Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worms??

• 11-12-2014 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

So I was just getting into bed this evening when I saw a little crawly thing in my bed, thought nothing of it really, just picked it up in a tissue and threw it out. Then I saw a couple more! They were small, about half an inch maybe and whiteish in colour. I now think these must be dog worms. My little dog sleeps at the end of the bed, although lately has been getting under the covers sometimes with the cold! Now he is fast asleep at my feet but I am paranoid about these worms. I can't see anymore but I'm worried they are everywhere! I will bring him to the vet in the morning for a tablet but in the meantime my worry is, are these worms dangerous to me? I am 6 months pregnant. Help!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What sort of thickness were they OP? Thread-like? Thicker?
    And were they wriggly? Can you descirbe the movement? Fast/slow? Whip-like? Caterpillary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

OP they sound like tapeworm segments. Don't panic, as they are not infective during the first three weeks outside of the dog's body. Just get a worming tablet tomorrow that treats Taenia species and Dipylidium caninum specifically - check the product leaflet small print to confirm this. Most spot-on products like Advocate or Stronghold and some oral wormers such as Parazole don't treat all species of tapeworm.

Also check your dog for fleas as they are necessary for the lifecycle of one tapeworm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

DBB wrote: »
    What sort of thickness were they OP? Thread-like? Thicker?
    And were they wriggly? Can you descirbe the movement? Fast/slow? Whip-like? Caterpillary?

Thicker than thread-like. Slow enough movement, kind of like pulling themselves along.

boomerang wrote: »
    OP they sound like tapeworm segments. Don't panic, as they are not infective during the first three weeks outside of the dog's body. Just get a worming tablet tomorrow that treats Taenia species and Dipylidium caninum specifically - check the product leaflet small print to confirm this. Most spot-on products like Advocate or Stronghold and some oral wormers such as Parazole don't treat all species of tapeworm.

Also check your dog for fleas as they are necessary for the lifecycle of one tapeworm.

Thank you for your help. I will go to the vet in the morning and get a good worming tablet and hopefully that will do the trick. Do they take long to work do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    Thicker than thread-like. Slow enough movement, kind of like pulling themsees along.
    If you can see a black dot at one end of them, then they sound like maggots, fly larvae.
    Collect a few and bring them to the vet, but wise to get the wormer either way!

• Advertisement

Rancid wrote: »
    If you can see a black dot at one end of them, then they sound like maggots, fly larvae.
    Collect a few and bring them to the vet, but wise to get the wormer either way!

That's what I was getting at when I replied to the OP, I thought they might be gross maggots, but not as gross as tapeworm segments... If they are maggots, the question of where the little feckers came from must now be addressed! Any chance your dog has been rooting around in dead stuff and carried them in with him OP? Or could he have brought a dead thing into the house? It is very cold for maggots though.

That's what I was getting at when I replied to the OP, I thought they might be gross maggots, but not as gross as tapeworm segments... If they are maggots, the question of where the little feckers came from must now be addressed! Any chance your dog has been rooting around in dead stuff and carried them in with him OP? Or could he have brought a dead thing into the house? It is very cold for maggots though.

It's highly unlikely, the only place he is outside unsupervised is the back garden and I haven't seen anything there. I went to the vet this morning and they gave me a "drontal" tablet for him. Hopefully it does the trick and quickly!

We really need a puking smiley on this website :p:o

Don't forget to check him very thoroughly for fleas.

I had just adopted Josie my greyhound and was introducing her to my brother and his girlfriend for the first time. She had her new collar on, fancy lead and they were all about her. Next thing out of the corner of my eye I see a little tapeworm segment crawling down her thigh, cool as you like. Cue me shuffling sideways to stand in front of the horror of horrors so they wouldn't see it. The doggy date was abandoned and I HURTLED down the town to the nearest chemist for an emergency Drontal!

• Advertisement

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Like I say, where's the puking smiley? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Like I say, where's the puking smiley? :o

I'd like to second the request please for a puking smiley - this one: :p is far too happy looking!!

Thanks for all the advice everyone! That tablet seems to have done the trick :-)

Advertisement