Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience with installed applications with hardlocks

Options
  • 12-12-2014 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Basically, there are two apps running on this machine with seperate hard locks. One of the applications won't work.

I have no other details as of yet....I don't even know if the hardlock manufacturers are the same.

I would think each one would install as a seperate device but what happens if they are both using the same driver....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

Each hardlocks have their own drivers but sometimes they share drivers (in case the manufacturer is the same). If they use same driver ask the hardlock manufacturer if the licenses can be combined. Mostl likely your issue is that both apps are racing to get info from the driver and one is failing.
    I had same issue once and it was a bag of hassle to pinpoint the exact issue and the manufacturers are not forthcoming as usual. Other option is to use different machines for different apps provided the hardlock is not unique for the machine.
    I had two machines set up for the two apps. Much easier to buy another machine then pinpoint the exact issue.

Let me know how you got along.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 askcompq

free_man wrote: »
    Each hardlocks have their own drivers but sometimes they share drivers (in case the manufacturer is the same). If they use same driver ask the hardlock manufacturer if the licenses can be combined. Mostl likely your issue is that both apps are racing to get info from the driver and one is failing.
    I had same issue once and it was a bag of hassle to pinpoint the exact issue and the manufacturers are not forthcoming as usual. Other option is to use different machines for different apps provided the hardlock is not unique for the machine.
    I had two machines set up for the two apps. Much easier to buy another machine then pinpoint the exact issue.

Let me know how you got along.

I looked at it today and didn't come across any issue....I suppose I just did something the "regular half tech" office person didn't do....

I didn't spend much time looking into details of the hardlock etc. but I know the software name so I might check it out.

Sorry I don't have anything more to offer.

Maybe you can tell me how the one computer license works though. If a machine fails can I just add an imaged hard disk to a new computer and continue. I'm thinking of a backup solution that's quick to get things back up and running. Surely, it's just a case of adding your one "dongle" to another machine....

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

askcompq wrote: »
    Maybe you can tell me how the one computer license works though. If a machine fails can I just add an imaged hard disk to a new computer and continue. I'm thinking of a backup solution that's quick to get things back up and running. Surely, it's just a case of adding your one "dongle" to another machine....

A computer license which is hardware specific is normally tied to machine GUID. So reimaging incase of HDD failure will require the GUID to be copied to the new machine. But this is self evident in document provided by vendor.
    If you just bought software and hardware dongle came along, it will most likely will not be tied to the machine but used by software to prevent more than one use of the software.
    You can try by installing the software on a new machine and then connect the dongle to the machine. If the software works, you have another machine with the software and also a backup in case main machine fails :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Well free_man, I am using my main account here. I set the other up for my business but I will continue on using this after reading the rules.

How does the hardware specific license work? Does it connect to the internet to register the guid upon installation or something?

Thanks loads.... :)

Advertisement