Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 or 30 amp connectors

Options
  • 11-12-2014 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Stupid question lads but help settle an argument please a socket has to be removed and joined in connectors in a back box (cupboard in the way) six or seven sockets on circuit radial 20amp breaker would you use 15 or30amp connectors ?

I've done it in 30 amp as I always have done,(piece of mind)it's the way I was thought,but my mate is saying it's not necessary and he's adamant 15 will do,but obviously that will depend what's plugged into the sockets ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

Has to be 30 amp for me as 20 amp breaker is there to protect cables and accessories. I admit more than 20 amps will flow on breaker depending on characteristic but generally you should size connectors accordingly therefore if 20 amp is not available only 15 then most people would use common sense and size to next size up...not down so in this case its a 30. Just make sure connector catches all conductors and none are left loose!

Also just to add that position of join is important also as the load passing could be different at different points/positions on circuit

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Stupid question lads but help settle an argument please a socket has to be removed and joined in connectors in a back box (cupboard in the way) six or seven sockets on circuit radial 20amp breaker would you use 15 or30amp connectors ?

I've done it in 30 amp as I always have done,(piece of mind)it's the way I was thought,but my mate is saying it's not necessary and he's adamant 15 will do,but obviously that will depend what's plugged into the sockets ?

You have made the correct choice.

However this connection must comply with ET101:2008, 526.3 which states "All connections shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance".

If this joint complies with the above regulation, then it begs the question, why did you not just leave the socket outlet?

If this joint complies with the above regulation, then it begs the question, why did you not just leave the socket outlet?'

Maybe the socket would end up inside the cupboard and the OP didnt want to leave the socket face on as a potential hazard could then occur whereby someone could plug i.e a heater inside the cupboard the OP is probably just been responsible and using common sense to eliminate a potential hazard from arising.

Or maybe the cupboard is partially covering the socket face so how would the OP remove socket face afterwards for inspection? He is obvisously removing the socket face for a good reason :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Par1 wrote: »
    If this joint complies with the above regulation, then it begs the question, why did you not just leave the socket outlet?'

Maybe the socket would end up inside the cupboard and the OP didnt want to leave the socket face on as a potential hazard could then occur whereby someone could plug i.e a heater inside the cupboard the OP is probably just been responsible and using common sense to eliminate a potential hazard from arising.

Or maybe the cupboard is partially covering the socket face so how would the OP remove socket face afterwards for inspection? He is obvisously removing the socket face for a good reason :)

Maybe.
    You are making a lot of assumptions, I think it would be best to let the OP answer this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The 15 amp and 30 amp connectors is an interesting one.

As in, its likely 15A connectors are rated for the current the connector is able to carry without undue heating, they are 15 amp when the connected wires are only connected under a screw each, and the load current is fully flowing through the metal of the connector. Let the connected wires overlap, and the rating is likely to be a fair bit higher, even though the connector is still a 15A rated one.

Anyway, 30 amp connectors for the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Bruthal wrote: »
    The 15 amp and 30 amp connectors is an interesting one.

As in, its likely 15A connectors are rated for the current the connector is able to carry without undue heating, they are 15 amp when the connected wires are only connected under a screw each, and the load current is fully flowing through the metal of the connector. Let the connected wires overlap, and the rating is likely to be a fair bit higher, even though the connector is still a 15A rated one.

Anyway, 30 amp connectors for the op.
    Considering no one has any way of knowing if cables will be actually be overlapped, surely the minimum rating of the connector is what should be expected? Ambiguity may exist in certain situations perhaps, but they are not controlled situations so could never be relied on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

cast_iron wrote: »
    Considering no one has any way of knowing if cables will be actually be overlapped, surely the minimum rating of the connector is what should be expected? Ambiguity may exist in certain situations perhaps, but they are not controlled situations so could never be relied on.

I was not advising anything other than using 30 amp.

I was simply adding my own thoughts on the subject. It clearly states the op should use 30A connectors.

Advertisement