Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should we do...

Options
  • 11-12-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭

We found out that baby is due in late July. We are having an early scan a few days before Christmas, at which point we'll tell my parents. However, they are talking about booking a holiday next July now. We dont want to say anything until the scan goes without any issue but we also dont want them to book a holiday away the week of the due date...I'm sure they wouldn't want to be away around this time, however they could go in early July..

I could tell them to wait until January with the holiday sales, but they are actively looking now so I don't think they could wait until then. It is a family holiday with my other siblings so a level of organisation is required, and my dad likes to be organised.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Tell them now. Totally understand wanting to wait until the scan is ok, but god forbid it wasn't, would u not be telling them anyway?? Make sure they understand you wouldn't have said anything except for the holiday plans. In case they get excited and think it's ok to talk about it with rest of family.
    Also even with a due date of late July, babies often have their own schedule, your parents might not want to go away in July at all to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

I agree with theLuggage, I would just tell them. I told my parents immediately because if, god forbid, something did go wrong I would want them to be in the know for support, my husband is great but my parents have been down this road. Other non-immediate family, friends and various nosy parkers can afford to wait a bit longer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Sure they could book earlier or later than your due date and you could go over or under yourself. You just can't predict these things. My OHs family booked a holiday for 4 days after my due date ( they knew and all) baby arrived on time, but they were sick so couldn't visit anyway. THey didn't see our son til he was 2 weeks old. They got sent loads of pics. You just can't really plan these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

You could just say you cant afford to book it before Christmas, and then tell them after. How many weeks are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Sure they could book earlier or later than your due date and you could go over or under yourself. You just can't predict these things. My OHs family booked a holiday for 4 days after my due date ( they knew and all) baby arrived on time, but they were sick so couldn't visit anyway. THey didn't see our son til he was 2 weeks old. They got sent loads of pics. You just can't really plan these things.

Oh definitely agree but your partners family knew when you were due. I'd be annoyed if I was let book a holiday around the time of a due date if I planned on being around and could holiday a different time of year.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah I know that I'm just saying even if they rearranged their plans it still might not work out!

I personally wouldn't tell early again no matter what. When I miscarried it was very hard to have to back track and I wish I hadn't told anyone so early. ( not that I'm saying that'll happen to you of course but that's where I'd stand!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Oh yeah I know that I'm just saying even if they rearranged their plans it still might not work out!

I personally wouldn't tell early again no matter what. When I miscarried it was very hard to have to back track and I wish I hadn't told anyone so early. ( not that I'm saying that'll happen to you of course but that's where I'd stand!)

To be fair there's really no harm in telling people early in the vast majority of cases. We told everyone the day we found out at 4 weeks. And if the worst happens, it's better that close family know as keeping grief a secret is not a good idea.

No offense intended btw.

No offence taken. I didn't find my family any support anyway. THey just ignored it. It's a very personal grief to miscarriage, no one really understands if they haven't been through it personally. I was still working through it over 6 months later

Advertisement