jump on the boards high horse.

Nice attitude ye have on how others chose to live their lives too btw :rolleyes:

I best not tell them I drink to excess then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I only do it to see the look on the faces of the patrons who have to look at me holding back a pish instead of staring aimlessly into a pint of Beamish wondering where it all went wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You need a big blonde with hollow legs. Magnificent creatures! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Bless them. They probably have no friends to do the 12 pubs with. I wonder why..

If people doing the 12 pubs is the only thing they have to worry about then they're doing OK.

jimgoose wrote: »
    You need a big blonde with hollow legs. Magnificent creatures! :)

Been there done that :pac:

Been there done that :pac:

Gidduptafugg!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A fella was floored at one last weekend in Cashel, some bars regulars don't take too kindly to this tradition. So just make sure to keep the noise level acceptable and respect the locals. :)

A fella was floored at one last weekend in Cashel, some bars regulars don't take too kindly to this tradition. So just make sure to keep the noise level acceptable and respect the locals. :)

Floored by a Big Blonde? I'm not surprised. Remember the Big Alien Bitch in "Aliens", Ted?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

jimgoose wrote: »
    Floored by a Big Blonde? I'm not surprised. Remember the Big Alien Bitch in "Aliens", Ted?? ;)

A big ignorant south Tipperary farmer did the damage apparently.

A big ignorant south Tipperary farmer did the damage apparently.

<SPLUUUUURT!!>

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KTHV

I've worked in pubs in both Norway and England (where I am now) - and find that its not an isolated thing.

Norwegians do the 12 pubs thing - but they call it Julbord (Christmas Table) - where they normally go for a big meal first before heading to as many bars and such as possible to end the night.

Its pretty easy to spot these groups - although they don't tend to have the "BIBLE OF RULES" (down with organised Religion) - they all come in dressed in suits/dinner jackets. But the behaviour is the same - pushing through to the bar - taking an age to order - and then insisting on standing at the bar preventing the usual crowd from getting to it - being obnoxiously loud. You would have thought at €9 a pint they'd show a bit more restraint :D

England - we don't have the wackyness of the Admin Nazis imposing their brand of "You will have fun when I say" on everyone in a 3 mile radius. It's back to the old days of 1 hour in each place (or there abouts) - couple of pints in each if you so wish, then move on. Although the Christmas jumper thing is starting to be a thing now.

But the worst lot are the "I only come in once a year crowd" - who don't understand how to use a pub in the correct manner.

Thankfully - someone created a satirical guide based on how to use the pub so you don't piss others off.
    HOW TO GO TO THE PUB

It’s that festive time of year when decent, honest boozers are plagued by non-drinkers. And not real non-drinkers, not people who don’t ever drink, they’re fine. We’re talking about people who don’t go near a pub for 11 months out of the year, the kind of awful human beings who buy their beer from supermarkets with the weekly shop, people who consume such a laughable quantity of alcohol that they can only be designated as “non-drinkers”.

Whether it’s the Christmas Work’s Do or a Festive Drink With Friends, you are ruining pubs for the rest of us. Everyone hates you. Every actual drinker in the pub hates you and all the serving staff hate you. You’re awful. Here’s a guide on how to not be quite so awful.

[Before we start it’s worth pointing out that this guide is NOT sexist and misogynistic, it’s just that 98% of these things apply almost exclusively to women, because women are so very bad at The Pub]

Do Not Approach The Bar Until You Know What You Want

The bar is an intricate machine full of seperate-yet-interconnecting cogs. It is NOT the place to think or choose or decide. The engine only works if everyone knows their place and performs their function. Do you hear that collective groan as you ask the Bartender if they’ve got Cranberry Juice? Or as you turn around to ask Barbara what she wants to drink? That groan is you single-handedly sucking life away from your fellow drinkers. Make a decision first, then go to the bar and order what you’ve selected. Just like ANY OTHER FORM OF COMMERCE!

Don’t Start Drinking At 4pm

You’re NOT a drinker. We haven’t seen you all year. You’re an amature, so don’t start out with a Marathon. You can’t just rock up to the Premier League one day saying “I’m Match Fit, lads!” This is why you’re puking and crying before nine o’clock at night.

You ARE In A Round

I don’t care who you’re with, how many of you there are or how well you know them. You are in a Round with all the people you came in with. That’s how it works. You see those twenty-five loud, burly, drunken Rugby Players on the other side of the pub? They are a pleasure to serve compared to you. They order eight pints of lager, eight pints of Guiness, six pints of bitter and three Jack Daniels, then they pay the bill in one fell swoop. Your group orders ten drinks one-at-a-time and then pays for them all one-at-a-time as the rest of pub creeps closer to Death’s eternal grasp waiting for you to finish, despite the fact nine of you are drinking the same ****ing drink and the last person, THE LAST PERSON, wants a Guiness putting on. Every single person waiting to get served wants your group to die in a complicated house fire.

Know Your Locale

Look around you. What kind of drinking establishment are you in? Is it a pub or a bar? If there’s 85 lads watching football on the telly, stop trying to be a drunk, flirty attention-whore because it won’t work. If the walls are cluttered with offers of 6 Shots Of Neon Sourz For A Fiver, don’t try asking for that Single Malt whiskey you memorized from Mad Men. Equally, if it’s a pub adorned with wood furnishings and hand-pulls, stop trying to get the Landlord to make that ****ty cocktail you saw on Sex And The City.

Busy-Pub-Cheeky-Tongue
    Look at them, they’re doing it right

Hot Girls Get Served First

Welcome to Western Civilization.

iPhone Ettiquette

Okay, the music isn’t great. It’s nothing to write home about. But it’s been specifically selected to offend the least amount of people. It’s background music. If you want anything else, then you want to be at a club or a gig. If, however, you’ve decided to “do the pub a favour” by blaring out a playlist from your iPhone, then you are a ****. A prize, prize ****.

Attracting Attention

Newsflash: You are NOT next. You might have been in the bar queue longer than anybody else, but that doesn’t mean you’re next. Do y’know why? Because there are no Official Rules Of Queueing At The Bar. The Bartender is 100% in charge of who is next. So do not piss them off. Yes, they can see you. You do not need to bang your change on the top of the bar. You do not need to wave your money around in the air, as if you’re the only person in the room with a tenner (unless it’s a Strip Club). You especially do not need to click your fingers like a Parisian Cafe Prick or whistle like a Shepherd herding his flock. These tactics will only achieve one outcome: no matter how long you’ve been waiting up until this point, you’ve just moved yourself to the back of the queue.

Preferential Treatment

If an old bloke sat at the bar gets served before you do, and the Bartender knows him by name and even seems to know what he’s drinking before he orders it, just shut the **** up. That’s Ray. Ray drinks here all the time. Ray drinks here five times a week, every week. Ray’s custom pays the bills. Ray and the other Regulars keep the pub open eleven months of the year whilst you’re having diner parties and bulk-buying booze from the supermarket. Yes, they get preferential treatment. Accept it and shut the **** up.

Time Is Time

Pubs don’t stop serving because they hate you (that’s a lie, sometimes they do) or because it’s funny or because they get bored of selling beer. It’s a legal requirement for them to stop serving at a designated time. Once Time is called, they are legally unable to sell anymore beer. You cannot cajole them into selling more, because it’s a legal requirement. You cannot bribe them into selling more, either with the promise of drinks or money, because it’s a legal requirement. You cannot reason or argue them into selling more, because it’s a legal ****ing requirement. “Who’s gonna know? There’s nobody around, I won’t tell anyone.” THAT’S HOW THE HOLOCAUST STARTED!

See you in twelve months, you ****ing pricks.

To see the author pouring pints in person, visit The Market Vaults in Stafford.

I personally don't have a problem with any groups - as long as their respectful of others and where they are - I even go out of my way to chat with them, you never know, if they have a good time - they might be back in future...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    50 of us did it in Cork last weekend

Brilliantly organised

30 mins per pub, bell rings after 25 mins, 1 drink per pub, after 30 mins outside for photo then move on

Simples when done right and you have good organiser

That organised Pavlov's dog crap can fcuk right off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 KTHV

Saying that - if someone did come into our place with a bell - I'd confiscate it immediately - you can have it back as you leave.

And if they kicked off - I'd ask the whole group to leave making sure that they are loudly informed that it was down to the bellringer being a tit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

That organised Pavlov's dog crap can fcuk right off.

+1 I'd love someone to try ringing a bell at me when I'm out for a pint. I'd shove it where even Mike Oldfield wouldn't find it.

Advertisement